Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gomersacct
Apr 9, 2014
I have started playing with Alpha 1 access. Right now it is just stability testing with some basic archetypes to play around with. So far the game is very very stable and having lots of fun building my own abilities. Any other goons doing FNF? What are your in game names? I am playing under Ragemasi atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
nvm wrong thread

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 1, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

get out, we dont need that in this game

Every game needs that. EVERY GAME! If only because it causes such sweet drama.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want there to be a farmer class, I want to grow crops in the game and sell them at the market.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I want there to be a farmer class, I want to grow crops in the game and sell them at the market.

Good news, you can do that in real life RIGHT NOW.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Shodai posted:

Good news, you can do that in real life RIGHT NOW.

1/10 spent most of the day in a tractor listening to country music going extremely slow, wouldn't recommend.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
http://www.tentonhammer.com/feature/classes-class-pride-more-discussion-camelot-unchained-panel-dragon-con-2015

quote:

Following up the previous article I wrote from the 2015 Dragon Con Camelot Unchained panel, another major theme of the discussion was class pride, or pride in being a specific class. This is a very, very interesting topic that I think should be touched on from the panel. We’ll first talk about what was discussed at the panel, and then follow it up with some of my own thoughts.

Originally, in the very first pitch for Camelot Unchained, classes were going to work what I call “Ultima style” where you basically assign skills to your character much like choosing your toppings on your sub sandwich or burrito at most modern American fast food chains. You go yeah I’d like some swords, magic, go heavy on the plate, but just a little bit of defense. However, the issue they found was that it didn’t really make you feel like you were part of a class, or role, or even the realm. There was no ownership – which I think is hella interesting, because think of it like this – if you customize a sandwich, that’s your sandwich. They should slap your name on front of it. Why yes, it’s a turkey, with extra bacon, avocado spread, light mayo, lettuce, and tomato, truly Bob’s Sandwich. Customizing a class, in a specific way, creates a situation in which this is uniquely your character, but likewise, it creates a sense of loneliness. This sandwich is only yours, but few may share love in bacon and avocado spread.

These analogies, however dumb they are, are uniquely mine. Please don’t hate them for my inadequacies, and thank goodness I didn’t delve into Big Macs vs. Whoopers.

Moving along, they decided to return to a class type system, where each class will have a role and this plays well with the RvR formula, in which you will feel like if you’re a warrior, you’re a warrior, that’s who you are, and you’re part of the realm. You have a purpose, a job, and you will fulfill it. This creates a sense of loyalty to the class, and the realm, because only warriors are part of one of the realms and that is where you belong.

Basically, they removed the classless system because the pride between creating your completely custom class and playing a custom class belonging to a specific role to a specific faction are two entirely different points, with the later fitting much better in an RvR scenario.

So, here’s some of my thoughts on it, not that I haven’t vomited enough of them on you by this point, nursing my wounds from Dragon Con still listening to terrible trap music for literally no reason. This is not only true, but critical to establish the idea of realm pride. The more nuanced your belonging becomes, the better your attachment to your realm becomes, until you hit peak sub-factions, at which point it doesn’t matter.

Like, in FFXIV, there are a variety of options that declare your character part of this moon thing and that sun thing, and you’re part of this city state and born under fourteenth constellation of the 94 th crescent moon. None of these options matter, though, outside of which city state you belong to, and even then by halfway through the story this diverges so far that it’s sort of pointless, and considering you can change jobs on the fly, you really don’t belong to anyone but yourself and the Scions of Fate.

This works very well for FFXIV, as a story based game, because your character works for many different factions and many different groups. In a pure PvP game like Camelot Unchained, where everything is determined through PvP (as a side note, there is PvE and crafting, and all that cool jam), you need some agency to get off your butt and do something, and you need a reason – spamming you with various allegiances isn’t going to really do it, but giving you a few critical things to take pride in will.

