Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The spiders were really wierd. They changed their body shape and stuff just by changing lifepaths, which is probably why it didn't make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Covok posted:

Sorry about that. I was getting the vibe no one was going to throw interest in. As for 3 players, yes that would be enough. However, at the risk of introducing drama into this thread, I was going to reject one of those recruits. So, we would still need one more.

Once again, sorry about that.

Oh, you're fine! I'm trying to think if anyone I know on the boards might want to play. I still think you should leave it open for a bit though, you've only had it open since Tuesday and people may have been waiting to post on the weekend. I know I was, cause work has been a bit hellish and I wanted to put effort into my post :)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shirec posted:

Oh, you're fine! I'm trying to think if anyone I know on the boards might want to play. I still think you should leave it open for a bit though, you've only had it open since Tuesday and people may have been waiting to post on the weekend. I know I was, cause work has been a bit hellish and I wanted to put effort into my post :)

Well, that's a fair point. I'll reopen it till the time I said I would close it.

If it fails, a lot of the issue with people stemmed from explicitly not wanting to play Elves. Like, a lot of the people I asked said they were not playing because it was Elf only. They gave reasons, but -- and I said this to them -- I think a lot of it has to with the stereotypes surrounding elves, not elves themselves. Especially since we were going to define what it meant to be an elf, what elf society was like, etc. before we made characters. So, to get to my point: If Elf game fails to get recruits by the 7th, I got another idea for an Orc only game where you play a bunch of Orcs tasked with toppling a kingdom. Who does this kingdom belong to? Why does it need to be toppled? What is an Orc? Etc. Would be decided before chargen.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Covok posted:

Well, that's a fair point. I'll reopen it till the time I said I would close it.

If it fails, a lot of the issue with people stemmed from explicitly not wanting to play Elves. Like, a lot of the people I asked said they were not playing because it was Elf only. They gave reasons, but -- and I said this to them -- I think a lot of it has to with the stereotypes surrounding elves, not elves themselves. Especially since we were going to define what it meant to be an elf, what elf society was like, etc. before we made characters. So, to get to my point: If Elf game fails to get recruits by the 7th, I got another idea for an Orc only game where you play a bunch of Orcs tasked with toppling a kingdom. Who does this kingdom belong to? Why does it need to be toppled? What is an Orc? Etc. Would be decided before chargen.

Oooh, that sounds also really exciting. I was mainly wanting to try Burning Wheel since I have all the books and they seem awesome so I'm good with lots of stuff. I'll go post something up! And if not, I def would be interested in your Orc game as well

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shirec posted:

Oooh, that sounds also really exciting. I was mainly wanting to try Burning Wheel since I have all the books and they seem awesome so I'm good with lots of stuff. I'll go post something up! And if not, I def would be interested in your Orc game as well

Glad you're interested. I'm fine either way with whichever game takes off, but only with good players, ya know.

But I forgot to mention this: In the latest update for Burning Wheel Codex Kickstarter, they teased the idea of reprinting Burning Sands, the Dune setting for Burning Wheel.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Well colour me interested.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the advice for Burning Wheel is to only use the "hub and spokes", at least to begin with, what's the equivalent of that for Torchbearer, if any?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the advice for Burning Wheel is to only use the "hub and spokes", at least to begin with, what's the equivalent of that for Torchbearer, if any?

There isn't one, for three reasons. First, Torchbearer is more compartmentalized than Burning Wheel by nature of its dungeon / town structure, and having a whole session for Winter. Second, because Torchbearer is way smaller and easier to digest than Burning Wheel, and doesn't really need an intro mode beyond the starter dungeons. Third, because the additional mechanical heft for Torchbearer that might cause it to need an intro mode is coming in the level 6-10 expansion pack, their equivalent of the Basic D&D Expert Set which has been in the works for a while now; I expect that's the next thing in the queue from BWHQ after they get the Burning Wheel Codex out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

Well colour me interested.

To Elf game or its backup?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

To Elf game or its backup?
Orcs wrecking stuff is very much my cup of tea.

My Torchbearer game just wrapped up this week, will be posting about it somewhere soonish.

