Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Last Cowboy is a very cool sci-fi story about a human girl raised by aliens, and also about the scientists who are studying said alien species's planet. The art is gorgeous and I'm pretty sure it's goon-made, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

They are very good at what they're trying to do, but what they're trying to do is something that's utterly horrible and ruins my mood for like an hour after each one I accidentally read.

So good job I guess???? Maybe some people are jnto that but it kinda just actively repulses me at this point, especially when they keep getting posted to this thread.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fortis posted:

Every time I see the loving cat one I am rendered completely miserable and am then compelled to go hug my cat, and let me tell you, she's getting really tired of my poo poo at this point.

As someone who had an outdoors cat mysteriously disappear one day when I was a kid, I feel your pain. :smith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tollymain posted:

how many ghost busting comics are there anyways

there's also Wilde Life, which is admittedly less about busting ghosts and more like living with a chill ghost bro and encountering other weird supernatural stuff

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Hasn't Homestuck been in development hell over its video game for like 3 years now?

The studio they contracted to develop it stole the Kickstarter money to develop the next King's Quest game, so the Homestuck dudes basically had to start the entire thing over from scratch.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea. What qualifies them? Is suicide the only one? As you said, he's had violence, attempted rape...

It just seems needless. A story shouldn't require you to take yourself out of the narrative to warn you that something bad is going to happen. Imagine if you were watching a horror movie and the screen halted for the words to flashing a warning about violence before it resumed the bloody murdering abruptly..

I don't get it. I've had loved ones attempt suicide, reading a comic where it happens to another character does not trigger me. I can't help but feel like any person reading this ought to feel insulted, like we're somehow incapable of handling a "difficult" moment in this silly webcomic about college students loving.

Horror movies DO have trigger warnings beforehand, though? The rating board exists for a reason, y'know.

It's all cool and good that it doesn't bother you, but different people react to reminders of trauma differently, especially when it's brought up in a sudden and unexpected context (i.e, "a silly webcomic about college students loving.")

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Elysiume posted:

They have them at the beginning of the movie, not immediately before what's intended to be a significant moment.

True. However, a 2-ish hour long movie is a different case than a long-running comic strip that can have its tone change over time.

I'm not saying that it was handled well in this particular case. Probably the best way to handle it imo would be to put the warning at the beginning of the story arc, that way people who wanna peace out can peace out, and the flow of the story isn't broken up immediately before poo poo gets bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But that's not what I described, I'm talking about him inserting this warning right in the middle of the on-going story arc (Or for the movie example, interrupting the movie midway to insert a warning that a machete death was about to happen). If you were going to clue in the reader that there was going to be an attempted suicide, you could have foreshadowed it in some small way ahead of time. It's certainly not that jarring in the context of the comic, which makes it all the stranger that it remains. If you're going to be traumatized by a cartoon strip, that's unfortunate, but in attempting to cater to the hypothetical person who will experience extreme PTSD from a cartoon panel, the author has instead taken a scene that might have had a decent emotional impact (and was certainly intended to) and deflated it before it's even shown.

That's fair. However, you were saying that "It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea," which is absolutely not true. One instance of a good concept being handled poorly doesn't invalidate the entire concept.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The post literally right before me is from someone who appreciates the content warning but I'm a whiny pissbaby who loudly speaks over survivors of trauma and assumes their opinions for them, and also doesn't understand that non-war trauma can legitimately give people PTSD

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't like what it says about me that my initial reaction to the page was to laugh and move on. I'm ashamed of that. After reading the reactions of people who were hurt by the slur, I realize that my privilege allowed me to overlook how seeing it here affects people who have been targeted by it in real life. I want to add my voice to those requesting that that speech bubble be revised to something other than a real-world slur. I'm sure Minna didn't realize the full implications of the joke, but I hope that she will change it now that many readers have explained why it was hurtful.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable opinion to have though?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Artists should change their work to the audience's demands

Artists shouldn't say racist poo poo, even if it's unintentionally racist

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

I'll just start ticking down the days until this thread has tired itself of throwing useless little censures against a comic half of us never read in the first place. I give it about five days- more if the author does something in that time.

You know why it's useless? Because there are actual problems in the world, and this is the thing people are getting worked up about. It's the same phenomenon as gamergate- there might be a legitimate issue at the heart of it, but the only reason people give a poo poo is because it's butted it's way into the all encompassing world of their entertainment and it's an easy target. It's useless because given the perspective of the world we live in making a case against this is a hilariously hollow and wasted effort. That is the entire reason the argument is funny- noone in this thread would give a poo poo if it didn't happen in a webcomic.

"Things are bad, so we should ignore everything that's less bad" is a pretty bad argument tbh. Like, sure, it'd be less bad for me to go up to some random dude and slap him in the face instead of kicking him in the balls, but he'd still have the right to go "dude wtf"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Chair In A Basket posted:

if media has bad things in it, then it must be because the creator of the media is bad and hopes those bad things happen/are real.

shun the creator and burn their works.

Separation of art and author is a good thing to keep in mind, yeah, but that doesn't stop it from being skeevy when an author has a character drop a racial slur in what's obviously supposed to be a comic relief moment and then issue a non-apology

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

I guess the application seems a little obtuse then. Can these characters understand each other, or are they constantly translating for each other? I can understand wanting to have complicated dynamics wherein not all of your characters fully understand each other, but it both seems like it would be a better fit for film and is also kind of hampered by the characters looking so similar and not having a really hugely different cultural or moral background. Five anglo-saxons walk into a bar, but they're all wearing different looking pants! That kind of thing.

A combination. Some characters share languages, there's one dude that only speaks Finnish (I think) so everything has to be translated for him by the only other person who speaks it, stuff like that. The character bio page lists the languages each character speaks, and the flags in the speech bubbles indicate what language is currently being spoken, but yeah it's kinda hard to keep track of.

V this is a much better worded version of what I was trying to say, it's been a while since I read through the comic.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

:yeah:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

I really miss Brawl in the Family

speaking of which, read Brawl in the Family if you haven't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

you can ignore everything else botl says but this one is legit. saying it's sfw might be a bit of a stretch tho

Also, Rice Boy.

• Locked thread