This can be in the form of rewards, which is the primary motivator. However, in Guild Wars 2, when it’s the only motivator, this makes players look for efficient ways to claim rewards. This creates the zerg, that circles around the map recapturing keeps as the other realms take them back, having very little in the way of actual PvP, and in most cases just being a farming circle route.

What you also need is pride, and you need a sense of belonging. You need to feel as if the enemy comes in and takes part of your land, then you need to take it back, for your realm. You need to showcase your skills as a warrior, for the realm, to show the opposing asymmetrical class equivalent that you’re better than them. You need that pride to fuel your desire to break off into smaller teams and ambush reinforcements. You need that pride to make you feel disgusted as you roll a spy character to snoop on the opposing team, Terms of Service, etiquette, and everything else be damned.

To this you need some nuance, beyond just the fact you’re in a realm. You need the right amount as well. Think about vanilla WoW and playing either a Paladin or Shaman. You belonged solely to the Alliance / Horde, and there was a lot of sense of all for the realm. As I mentioned earlier, you can’t just spam the player with it, it needs to be something that brews and builds within them. For the realm, it’s the setting, the terrain, the player attitudes of likeminded players who enjoy the specific lore and theme. Beyond that, there are people and guilds, the last bit of nuance the pride requires.

I think pride is an interesting word used here – it’s apropos, but also can be a negative condemnation, considering pride can be a bad thing – especially too much, but I don’t think it applies when you consider that you’re proud to be friends with those you enjoy playing with.

TL;DR, CU devs realize having completely open builds probably wouldn't work, so going to have traditional classes, with extensive customization.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not against the change. I look forward to seeing how things progress!

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
So this looks interesting. Is it interesting?

It looks interesting, especially cause I never got around to playing DAOC, but later heard nothing but good things about it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Trier posted:

It looks interesting, especially cause I never got around to playing DAOC, but later heard nothing but good things about it.

DAoC was quite good, mechanically, and was one of the few MMOs that got the whole RvR thing mostly correct, and gave guilds a purpose beyond being a social club. DAoC was pretty rough around the edges, and suffered the class fatigue that GW2 is currently dealing with -- some classes are very useful for RvR, but if you're not one of those classes, prepare for a life loneliness.

I think CU is trying to combat that, and we'll see. WAR, incidentally, got classes mostly correct, at least in open world PVP.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It depends on how many classes there are. WAR had the benefit of keeping roles functionally similar across factions. DAoC was not well managed in that regard. I recall Albion needing like 6-7 people to be completely functional, whereas Midgard needed 5 and Hibernia needed 3-4.

I wasn't aware GW2 had class fatigue in RvR. Does zerging not make up for their deficiencies anymore?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kimsemus posted:

DAoC was quite good, mechanically, and was one of the few MMOs that got the whole RvR thing mostly correct, and gave guilds a purpose beyond being a social club. DAoC was pretty rough around the edges, and suffered the class fatigue that GW2 is currently dealing with -- some classes are very useful for RvR, but if you're not one of those classes, prepare for a life loneliness.

I think CU is trying to combat that, and we'll see. WAR, incidentally, got classes mostly correct, at least in open world PVP.

this is some rose tinted glasses

it was good for its day since it didn't really have competition

it was horrible mechanically

Guilds could do what, own a keep, upgrade it, lose it at night unless they guarded it for a few days. Unless we are talking old frontiers.

There were a few classes that could debuff their own damage type and those were supreme.

No caps on how many targets aoes could hit was a big problem for a long time.

Rogues and archers being able to one shot something from stealth and stay in stealth.

Thanes literally having a lag hammer. Rune priests were the same for awhile.

30 minute cool downs on abilities that lasted 1-5 minutes or were instant and could be resisted.

The best move most melee had was a taunt or detaunt since it was low stamina usage.

They had to add in AAs to prevent melee trains from just hitting casters and even then they just gave an pbaoe root out but also gave the ability to purge that poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Trier posted:

Too soon to tell. As what will probably be one of the last big MMO development cycles, there's a few games that could end up real good, but a lot of them are indie and Kickstarter things that'll probably end up mediocre. CU is making a lot of nice noises, but it's too early to say.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

Guilds could do what, own a keep, upgrade it, lose it at night unless they guarded it for a few days. Unless we are talking old frontiers.

There were a few classes that could debuff their own damage type and those were supreme.

Rogues and archers being able to one shot something from stealth and stay in stealth.

30 minute cool downs on abilities that lasted 1-5 minutes or were instant and could be resisted.

The best move most melee had was a taunt or detaunt since it was low stamina usage.

They had to add in AAs to prevent melee trains from just hitting casters and even then they just gave an pbaoe root out but also gave the ability to purge that poo poo.

this was not at all my experience. maybe you played on a lovely server with lovely players.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

It depends on how many classes there are. WAR had the benefit of keeping roles functionally similar across factions. DAoC was not well managed in that regard. I recall Albion needing like 6-7 people to be completely functional, whereas Midgard needed 5 and Hibernia needed 3-4.

I wasn't aware GW2 had class fatigue in RvR. Does zerging not make up for their deficiencies anymore?

On Tier 1/2 servers, class fatigue is severe. Essentially you MUST have groups comprised of a core of Guardians and Warriors, with mesmers.

Anything else is virtually useless in group RvR PVP. Just utterly worthless because of the steamrolls that are taking place. The entire server tier system is something else 100% broken as well, but that's a separate issue.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

this was not at all my experience. maybe you played on a lovely server with lovely players.

one of my favorite bugs in the game was holding down screen shot while jumping

if your computer was old enough and the write speed was bad you would just go through the air and you could jump over border keeps this way

also fun things

on the EU version, the game shipped with dev tools so someone spawned legion all over the place from darkness falls

the weird pet elemental class albs had got a realm ability that was like a siege bolt for doors, and could be done beyond sight range. We had someone knock most of the doors down to a relic keep without triggering any guard response since they were so far away.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

No caps on AE targeting, debuffing their own damage type, and the long cooldowns that could be resisted were definitely a thing in Shrouded Isles. Realm ranks gave the purge skill and iirc everyone got one pretty early. It didn't matter though since hibs and mids spam AE stun/mez over and over and purge reset your worn-off resistance bonus so you'd just be mezzed right after using.

The skill to break down doors was from Thaumaturgist, but I never heard of that bug. The skill was on like a five minute timer and did the equivalent of one or two battering ram hits.

As a wizard I took advantage of the AE targeting a lot. Imagine a mile gate with 50+ people holed up in the room above the gate, all I had to do was find line of sight through a window, target one person and just light up the inside like a tinder box :mrgw:

I recall hibernia's enchanter and eldrich classes as having debuffs that matched their damage types. I think albion's wizard got an earth debuff, but earth was not a good spec as it only had a ground target AE and lackluster everything else.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

The skill to break down doors was from Thaumaturgist, but I never heard of that bug. The skill was on like a five minute timer and did the equivalent of one or two battering ram hits.

I remember playing a Theurgist until they added those class specific abilities and they got that one, some classes had abilities that could singlehandedly decide a fight or wipe out or protect huge groups.

The Theurgist got a ability that did minor damage to a door every 5 minutes because they were the *siege mage* where the best possible scenario for using it was sitting outside a door for afew hours with some other theurgist and cheesing a keep.

No idea what they were thinking with that.

Pet classes like the Theurgist made PvE and PvDoor into easy mode because they had a dumb system where every player that was hitting a tough thing would increase the damage and chance to hit for everyone else and pets counted towards that, and each theurgist and animist could have 30+ pets at once so they were worth 30+ people on a big boss or door.

I also remember dodge chance being able to get pretty crazy, I remember geared infiltrators in darkness falls dodging dozens of hits in a row from Legion and if anything got through a pulsing hit negating bubble from a theurgist would block it, course if one hit did get through he'd be a pancake.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 15, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember playing a Theurgist until they added those class specific abilities and they got that one, some classes had abilities that could singlehandedly decide a fight or wipe out or protect huge groups.

