Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Keep in mind this is based on a fairly cursory skim.
I think it's awesome you've managed to write enough to have a playable system, that puts you ahead of 99% of rpg players. So keep it up!

Why are strength and endurance separate attributes? IE If I want to make Kramtok, Strongest Barbarian of Atlantis, I need to sink all 10 points into maxing my strength and endurance, but if I want to play niceguy92, smartest man on /MRA, I only need to sink 5 points into mind. On top of that, what role does it realistically have in the skill system? Constitution/endurance/toughness is pretty much always a reactive thing, any instance of actively using it pretty much can be handled just as easily with strength or whatever counts as your "has a lot of willpower" attribute. By way of analogy, splitting strength into strength and endurance makes as much sense as spiting agility into agility and reaction time. All of this is doubly an issue because you also have a trait that lets you take more damage in a fight.

I'd also argue the character creation stuff can go at the end of the document, after we've learned how all this stuff works. Start by telling us the goals and intent of the system and what features are used to reach those goals and fulfill those intents. Since you are using 3d6, a curved rolling mechanic, a little sidebar that explains some of the basic probability features (stuff like your first +1 being worth a different amount than your 4th +1) would be really helpful too.

A system built around play by post is sorely needed, good on you for tackling it. On that same note, I'd have really liked to see the rules engage with one of the key features of the medium: long passages of expository and descriptive text.

I didn't come across any text that was garbled incomprehensible nonsense. That's something you've got over a fair number of published popular systems. Keep doing that it's really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread