Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
daoc was my favorite game of all time. I really hope the Luchorpán are just lurikeens

I will be starting the game with a pre-splintered guild to save time and so I cant be kicked from my own guild. The main focus will be economic manipulation and amassing wealth. Join me to compete directly with chinese farmers and make money IRL. No combat classes allowed

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does this game have conditional special movie queues like in DAoC?

Like you have an attack that can only activate off a block and anytime attack

Block is bound to 1 and anytime is 2

You press 1 then 2 in-between GCDs

If you block, you get the block only move. If not, the anytime triggers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
conditionals were great since the servers didnt always run smoothly in pitched RvR. That and /stick with /face made playing laggy possible.

Ability queues were great for laggy casters too so you wouldnt miss any casts.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanley Pain posted:

Will there be boats and fishing in this game?

get out, we dont need that in this game

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

this is some rose tinted glasses

it was good for its day since it didn't really have competition

it was horrible mechanically

Guilds could do what, own a keep, upgrade it, lose it at night unless they guarded it for a few days. Unless we are talking old frontiers.

There were a few classes that could debuff their own damage type and those were supreme.

No caps on how many targets aoes could hit was a big problem for a long time.

Rogues and archers being able to one shot something from stealth and stay in stealth.

Thanes literally having a lag hammer. Rune priests were the same for awhile.

30 minute cool downs on abilities that lasted 1-5 minutes or were instant and could be resisted.

The best move most melee had was a taunt or detaunt since it was low stamina usage.

They had to add in AAs to prevent melee trains from just hitting casters and even then they just gave an pbaoe root out but also gave the ability to purge that poo poo.

this was not at all my experience. maybe you played on a lovely server with lovely players.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember playing a Theurgist until they added those class specific abilities and they got that one, some classes had abilities that could singlehandedly decide a fight or wipe out or protect huge groups.

The Theurgist got a ability that did minor damage to a door every 5 minutes because they were the *siege mage* where the best possible scenario for using it was sitting outside a door for afew hours with some other theurgist and cheesing a keep.

No idea what they were thinking with that.

Pet classes like the Theurgist made PvE and PvDoor into easy mode because they had a dumb system where every player that was hitting a tough thing would increase the damage and chance to hit for everyone else and pets counted towards that, and each theurgist and animist could have 30+ pets at once so they were worth 30+ people on a big boss or door.

I also remember dodge chance being able to get pretty crazy, I remember geared infiltrators in darkness falls dodging dozens of hits in a row from Legion and if anything got through a pulsing hit negating bubble from a theurgist would block it, course if one hit did get through he'd be a pancake.

more like dual wielded bubble proccing daggers, I was first on my server to get 2 and it was pure bullshit 1v1 against anything. poo poo dps but good luck hitting me when I stun you for 8s every evade and just run away to restealth

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 15, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im def going to be the gay elves

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Zero posted:

i will be the gay elf

it takes two *unzips

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I say make many guilds with varied goals and rules and have them under a blanket goon alliance. Every individual guild is responsible for moderating themselves. If something comes up and it isnt fixed then you kick the whole guild from the alliance. The members can choose to apply to a different goon guild and be accepted or not.

Make the account with the alliance head owned by someone who doesnt even play the game and he shares the login info with nobody. All he does is login and kick/invite guilds once a week or so.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 25, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
terrible sex and you feel like you need to shower after.

They had some good free food in their fridge at least!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone remember team wizzy? The guy on merlin that multi-boxed a full team of wizards led by a minstrel for runspeed and CC? That was cool.

I remember him rescuing us often and breaking quite a few sieges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O68N6PIqfQ
DAOC looks terrible, im glad modern computers can run games with effects turned on

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanes were pretty lovely until high realm ranks and then they were only a little less lovely. They were ok babysitters for healers against stealthers.

Their pvp ability was pretty excellent, but it wasnt worth being a thane for.

Targeted aoe stun that triggers every 5s with a 3s stun over a period of time up to 35s. It was amazing when defending a chokepoint.

Too bad no one actually got a thane high enough RR to get it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Team Wizzie was from Igraine
The real team wizzy was.
we had 3 on merlin, there were like 12 "team wizzie's" as far as i know

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had forgotten about carrying ammo. I liked how they had different damage types so you could select the right arrows for the target ahead of time and do extra dmg.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

DAoC wasn't just great, it was the greatest.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look forward to this game coming out so I can play with you all again. I'll be Hibernian or whatever it is in this game so maybe I'll be seeing you all in pvp.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anal Papist posted:

We clearly need to be the side with the hottest 10 year olds, if we are going to recapture the magic of Archeage's peado drama. I nomninate KaneTW as paedo guild leader and the Irish clearly have the race most resembling a hot six year old.

gross dude, they only look like children. The luchorpan are really mature adults

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skalds were kinda garbage in RvR after lvl30, their only contribution being runspeed. Minstrels could 1v1 much better and CC better. Bards could also AoE CC insanely well and buff everyone. All skalds got was okay melee ability instead of massive aoe CC

I just want to play bonedancer with a buffbot again. As long as a class can approximate that experience ill be happy.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skald was fine, but the other 2 runspeed classes contributed far far more to the group.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people like a thing so they must be shills. Is that what he is trying to say?

I think we all understand it wont be amazing, but still better than what exists

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xae posted:

You have to keep up your detected sense of hipster irony. You see, if you only enjoy things ironically you can never be wrong. Because if it was good you enjoyed it, if it was bad your enjoyment was ironic.

If you ever unironically enjoy something or look forward to something you are literally Hitler.

what?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
surely there will be a purge skill and against a character with no stuns and only a root you would purge it instantly and then not worry about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Hopefully they'll make it to where:

Stealth class opens up on healer/squishy DPS, and a smart tank/heavy melee DPS can then shift and peel the rogue off their vulnerable friend. Or a bad heavy melee will let their friend die. This is always more fun since it accommodates most playstyles well.

how long was the stun for daoc shield slam? my terrible memory says like 7s. Anything like that would gently caress any stealther up

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see I wanted to say 9s but I was thinking that there was no way a game would let you remove someone's ability to play for that long. Old mmos were bonkers

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite tactic was solo sieging with an earth theurgist. Just casting rock pets at door for 30 min ahead of the zerg so you can take 15 castles in a night.

That or paladin twisting.
Clearly an exploit but they must not have cared since the class wasnt that strong even with having all the chants up at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freakazoid_ posted:

You mean you actually got to melee in rvr? I'm jealous. I spent most of my time waiting for ranged classes to whittle a siege down enough to rush what few were left.

I liked that you could guard and intercept for the ranged so you didnt have to do literally nothing.

• Locked thread