The Theurgist got a ability that did minor damage to a door every 5 minutes because they were the *siege mage* where the best possible scenario for using it was sitting outside a door for afew hours with some other theurgist and cheesing a keep.

No idea what they were thinking with that.

Pet classes like the Theurgist made PvE and PvDoor into easy mode because they had a dumb system where every player that was hitting a tough thing would increase the damage and chance to hit for everyone else and pets counted towards that, and each theurgist and animist could have 30+ pets at once so they were worth 30+ people on a big boss or door.

I also remember dodge chance being able to get pretty crazy, I remember geared infiltrators in darkness falls dodging dozens of hits in a row from Legion and if anything got through a pulsing hit negating bubble from a theurgist would block it, course if one hit did get through he'd be a pancake.

more like dual wielded bubble proccing daggers, I was first on my server to get 2 and it was pure bullshit 1v1 against anything. poo poo dps but good luck hitting me when I stun you for 8s every evade and just run away to restealth

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 15, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

LOL this post feels like you played a month at launch.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you are aging and can't recall time well anymore kazvall

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All my favorite shitposters post here

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Stungard was a problem for a long time. Crowd Control spells had no immunity timer or resist so you could just be chain stunned/mezzed all day long. This was for quite a while after launch.

My roomate played a nightshade and would just walk around the other realms newbie frontier zones 1 shooting whole groups from stealth.

The game was fun, but also as a few people have mentioned, there weren't any other real pvp options other than UO which is not newbie friendly.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It still feels like there aren't any decent PvP options. But, I'm one of those people that loved Mordred, cause I'm not a huge carebear bitch...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WoW killed any good pvp aspect for games coming out after it, imo.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

TBH i kind of wonder how much my enjoyment of Mordred was related to being a lovely teenager with no job at the time.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

madpanda posted:

TBH i kind of wonder how much my enjoyment of Mordred was related to being a lovely teenager with no job at the time.

There was literally nothing more exciting that ruining a 100+ man raid with a pbae class. Or 100 players around level 10 trying to kill one level 50 in PKB.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Most mmos were better when we were 13 and could just be shitlords all summer

You get off a lovely day at work now and you don't want to play a terrible game that requires you to invest a lot of time for little payoff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I enjoyed daoc but they had a good game despite the developers. It had lots of problems and when wow came out, wow really was a vast improvement in game play.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png
it peaked one year after launch and hovered around that for awhile until about 2005

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

that is when wow came out

2003 was trials of atlantis and that is that huge dip.

They had a lot of issues with class design, despite it being neat, some classes were just worthless, some were overpowered, and there were also map design issues. These things carried over into WAR and were still issues then.

If the game was fun, it was by accident with the lead developers making constant decisions that ruined that enjoyment.

Camelot Unchained has a few warning signs like how they wanted to give you the ability to design your own spells and combat skills. They did that once in daoc on the warlock and that was never really balanced. Mark Jacobs isn't a good developer.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I never played WAR, but I like on that chart the WAR graph is just a straight line up, then 1 month later a straight line down.

All I heard about it was that bright wizards ruined everything, was that something that never got patched until after the game died?

Also who remembers Champions getting sick of being ignored patch after patch and then they mass emailed whoever that lady was that was in charge of posting stuff on the website and the very next patch champions got a load of buffs and fixes with a note saying to please never do that again?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 16, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It had similar issues to daoc.

Really neat classes, some were very overpowered, not all the classes or cities were out at the start.

They added arenas at every level, made rvr lakes that were split into level brackets. Didn't like being outnumbered in RvR? Go into an arena and make the problem of RvR worse. hosed up the map design and the physical map on these. Split the area into 3 fronts despite there being only 2 teams. So no third team to help balance out the imbalanced numbers.

And when you finally got to the last bracket, you ran into border forts that required you to do pve or later a lot of pvp to get a better tier of armor that had a ward against the instant damage the forts would do to everyone. Otherwise you would just die.

