Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Hi, I do On the Shoulders of Giants which is like a post-apocalyptic slice of life, could I please be put in the wall of links in the first post?

I also am OP for the Making Comics thread so you know I'm amazing and am all about webcomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tenebrais posted:

Is this a change in what new artists are doing, or is it just that slightly-fantastical slice-of-life comics don't get popular at all now since a lot of the old classics still exist? (Or otherwise aren't interesting now that a lot of more focused stories are around)
Webcomics have really changed in the past 15+ years and the older model of "update no matter what and keep going forever" isn't the only guaranteed way to get readers anymore. It's still pretty foolproof, and a wildly inconsistent schedule will hurt a new comic, but it's not as bad I think.

From my experience, it's been a combination of things. For one, the move away from newspaper-style grid strips--which were easier to do for daily updates--and more of the indie comics feel getting more traction. Also, kids that grew up on less conventional comics and graphic novels are old enough to be making their own stuff now, that kind of thing changed the visual landscape, too.

Social media helps a lot, too. I mean it used to be forums for advertising your new comic, maybe a banner exchange or you'd make it up the ranks of a top webcomic listing service. If you were lucky a big name comic might link to you for a day or two, but it was hit and miss if readers would stay. It was really hard to get people coming back if you weren't doing rigorous updates.

Nowadays, with so many different opportunities for cross-linking and networking, you can get more invested readers even if your stuff is relatively new if it looks polished and promising. Plus people can follow you in any number of ways and get instantly notified when you update rather than hope they remember to open their "Rarely Updates" bookmark folder.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The worst I can say about GtH is that it reminds me at times of Kazerad and his unabashedly cynical approach to pandering with his webcomic endeavors. Which isn't a bad thing because ultimately, pandering to rather underrepresented groups isn't the worst thing in the world, but I don't think it has much meat as a story independent of those qualities. :effort:

Can you really call it pandering when it's drawn by someone who herself is a member of those specific groups? It's not a built-by-committee story, it seems to me it's one person's worldview and experiences presented for like people.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tollymain posted:

altered frontier's been pretty good lately, though no recent page jumps out at me as exemplary on its own

Aw, thanks :) . I'm finishing up the chapter tomorrow and I've been getting some good feedback on it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

mycot posted:

I think I'm getting multiple webcomics confused again, is Strong Female Protagonist the one about someone whose sister is a famous superhero and I think has black and white drawings? And if it is, I'm guessing the plot drifted a lot since then.

As someone whose only exposure to it is what's been linked, I thought the art is surprisingly good, but the dialogue is distinctly in that "not trying to write a character anymore" territory.

You've got the right comic, you just have a couple things mixed up. It did start in black and white and there was a point in the story where the main character--the famous former superhero--goes back home and talks with her non-super powered sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tollymain posted:

does anybody know when altered frontier will come off hiatus?

Hi, I just plain haven't been doing much drawing lately for personal reasons. Working on it, but no definite date in mind.

• Locked thread