Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This game is dead, but at least some backers got to play a concept piece. That's more than some kickstarters I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
nvm wrong thread

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 1, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It depends on how many classes there are. WAR had the benefit of keeping roles functionally similar across factions. DAoC was not well managed in that regard. I recall Albion needing like 6-7 people to be completely functional, whereas Midgard needed 5 and Hibernia needed 3-4.

I wasn't aware GW2 had class fatigue in RvR. Does zerging not make up for their deficiencies anymore?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

this was not at all my experience. maybe you played on a lovely server with lovely players.

No caps on AE targeting, debuffing their own damage type, and the long cooldowns that could be resisted were definitely a thing in Shrouded Isles. Realm ranks gave the purge skill and iirc everyone got one pretty early. It didn't matter though since hibs and mids spam AE stun/mez over and over and purge reset your worn-off resistance bonus so you'd just be mezzed right after using.

The skill to break down doors was from Thaumaturgist, but I never heard of that bug. The skill was on like a five minute timer and did the equivalent of one or two battering ram hits.

As a wizard I took advantage of the AE targeting a lot. Imagine a mile gate with 50+ people holed up in the room above the gate, all I had to do was find line of sight through a window, target one person and just light up the inside like a tinder box :mrgw:

I recall hibernia's enchanter and eldrich classes as having debuffs that matched their damage types. I think albion's wizard got an earth debuff, but earth was not a good spec as it only had a ground target AE and lackluster everything else.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Typical Pubbie posted:

Interesting how UO, EQ, SWG, and DAoC all began their decline within about six months of each other.

edit: oh yeah, it was WoW. Duh.

World of Warcraft changed everything.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If it isn't pedos, it's usually the hardcore who can't find enough goons to do end-game content with. Inevitably they become goonfuckers/whiny babies who announce loudly they are leaving for a much cooler and more skilled raiding guild than goons, because what they really wanted was the sweet sweet differently-colored pixels over their misshapen human-like digital body and not just to hang out and have fun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only consistently good thing with goonionism is having a shared stash and everyone throwing away things they don't need into the stash.

It sometimes overflows with garbage but newbies appreciate garbage.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

Their vision for building/crafting seems pretty good: http://youtu.be/NPQh2Bm3NbE

As always, their ability to execute that vision remains to be seen. Though their CUBE system for building design seems to be the first, and most difficult part, and that seems to be going decently.

I was worried this was going to be that horrible voxelmancy poo poo EQL turn into, but a related video showed a much simpler means of construction.

However, did anyone stop to think players would just make their own crafter alt so they can make their own house instead of pay another person to do it? Like come on, you're not fooling anyone into thinking crafters are going to earn a virtual income.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

You don't think players who focus primarily on crafting/gathering in MMOs can pull a profit of in-game spacebux?

Given that there won't be PVE content providing super-powerful gear, I would think focusing on crafting is more viable. It's not that everyone won't have a crafting alt, it's that a subset of players will spend much more time on it than others, resulting in increased production and income from crafting than someone who just has an alt. As the game seems group focused, dedicated crafters will also play a larger role.

There's a difference between crafting and harvesting. Very few MMOs let you make a profit from crafted materials. All of the money is in harvesting.

If this game's crafters are also harvesters, they'll make money just fine. Unless homes are being burned and armor is being torn away at a high rate, crafters will be a thing you switch to when the main force already has enough guys to defend/attack stuff.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Daoc and eq1/wow aren't even similar types of games

You are wrong.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Drop the ground foliage and use a brighter/saturated green, you've got the old hibernia frontiers right there.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

Xposting this from the Albion thread, because I think it is an idea that would fit well into CUs crafting scheme:

I don't have access to the forums, but could someone who does post it (unless the concept has already been brought up)?

I think not having immediately visible stats on purchaseable gear, maybe just display the name/level of the crafter would improve the market. Moving away from the standard market of "pick item I want, scan for best cost/quality" would make the market more engaging amd increase the focus on crafters who spend a lot of time specializing.

It wouldn't work. You're just replacing something every other MMO gives away for free with another slot machine.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Third World Reggin posted:

I am a nerd for good map design and the farther it gets from thidrankii from daoc the worse they tend to be.

:allears:

Caer Caledon wasn't bad, either. Remember when they added free 20's and 30's? They thought that would help realm balance, but all it did was let us play in the battlegrounds whenever we wanted. Great for trying out new classes and other realm's classes.

It just goes to show how much of a love/hate relationship we have with level gating.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have yet to find a point for off-site forums that don't have that metagame element EvE has. Sometimes there's useful information but not something you couldn't eventually find in a wiki somewhere or in the game thread itself.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kimsemus posted:

Depends on how the classes shake out and what people want. I'm VERY partial to Arthurians based on how I think racials are gonna stack up but that's just purely my conjecture.

If it's anything like DAoC, Arthurians will be the "good side", meaning it will come with all its positive and negative stigmas. It will be where goons end up half a year after release when the viking goons get sick of being the punching bag permanent underdogs in rvr.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flavahbeast posted:

skald/minstrel/bard were pretty popular in daoc because the only mounts in the game were taxis so runspeed was a huge deal, also skalds did some decent burst damage iirc

Minstrels could whip out a little cc and also sneak! Surprise ae sleep was hilarious in battlegrounds and I could sometimes pop a stealther before they open up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's gotta be a little awkward for a race of ghosts to be summoning and manipulating other ghosts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Evernoob posted:

A root is very different from a stun. You can fight back, you just can't flee.

It depends on other factors, but if you're killed fast enough, a root might as well be the same thing as a stun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Third World Reggin posted:

My favorite tactic was

/target main assist
/follow
/assist
/stick
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

You mean you actually got to melee in rvr? I'm jealous. I spent most of my time waiting for ranged classes to whittle a siege down enough to rush what few were left.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

quote:

Buying/selling shouldn't be a PITA

quote:

With no Auction House,

does not compute

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
^^ do I have to read the whole thread?

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Awful has to ground floor the IT infrastructure on every vaporware game, allowing him to finally be goon overlord of precisely one. Odds are in his favor if he keeps trying.

I must not read enough mmohmo threads. Tell me more about this Awful person and others like him.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The Mantis posted:

what the gently caress is up with the way people run. this is going to be dumpster fire

Inspired by the NES classic 3d WorldRunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Another problem will be with pretty princess dress-up. They have to model for over a dozen different body types while also keeping some semblance of uniqueness for each faction. That was a lot easier 14 years ago with less polygons to work with and half the races being human anyway, and I recall hardly having anything fashionable besides dyes and the class epic armor, which was not dyeable.

• Locked thread