The PvE was also broken constantly.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I enjoyed daoc but they had a good game despite the developers. It had lots of problems and when wow came out, wow really was a vast improvement in game play.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png
it peaked one year after launch and hovered around that for awhile until about 2005

Interesting how UO, EQ, SWG, and DAoC all began their decline within about six months of each other.

edit: oh yeah, it was WoW. Duh.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I never played WAR, but I like on that chart the WAR graph is just a straight line up, then 1 month later a straight line down.

All I heard about it was that bright wizards ruined everything, was that something that never got patched until after the game died?

Also who remembers Champions getting sick of being ignored patch after patch and then they mass emailed whoever that lady was that was in charge of posting stuff on the website and the very next patch champions got a load of buffs and fixes with a note saying to please never do that again?

The problem is WAR was fundamentally mishandled, and very very poor progression at its launch state. It's kind of lovely, because the art direction was great, and the game that was developed before it shut down was actually quite good.

Even though Chaos usually CRUSHED order, some classes were EXTREMELY good, such as Bright Wizard and Knights of the Blazing Sun, and some were TERRIBLE, such as Witch Hunter.

They never did fix the balance.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really need to stress the ward on armor more for WAR.

There were like 5 wards you could get. Each was a different tier and would work for that tier and everything below it.

Lesser, Greater, Superior, Excelsior, and Supreme.

There were still different tiers of armor, just for an example, the Tier 4 dungeon / rvr armor gave you the lesser ward which did the following "A Lesser Ward effect will reduce damage in High Level City Dungeon and Fortress encounters by 40% (down from 300%) and can stack up to 5 times. It also increases your own damage upwards by 15% (up from 40%) in those encounters and can stack up to 5 times."

The tiers broke down into wards for high level city dungeons and fortresses, lost vale and city invasion PQs, City boss encounters, king fights, and then who knows since the content was cut. Some of these armors could be gained from PvE fights but the dungeons were not all in at launch.

This was never announced before game launch, and was removed down the line and replaced with the sigil system, which was the same thing as the ward system just without the armor.

That is Mark Jacobs. He will make grandiose statements about how great the game will be or can be and gently caress it all up. He will get a few things right, but then try to fix things by breaking them more. And history has shown he hasn't learned any lessons from his bad game design choices.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The majority of the signs point to it being a disaster, but nostalgia has me hopeful there will be something there when it finishes.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kimsemus posted:

The problem is WAR was fundamentally mishandled, and very very poor progression at its launch state. It's kind of lovely, because the art direction was great, and the game that was developed before it shut down was actually quite good.

Even though Chaos usually CRUSHED order, some classes were EXTREMELY good, such as Bright Wizard and Knights of the Blazing Sun, and some were TERRIBLE, such as Witch Hunter.

They never did fix the balance.

Witch Hunter tore my heart out. Such a cool class design... completely worthless in PvP. I loved them so much I wanted to make a sword/pistol thief in gw2, but alas that combo sucked there too :(

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

*leaps from the shadows and accuses u of heresy*

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Typical Pubbie posted:

Interesting how UO, EQ, SWG, and DAoC all began their decline within about six months of each other.

edit: oh yeah, it was WoW. Duh.

World of Warcraft changed everything.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

Warrior priests that were played well simply didn't die unless they fell victim to AoE circles of death or focused from a considerable amount of players. A warrior priest - disciple of khaine duel could actually last 10+ minutes if left alone. My main was a KOTBS after they finally released. I basically ran around and was ignored in the biggest exchanges because why bother killing the tank first in the field? He was going to pretend like taunt did something and auto attack.

As for CU, my chub is increasing slowly, but the alpha experience is still not worth the $60 or so bones I've dropped. Can't complain about an alpha at the end of the day though. Them's is the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

WAR was definitely the best mmo that I put down relatively quickly. It had good bones but it needed a lot of work when it came out.

• Locked thread