Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a weird, dark place I find myself in that Mark Jacobs may very well make the best MMO in the next few years.

Probably not! But it seems like they're doing it right so far. As to the beta 1 backers getting into alpha tests, you can get that for $60 and they're aiming for this week/end to start getting them in. You shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

jabro posted:

Stealth is a stretch goal.

Not seeing how that's a bad thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jabro posted:

It shouldn't have been a stretch goal at all and just be a part of the game.

By what standards?

Orv
May 4, 2011

jabro posted:

I added more but, huh?

I think we're talking from different angles here. I'm saying there's no reason an MMO has to have stealth, which was my misread of what you said. My answer to what you're really saying is that during the KS they were adamant about stealth being not planned for the scope of the game with what they were asking and what they were expecting to get. Even now without a ton more money only the camo system will be in for launch. I get what you're saying, but they've been pretty upright about the whole thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They let Beta 1 people in today, I got about an hour in, there's glimmers of potential around the edges, but it sure as gently caress is an alpha.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You seem real hung up on Mythic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

and all the LotR movies started coming out.

:what:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Bat posted:

Is this a tab-targeted cooldown game?

No GCD, but there are cooldowns across all abilities using the same base. So when you use a shout based ability, all of those go on cooldown.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

I haven't paid attention to this game for over a year and I heard the beta was delayed. Any idea when it will actually offer something persistent rather than the timed events like the friday night fights they were running?

Entirely from my rear end I'd say probably late Q1. Of course if you want persistence that won't get wiped at end of beta, probably more like early Q4.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are already knockback modifiers which do a frankly terrifying amount of damage, but at this point basically anything besides there being an ability crafting system is all in the air.

Orv
May 4, 2011

malhavok posted:

So i can play this now if i give them 60 bucks?

Limited time testing currently, I'd really recommend you hold off for the time being.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Currently no, but currently is pre-alpha as poo poo. They (here being the lead combat designer) have talked about not being sure if conditionals are right for the game, as they'd prefer to go with a baseline interrupt health system, which for the moment remains their plan. But don't let Kimsemus' totally insane excitement at this stage fool you, the game for all intents and purposes doesn't exist right now, it's just engine testing that sort of looks like what the game might be if you squint and take some hard drugs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I totally agree, and hope that all this engine work they're doing means it won't be necessary, but it's all so totally up in the air and potentially influenced by testing that :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
"You will need more than one hotbar" has been a pretty common refrain from CSE.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Trier posted:

So this looks interesting. Is it interesting?

It looks interesting, especially cause I never got around to playing DAOC, but later heard nothing but good things about it.

Too soon to tell. As what will probably be one of the last big MMO development cycles, there's a few games that could end up real good, but a lot of them are indie and Kickstarter things that'll probably end up mediocre. CU is making a lot of nice noises, but it's too early to say.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is playtime still limited to just the friday night stuff, or are the servers up more frequently than that? I'm in other betas and alphas, but none of them have really clicked with me and this is the game I am most curious about. Is it worth $60 to jump into right now?

No.

Orv
May 4, 2011
gently caress offsites forever and gently caress lists until it's playable and fun for more than an hour at a time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goonionism only ever works in EVE and only then because EVE goons are awful spergs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I really hope items will have durability that can't be completely repaired, to keep the economy flowing

I can't speak to the other stuff but this is currently the intent. Armor and weapon repairs can be done to a certain extent in the field by the combat class, but you'll need a crafting class for full repairs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Herald of Xotli from Age of Conan engendered a lingering affection for melee clothies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Archers revealed this week.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I keep remembering more and more things about how dated that game was.

While it was neat to finally have a ground targeted aoe, the default way to cast them as to hold F5, wait for a cusor to appear, then use WASD to move it to where you thought you wanted it cast.

This was neat since you could cast things right behind walls using it and very few people got the ability.

Then wow came about and said lol just aim your mouse idiots

A game released in 2001, dated? Tell me more.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I AM THE LIST.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sorry Mark Jacobs raped your childhood or whatever your issue is Tenzarin.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Next classes are all really cool thematically at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Boon and bane systems are always lovely because there's almost always a right answer and no good reason to take the neat gimmicks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Scutes.

Projectile ghost vomiting.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Which vids? Do you mean the 50 vids of the dev guy talking?

There's video of the current testing environments out there right now. Though if those are particularly enticing the recent spate of poo poo MMOs must have really done in your standards.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Wish this type of conversation just stayed in the Archeage thread.

Regarding the class reveals, are the crafters one of the 10 class types we get to vote the reveal for, or are they an even separate class. And are they identical accross the 3 realms?
I really hope the crafters have some use on the battlefield, especially regarding manning battlements or siege engines or, i don't know, applying explosives to stuff.

They'll be one of the reveals, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mages.

This is getting to the point where every reveal a different realm has the coolest class and I don't like making decisions in games with alts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A bunch of classes no-one will play!

Orv
May 4, 2011

any guesses on the other classes?

I don't have to guess on two of them, they'll be the two variants of stealth classes. I'd guess D and I for those. No clue on the third, some sort of skirmishing range/melee light maybe, if not the crafters?

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 14, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Camouflage is a separate mechanic from stealth, which runs off their Veilstorm lore thing and is actual, WoW Rogue stealth. Two classes will have that but have distinct roles and systems.

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/stealth-unchained-our-next-stretch-goal-and-so-much-more-pictures/

Pretty good design read.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think if it was a mechanical model fade thing rather than a texture thing it might work alright but it's not something I expect to get a lot of use in the event that it even makes it to launch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

its warhammer all over again

I don't want to defend Mark Jacobs, but they can't really be blamed for that one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stats and Gear:

In-dev, expect it to change.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They have just enough finalized that unless they change pretty much everything else this is going to be a glorious two or three months of OP This Week shitshow.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's Friday, that means new class!

Pet classes, wooooooo:suicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something Awful Forums > Etc > Camelot Unchained - Ghost Yiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Currently, and as always this is subject to change, especially since right now they're totally non-functional, you have to take 5 worth of both banes and boons at minimum when making a character. They come in 1, 3 and 5 point flavors from the pre-alpha stuff that's left in there, and I imagine that at least will stay similar. You won't have to chose specific ones though.

• Locked thread