Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's actually pdf versions of Blossoms Are Falling and the Arabian themed setting (I forget the name of the book) floating around and definitely findable, but they're :filez:.

As for Burning Empires, I like its combat rules way, way better than Burning Wheel's. Otherwise it's basically just a Sci-Fi reskin of Burning Wheel with a very strongly built-in setting and some new campaign flow mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

How does it redo the combat rules from Burning Wheel?

Burning Wheel's ranged combat rules (Range and Cover) are awful, and its melee combat rules (Fight!) are great for duels but utterly confusing for everyone involved when you have multiple characters all engaging the same target. Burning Empires's Firefight rules sticks with the grouped setup of Range and Cover, but provide real rules for doing things like taking cover, disrupting the enemy's position, laying down suppressing fire, taking and holding objectives, etc. Firefight doesn't work as a total replacement for Burning Wheel's combat system in a non-modern+ setting because the melee combat rules are shortened to just a single action type, but in an overwhelmingly ranged combat setting they just feel and play vastly better than BW's system.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Parkreiner posted:

Blossoms are Falling, on the other hand, is a much more complete "alternate BW" (unlike BE, you still need the core for combat and other load-bearing systems, but it has its own lifepaths, magic system, and other setting-replacement stuff) and is actually fairly unique for Japan-set RPGs in that it takes place in the peaceful, foppish and ridiculously baroque Heian period. I was won over when I saw the rules for obliquely insulting people during poetry slams.

Yeah, I actually really like Blossoms are Falling. It's got a lot of neat rules and it's nice to have a non-Sengoku Japan setting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

Grim, but kind of par for the course.

So, Burning Wheel would be a good fit for this more political/emotional game which, most likely, wouldn't have a lot of combat? I've never run it/played it before. I am watching Adam Koebel's playthrough of it which is a political game as well, but he's still in chargen.

Yep. BW is pretty well suited to that kind of game. I've been running a BW campaign for over a year now and the players have yet to get into any actual combat (not through lack of trying on my part). In fact, we just got our first wound last session from a failed Summoning check.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

So, I assume the Roden are rat people and I know what a Troll is, but Great Wolves? Are those literally wolves? They are going to be in the Burning Wheel Codex and, considering that isn't being said to be a new admission like Dark Elves, was in one of the old Burners, presumably.

They were in the Monster Burner (along with Roden, Trolls, and Great Spiders which it seems didn't make the cut for the Codex) and yes, they're large intelligent wolves. They have three main routes: pack wolves, Black Legion wolves (think Lord of the Rings wargs), and ghost hunters. At least, that's what they had in the Monster Burner, we'll see how it gets translated to Burning Wheel Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The spiders were really wierd. They changed their body shape and stuff just by changing lifepaths, which is probably why it didn't make the cut.

• Locked thread