Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Not Drunk Enough updates twice a week with reasonable regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, in Kiwi Blitz, it looks like our protagonist is set to replace yet another part of her body with robot parts!

Of course, given that she was already wearing headphones 24/7, she may not notice the change.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's impressive how Kiwi Blitz manages to make its villains threatening because they're dumb and not in spite of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

John Allison is one of the very best comic artists out there. I wish he'd gain some confidence instead of endlessly fretting on Twitter about his popularity.

He is probably concerned about his old age. Everybody should join me on his PayPal subscription thing so that he can one day afford his old people medications!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I suppose if King Radical becomes undead, he's technically dead and no longer the President.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I appreciate Ben's thinly veiled contempt for Gear and everything Gear aspires to do, because maaaan gently caress Gear.

This is what I mean when I say I appreciate Kiwi Blitz because it has villains who are dangerous because they're stupid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it's not like rich minorities don't exist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Can someone explain what's being alluded to in the latest Dr McNinja?

The doc took pizza to Ben's grave at some point after he died, fulfilling a promise of some kind that I forget.

I think the implication must be that this guy is Old McNinja somehow or is otherwise not the McNinja who delivered the pizza. Only, I have no idea how this could actually be the case, so.

EDIT: For that matter I'm also not sure if taking his mask off would show a difference between Doc and Old.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It feels like the most likely outcome is Faye and Bubbles becoming partners in their own robot body shop.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That pretty much does look like Zola's head, which is a different shape from most other characters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

She's been mentioned before as "someone who is almost certainly Lucrezia in a new alias."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, I guess Dresden Codak updated last month while the site was broken and I didn't notice?

Stand Still, Stay Silent appears to be broken, too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You could also describe it as "the webcomic some guy did as a teenager before he went on to work on a bunch of super-popular shows like Steven Universe and then got his own show, OK KO!; wow, my generation is actually doing important things".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

People thought David "Ding Dong Bandit" Willis came up with something Eisner-worthy like this?

Willis has done some pretty good parodies along similar lines.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also being a teen again. Erin's pretty much the same height as Lottie, by the looks of things.

I think Lottie is just taller. Nobody has commented on Erin being younger, so I'm pretty sure she and the Boy haven't changed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

isn't the whole point of it of that it's always going nowhere, much like its aimless self-absorbed twentysomething-baristas-with-a-nice-apartment-in-New-York characters

I'm pretty sure they all explicitly have terrible apartments? Except possibly Marigold, who now has a nice place because she's moving up the corporate ladder.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phy posted:

Last night we were listening to the radio in the car on the way home, and my wife asked me why I liked "Love is a Battlefield".

I had absolutely no idea how to tell her it was because the chorus was featured in a comic about a Star Trek art museum curator as the punchline of a specific interpretation of an alien sculpture, wherein the broadcasting of the combination of the image of the sculpture and the interpretation thereof would crash the brain of nearly every living being, except for said curator and a hideous bugman, without looking like a bit of a twat.

Try putting it on top of your head first!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Look, if people who draw four-panel comics about twentysomethings doing cute repartee at each other for over a decade decide to try to branch out and start drawing action scenes, I think it's our responsibility to encourage them.

I don't know what's up with the blue guy, either, though, although apparently he's old enough to have had sex before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

3. some sort of magical nanite container I guess, purely from context

It's one of the magical nanite life vests they're all wearing. Gavia used the nanomachines in it to restore her own personal stock that was previously sucked out of her (apparently since Nanomachines Can Do Anything, it's not that unreasonable that Gavia can restore her powers by grabbing random nanites from anywhere).

EDIT: I don't actually know why Gavia flipped out, but I'm gonna go with "she decided that since they were prisoners anyway, blowing up the ship and sending everybody out into the vacuum (with a space suit) gave her the best odds of ditching Church and his boss and keeping them out of her beloved home."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This is a retelling of the Oldbourne story from a long time ago, in which these same two guys appeared.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

....oh, that's why Poppy asked under what circumstances it would be possible to teleport a possum.

That's kind of gross given that it really ought to be possible to accomplish the same effect with paid possum retainers. Although, I guess maybe the possum in the chair is being paid? Poppy's look of resignation does seem more in line with "there's a hideously uncomfortable possum stuffed under the cushions; this is the kind of job my people have to take" than "the remains of a still-hideously-alive possum have been strung into the chair guts to produce an anti-magic field in terrible suffering."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Niton posted:

Poppy herself also explicitly confirms that Opossum blood has a magic suppressing effect in the previous chapter. There's a lot of circumstancial evidence and it doesn't go anywhere good.

Oh, yeah, and if the opossum is a constant blood donor instead of just having to sit in the back of the chair because nobody wants to look at opossums all day, that would explain why the system has occasional wobbles.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like a trap.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Do people still read Questionable Content? What's the general opinion on that nowadays?

It's a reasonably good mild comedy webcomic about twenty-somethings living in apartments.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is it just me or is Hugo making evil grins whenever Erin isn't looking directly at him?

Also, seriously, Friedrich, just make up a lie or something. Don't tell Poppy "you don't have to do anything; just sit back and wait while deceiving your girlfriend who incidentally I may have to assassinate."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

has no scrying died for good?

it was a good comic

It seems to be gone and this makes me sad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reading over the end of Octopus Pie again, it holds together better than I remembered. Ollie's very out-of-character decision to turn mentorly and close the shop to give Eve a week off makes a lot more sense when you realize that he's planning to take the opportunity to torch the place for insurance money.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a feature, not a bug. Shell is dangerous because they're stupid. The majority of the issues the kids have to deal with have come about purely because Lulenski and Rjinder are both idiots who are too desperate/proud to admit they've hosed up. So they just keep trying to put out the fire by smashing it with a hammer.

This is one of the things I like about Kiwi Blitz, too.

Jones has bitten off way more than she can chew and is basically doomed, but she's still very capable of killing all the main characters before she self-destructs because it isn't going to occur to her to cut her losses.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I continue to enjoy QC and Elliott and Clinton should kiss.

Instead, let's criticize Dresden Codak, because I still haven't exactly penetrated what's supposed to be going on there. Like, did Balthazar get replaced with a double at some point or did the writer just decide to reveal that he secretly had a completely different personality all along?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hopefully the end of Tackleford will result in Tim escaping his abusive wife once and for all, although if Scout has to be raised by Shelley that might be a bit hard on her. Or not! Shelley feels like she'd either be a wonderful mother or an amazingly awful one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Riley basically hates everything Tim likes and is willing to do really underhanded things to separate him from those things, including "his job" and "all his friends except her."

It's surprisingly textbook emotional abuse; it just doesn't get played up much because Riley rarely appears in person.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Galvanik posted:

It's having the opposite effect on me. Shining a light on how unpleasant Tim and Shelly are, and how they keep falling upward, really makes me not want to read more about them.

I don't know that Shelley has done anything wrong here aside from "taking a man away from the woman who already threw him out," which I guess depends on how willing you are to buy into the idea that Riley is a really abusive person that Tim is better off without.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

So... Poppy O'Possum is really coming to a head, huh?

This is why it's important to talk with your partner about getting involved in a coup before you actually do it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think you ought to discourage people drawing comics about twenty-somethings being witty in coffee shops from branching out and doing new things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, looking back at Kiwi Blitz, Thirteen told Jones that Blitz and Donner would be attacking through the garage, but didn't tell her that that was just a distraction.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure your mistake was expecting a character's arc to be suddenly resolved by adults offscreen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dorothy was attacked by the campus rapist, who wanted to kill or maim her for outing him before he was arrested. Amber was there at the time, and because she is secretly violent and dangerous, she did not have much trouble taking the knife from the guy who usually only commits crimes against people who are already unconscious. She then proceeded to mess him up in ways that the audience isn't privy to, but were probably more than a little bit worse than she actually needed to do to render him harmless.

Amber is not under arrest for this because the security cameras and witnesses made it very clear that Ryan was the attacker and Amber stabbed him with his own weapon.

None of the police officers involved ever discovered that Amber is the campus vigilante or that she has dangerous untreated mental illness, so that doesn't come into the picture.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ryan dropped the knife which meant that Amber would have had to stoop down to pick it up after subduing him. You're kidding yourself if you think a university would let a student go back to school a few days after something like that happened.

I admit I'm not familiar with university protocols for how to deal with students who stab their attackers up real good, but this is the same university that decided to deal with "one of our RAs is a serious alcoholic and she's sleeping with one of the students she's supposed to be supervising" by, uh, ignoring it. Admittedly a big donor pushed them to do that, but I'm just saying, there's not a big commitment to justice for justice's sake here.

quote:

What melodramatic loving soap opera

Soap opera is pretty much what this strip is, yes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

David Willis really likes to show off in Dumbing of Age how his values have changed, but stylistically he's the same as he's always been. He can make some fun jokes to draw you in, but he's always inexorably drawn towards making the most ridiculous drama plots he can imagine. I think he's trying to make Amazi-Girl into one of the darker versions of Batman.

He's still the same person who in his gag-a-day comic had one of the characters sacrifice her life to save the main character from drunk driving and then followed it up with a wacky story where another of the characters gets kidnapped by aliens.

This is still something you could say in many fewer words with just "soap opera."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

As I was saying somewhere else, it feels weird because it seems like they're trying to infer that Winslow has some kind of obligation to "pay it forward" that doesn't seem to apply to anybody else in the story.

I mean, May honestly has a pretty good reason to be annoyed; she's just awful.

• Locked thread