Covok
May 27, 2013

As I stated before, I feel Torchbearer is a good basis for a Dark Souls-like campaign because of its mechanically enforced atmosphere and its battle system can be pushed to work for a pattern-based, learn-the-monster kind of action. Do you guys agree and how would you guys work it to be better for that kind of mold? This is more a thought experience thing: replaying Dark Souls so it's on the mind.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

As I stated before, I feel Torchbearer is a good basis for a Dark Souls-like campaign because of its mechanically enforced atmosphere and its battle system can be pushed to work for a pattern-based, learn-the-monster kind of action. Do you guys agree and how would you guys work it to be better for that kind of mold? This is more a thought experience thing: replaying Dark Souls so it's on the mind.

While the combat system in Torchbearer has some similarities to DS, in terms of different actions to counter others, I don't think the game is the best fit. Torchbearer relies on attrition of resources and the grind for tension. DS doesn't really have that attrition factor - generally you die quickly due to a surprise or a mistake (boss battles are a bit different, and Demons Souls had an element of attrition with herbs, but the Estus Flask was one of Dark Souls great innovations). I don't tend to die in Souls games due to lack of Estus.

The TB conditions are not very fitting for DS. Being injured maybe, but exhaustion, hunger, fear, thirst and anger don't really fit the "protagonist" of a Souls game (hunger and thirst particularly don't suit an undead). They do fit the NPCs in some cases though I guess? Humanity levels might work in place of conditions though?

I think the best things about DS are things you can't do easily on the tabletop. The learning and pattern recognition aspect of play is cool in a video game, but a drag at the table. To make it work for combat, you would need to limit or telegraph the combat actions of enemies, if you want to preserve a learning or puzzle element.

The whole resurrection and redoing levels thing is likely to be a frustrating experience on the tabletop. It would kill any story momentum. DS has a great implied narrative, but it's not the game's focus. I think the lack of forward momentum would kill a tabletop game quickly.

A big part of DS is the atmosphere, and I think capturing that in tabletop mechanics is hard as well. That said, I just received my advanced backer copy of Brendan Conway's Cold Ruins of Last Life setting book for Dungeon World. That does a pretty great job of presenting a Dark Souls setting for DW and might provide some inspiration for conversion to TB. I'm not sure when the public release is though.

That said, I think the feeling of loneliness in a dangerous world is big part of my Dark Souls atmosphere, and it doesn't work so well in a game with multiple PCs. Phantoms are not the same as having party members. Maybe if you played with one player, with a powerful PC, and used summoned phantoms as factors in conflicts and checks. Basically treat them as help dice?

I say all of this as someone who has written a few things trying to bring DS concepts in to Dungeon World (basic moves, magic system), and I just don't think Dark Souls best parts convert very well mechanically.

Sorry for being kinda negative, but I hope some of my suggestions might be helpful. I actually think there might be more mileage in doing DS as a board game, rather than an RPG.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 8, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nah, you're right. I was being dumb on this idea. It's honestly something you either make yourself with experimental mechanics or just focus on one aspect that is more attainable with current games. Torchbearer wasn't a good fit after all.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

Nah, you're right. I was being dumb on this idea. It's honestly something you either make yourself with experimental mechanics or just focus on one aspect that is more attainable with current games. Torchbearer wasn't a good fit after all.

I think changes to the combat system (to add a telegraphing element) and a variation of the conditions to make it humanity might add some of right flavour. I also seriously recommend checking out Cold Ruins of Last Life when it is released.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Have you considered Paranoia?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone got advice on building NPCs for Burning Wheel Gold? Both quick and full?

Also, does anyone know good resources (other than wikipedia) for learning about Renaissance era Italy? It's relevant to my Burning Wheel game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

Anyone got advice on building NPCs for Burning Wheel Gold? Both quick and full?

Also, does anyone know good resources (other than wikipedia) for learning about Renaissance era Italy? It's relevant to my Burning Wheel game.

For quick NPCs, I just give them a good rating in all the skills from an appropriate lifepath plus maybe a belief. You probably want to take the appropriate skill rating and add 1 as an assumed FoRK so you're not penalising them for not being fully burned. For full NPCs, I just build them like a PCs using one of the online character generators, choosing a number of life paths according to their seniority/inferiority relative to the players (but never more than +-2).

