Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

The skill to break down doors was from Thaumaturgist, but I never heard of that bug. The skill was on like a five minute timer and did the equivalent of one or two battering ram hits.

I remember playing a Theurgist until they added those class specific abilities and they got that one, some classes had abilities that could singlehandedly decide a fight or wipe out or protect huge groups.

The Theurgist got a ability that did minor damage to a door every 5 minutes because they were the *siege mage* where the best possible scenario for using it was sitting outside a door for afew hours with some other theurgist and cheesing a keep.

No idea what they were thinking with that.

Pet classes like the Theurgist made PvE and PvDoor into easy mode because they had a dumb system where every player that was hitting a tough thing would increase the damage and chance to hit for everyone else and pets counted towards that, and each theurgist and animist could have 30+ pets at once so they were worth 30+ people on a big boss or door.

I also remember dodge chance being able to get pretty crazy, I remember geared infiltrators in darkness falls dodging dozens of hits in a row from Legion and if anything got through a pulsing hit negating bubble from a theurgist would block it, course if one hit did get through he'd be a pancake.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I never played WAR, but I like on that chart the WAR graph is just a straight line up, then 1 month later a straight line down.

All I heard about it was that bright wizards ruined everything, was that something that never got patched until after the game died?

Also who remembers Champions getting sick of being ignored patch after patch and then they mass emailed whoever that lady was that was in charge of posting stuff on the website and the very next patch champions got a load of buffs and fixes with a note saying to please never do that again?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 16, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The majority of the signs point to it being a disaster, but nostalgia has me hopeful there will be something there when it finishes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's pretty, but that water texture reminds me of trials of atlantis because of the repeated square pattern.

Afew things I remember from DAoC that are a relic of old game design.

Disease effects that stopped your health regen and made heals half as effective, they could last 10-30 minutes depending on what was diseasing you, I also remember the parthenon farm in hibernia, a popular lowbie leveling spot that would disease people for minutes at a time.

ToA requiring water breathing potions, better hope you didn't run out if you died and got revived underwater.

Buffbots, hated them, hated the idea of people being able to pay 50$+10 per month for a huge advantage, a concept of pay to win a few too many games and people don't mind having these days, when mordred came online a major reason I liked it was that I could hunt down the buffbots because they couldn't hide in a safe zone.

Longass horse rides where you had to jump off at certain points to buy rides in another town because despite there being only one long road in hibernia, the horses would only go to certain towns on that road and you had to jump off at towns that had the ticket you needed, and you better hope you didn't disconnect off your horse during a long lonely stretch of road.

Forgetting to equip your portal medallion on the frontier warp pad.

That giant rat in hibernia that would occasionally wander around and kill lowbies at another leveling spot every few hours randomly, for no other purpose then to sneak up on people.

No itemization beyond a certain level for most of the realms, hibernia being stuck in level 35 gear while midgard or albion had access to level 50 dropped gear.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember that, strength classes could carry around the parts for one or two battering rams in their back pocket, but a wizard would be crumbled in place from a single piece.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The truth is he canceled Imperator Online .

I forgot about that, I think in their heads Mayans fighting Romans in Space was a cool idea and not something that would be laughed out of existence.

Wonder how much time and money went into that project.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The screenshot with water that looks exactly identical to camelot's repeated square water texture makes me think they could of reused something from the old days, but I have no idea really.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder what effect it would have on the population numbers if you showed the % of players on each side at any given moment when someone went to choose, would people try to keep it 33%/33%/33% or would it cause everyone to join one faction if that faction had a larger %, like 50%/25%/25%.

Another problem with population balance is if one side just isn't as developed as the other sides, Hibernia always suffered from low populations because they were plagued by brokenly weak classes/confusing horse routes/long walk to reach PvP/towns that were just copy pasted/harder PvE/dungeons that did their best to murder you whenever possible with strong roaming enemies.

I'm not sure if the blademaster ever became *good* and I swear hibernia dungeons compared to the other two sides were all designed to murder the players as often and brutally as possible with how much stuff roamed around in them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 17, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Xae posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the dungeons were all the same. They just changed the type and level of the mobs.

I know some of the cave dungeons in hibernia were copy/pasted from other sides, but I'm pretty sure the tomb of muire in hibernia was unique to hibernia, the lowest level dungeon and my memories of it involved it being filled with people and you had to wade through graves in every corridor and deal with the patrolling bosses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Budgie posted:

DAoC kind of had that with player housing, but they made auction house npcs anyway. The way they did it was you could buy through the NPC but it would cost like 15% extra gold or you could go to the lot the item was listed on to buy it for the actual price. Going to the lot was a pain in the arse unless you were a speed class though.

It was really, really annoying to go from house lot to house lot checking vendors full of overpriced junk in the hope someone didn't know the actual value of something and underpriced it, a lot of it was just going from house to house and seeing 2g crafted items, and some houses with the same stuff but priced 1 silver lower.

Barely anyone took the time to go to the houses out in the boonies either, mostly checked the vendors on the prime big estates within view of the entrance.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

I remember the player vendor huts in UO. What this actually accomplished that people who lucked out and got the premium spots, like Britain crossroads, made filthy amounts of money and people who got huts in rear end end of the universe had to stand at bank and beg people to visit their lovely shop.

Yeah, in DAoC the closer spots got a sizable markup on their goods because nobody got time to travel 20 minutes to your rinky dink mudhut.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, did this game die in the cradle already? why all this talk.

I'm also amazed that people still pre-order games years before they are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Not that I think the game will go far with the buttwing demon race, but why does everyone think it died suddenly? did I miss something?

• Locked thread