Covok
May 27, 2013

How important is preplanning in this system? I tried doing so, but ended up giving up out of boredom. Should I give it another go?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

I still think a better fit for a dark souls game would be something tactical with no dice rolls, Gm declares monsters actions then players declare their actions and then everyones reactions are resolved, i had an idea for using cards/counters as a stamina mechanic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I solved this like months ago, guys. Keep up. :v:

Siivola posted:

You could do tells with cards, easy. Have a few cards labeled "starter" which the monster can only use if it's not already in the middle of something else, and then for each starter some number of follow-up moves the GM can choose between. (Or fiddle around and make it a GM-less game.) Give each player a similar but less restricted set of moves they can use to defend against any monster, maybe dependent on their equipment or class or whatever. (Fat rolls!) Play happens on a one-dimensional track to maintain a spatial element, and cards often force players or monsters to move themselves into awkward spots. Initiative is determined with a separate activation deck, where there's a red card for each player and a number of black cards for the monster; Any PC may move when a red card comes up. Add a timer so people don't waffle on combos. Edit: Oh and every player gets a free dodge roll card that can be used any time once per round so they don't get hosed when a monster gets many moves in a row.

There, done. Somebody write this up and make mad bank on Drivethru Cards.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

How important is preplanning in this system? I tried doing so, but ended up giving up out of boredom. Should I give it another go?

Depends - what kind of preplanning are you talking about? Thinking about future plots/situations, statting out prospective NPCs, something else? Personally I spent most of my prep time looking at player BITs, working out ways to prod them, and creating NPCs to help in the prodding (normally without much more than just a few beliefs and a handful of skills). So long as you have a good handle on your PCs and ideas for situations that could create good drama, the core system's robust enough you don't need to do much else in my experience.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

I solved this like months ago, guys. Keep up. :v:
Let me tell you about warhammer fantasy third edition.

My Torchbearer campaign wrapped up the other week. The major negative system feedback was that the combat system needed more moves with distinct effects and remembering to tick the boxes on the pass/fail stuff was a bit fiddly. The major positive feedback was that out of combat stuff was fun and flexible, esp. when we used he conflict system for more abstratc stuff (like shoving a jelly in a hole). One of the players really didn't like the method of gaining fate/persona points but everyone else seemed to get into it.

Tweaks I'd like to see:
Add more moves (as per siivola's post) to make combat feel more mechanically fighty.

Houserules I'd do next time:
Replace the "lose a die" effects with "gain a negative die" effects (roll a differently coloured die, if it succeeds it counts as -1 success).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burning Wheel's full fight rules seem pretty complex. Has anyone ever used them before?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Yup! They're pretty complex and best suited for showpiece battles, but I quite like them. Any particular questions about the mechanics?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Yup! They're pretty complex and best suited for showpiece battles, but I quite like them. Any particular questions about the mechanics?

I don't have any specific question, honestly. I just have an inherent lack of an ability to understand it. Maybe a re-read will help.

Oh, also, with wounds, can you get more than 3 of one type? Or is the most that can happen is you fill the three under the leftmost wound category?

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 23, 2016

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

I don't have any specific question, honestly. I just have an inherent lack of an ability to understand it. Maybe a re-read will help.

Oh, also, with wounds, can you get more than 3 of one type? Or is the most that can happen is you fill the three under the leftmost wound category?

Yeah, it can be a bit of a struggle to wrap your head around. There used to be some good fight reports on the burning wheel forums, though I'm not sure if they'll still be there.

As for wounds I'm pretty sure you can have as many as you have like (until you die), with the sole exception being that when you hit 3 superficial wounds all 3 convert to a light wound.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think someone (Ratpick?) did some example fights for their F&F review.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

I think someone (Ratpick?) did some example fights for their F&F review.

Nah, I just checked the archive and it seems to have ended at chargen.

I've been asking around about mixed stock games. I feel like they could be frustrating, but, if everyone is down for it, very interesting at the same time. What does everyone else think?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

I've been asking around about mixed stock games. I feel like they could be frustrating, but, if everyone is down for it, very interesting at the same time. What does everyone else think?

I've only run all-human games, but from what I've heard humans get a pretty short stick compared to other races. I'd suggest giving the humans a couple more life paths to compensate.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm absolutely positive there was a combat example run as a CYOA type deal. I'll have to dig around I guess.

Edit: It was in the Game Room all along!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 24, 2016

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Covok posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that Burning Wheel cares very little for "balance," and it's rare that you'll generate a "balanced" party in the traditional sense, so disregarding those notions is helpful for playing and running BW. Some of the most well-regarded BW Actual Plays contain parties with mixed stocks or large differences in lifepath counts between players, because they're equally valid ways to play the game.

In regard to this specific question, about half the Burning Wheel games I've done have been mixed-stock, and they've worked out fine. Every stock has its power-picks, of course, and a 4-LP elf ranger is going to be way more effective at rangering than a similarly-built Mannish hunter, but they're not going to dominate the group. Adding more lifepaths to everyone isn't necessary unless everyone's concepts are clustering together, in which case you may have other issues with the game.

The closest I've seen to a problematically-balanced group was an elf ranger and a human summoner - and it was the summoner who was the issue, because he was literally pulling angels out of the air to solve their problems. And by solve their problems I mean fail catastrophically, then have to summon another, bigger angel to try to put the first (and second, and third) angel back in its celestial box while the ranger shook his head and backed away slowly.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I want to run a BW game but I dont' know where to start. Help me, goons! What's the easiest way to learn this system, and what kind of campaigns is it designed for? I have Gold and the codex.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

I want to run a BW game but I dont' know where to start. Help me, goons! What's the easiest way to learn this system, and what kind of campaigns is it designed for? I have Gold and the codex.

How did you get the Codex? I backed it on KS and I still haven't gotten my copy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

some loving LIAR posted:

How did you get the Codex? I backed it on KS and I still haven't gotten my copy.

From what I heard, Gen Con interrupted shipping so some are getting it early while others won't get it till post-Gen Con.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also, what's an acceptable rnage of PCs in burning wheel? is 2 players ok for this game?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

From what I heard, Gen Con interrupted shipping so some are getting it early while others won't get it till post-Gen Con.

I knew there was going to be blowback for snarking about the incomprehensible "answer your backer survey" message.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's actually a Crane wizard-code message saying that you needed to sign some tome or you won't receive anything.

quote:

The book is closed. No signatures shall it further accept. Were you too late to sign, then bereft you shall be for no imp shall be dispatched to your domicile bearing package precious.
For those who didst enumerate and sign, soon the divine cargo wings its way to you. Patience, I pray.
And for those who buck, bridle and bray: Take care lest I abjure thee. No guarantee was proffered in our exchange. You attend this ritual as a privilege, and at my discretion. To break concentration with your pleating threatens the sanctity of us all.
So silence. Or risk banishment.

This seriously read as "Either you did <unclear thing> or get hosed, Kickstarter is not a store." Luke Crane can bite a turd and stuff his unprofessional can't-stop-LARPing stage persona.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

That's actually a Crane wizard-code message saying that you needed to sign some tome or you won't receive anything.

This seriously read as "Either you did <unclear thing> or get hosed, Kickstarter is not a store." Luke Crane can bite a turd and stuff his unprofessional can't-stop-LARPing stage persona.

I was talking about this one:

luke crane's douche-rear end kickstarter posted:

Devotees,

Come forth from your cells. Form a queue—a query mark of human flesh. Prick thy fingers and watch incarnadine fluid pool, drip.

Now, sign.

Enter your sigil on the record celestial. Let the stars point home to you our winged messengers bearing cerulean gold.

Heed the call, friends. Answer with bold strokes. For the hand of doom draws nigh. The judas window shuts, to be locked forever more. The portcullis of fate rumbles down—let it not crush you.

For if you fail to put your name in the book before the close of the sixth month of the sixteenth year, your tenuous silver cord shall be cut, and drift through the aether you shall, unbound, unmoored and without anchor.

Like, what the gently caress was this? It came out several weeks after the pledge-survey email from Kickstarter, and it refers to a nonexistent book. This caused many backers to just reply to the update post with their names, after a lot of panicked speculation because it's pretty clear that if you fail to do the mystery thing, you won't get what you paid for.

As for what Moths posted, if that is indeed a threat by Crane to stiff people who aren't thrilled with their attempts to confuse people out of getting their product, he can wander off northward through forests primal, shrouded in mist, along the downward sloping path to the nether world, where he might make himself the master of himself the mistress, if he imagines I'll be buying any of his products sight unseen ever again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
:catstare: Why would you write "please sign-up for the BackerKit here" in anything less than straight professional English. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Oh, also:

Kickstarter's TOS posted:

Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers. Here are the terms that govern that agreement:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

So, good luck to Luke if he thinks that his supervillain monologuing will let him stiff dissatisfied customers.

• Locked thread