Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Chicago cops don’t dump people they don’t like into the lake anymore, they just drive them into rival gang territory and announce their presence to everyone .
This literally happens in a mission in GTA: San Andreas, which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be a parody of rear end in a top hat cops. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Plastics posted:

Well you could try obeying the laws...

It would be nice if the cops could do that and stop covering for officers who break them

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

This literally happens in a mission in GTA: San Andreas, which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be a parody of rear end in a top hat cops. Amazing.

It also happened in Menace II Society, which was being referenced in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Atrocious Joe posted:

I heard from a girl working with prosecutors for the summer that public defenders are fine with the site because they can use the site to meet defendants without alerting gangs in the county jail. I think that’s some self-serving bullshit but it's all just gossip anyway.

The number of arrests and the makeup of those arrests is new and fascinating. The very small number of Latinos passing through Homan Square and the large number of heroin possession charges is weird. Black gang members probably make up most of the dealers but heroin importation into Chicago is done by Mexican gangs. Homan is on the west side right by black neighborhoods, but the story about the guy from the south side makes it seem like suspects are brought there from across the city.

It makes me paranoid there is either another site for Latino suspects or that local police also have deals with members of the Sinaloa cartel like the Feds do.

Chicago cops don’t dump people they don’t like into the lake anymore, they just drive them into rival gang territory and announce their presence to everyone .

Just wanted to say, thanks for this post and the links.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Honestly only some of black population of Chicago lives in something resembling Mad Max, and that only fits well if you classify the police as warboys.

These maps are a bit old but they get the point across.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chicago_violent_crime_map.png

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...ent?oid=3221712

The CPD act like 8th grade bullies who were suddenly handed guns and diplomatic immunity in the white neighborhoods too. I had my Lincoln Park apartment ransacked by them for no particular reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Plastics posted:

Well you could try obeying the laws...
Sir, your skin color and ethnicity is illegal in this area. :cop:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

The CPD act like 8th grade bullies who were suddenly handed guns and diplomatic immunity in the white neighborhoods too. I had my Lincoln Park apartment ransacked by them for no particular reason.

As far as I can tell they're not really in white neighborhoods though. Anecdotal, but I've been in Lakeview and Lincoln Park quite a bit recently and the only time I reliably see police is when I'm by a hospital like Illinois Masonic. When you don't interact with cops it's hard to have a bad experience with them.

Miriame Kaba who runs the Prison Culture site I linked earlier has a good essay about how often black kids interact with police and how often it goes bad. Her thesis is that police should be abolished, which is a bit extreme. However, it raises really good points that police and black communities know each other intimately so something beyond "re-training" or "more footpatrols" is needed.

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015

Poil posted:

Sir, your skin color and ethnicity is illegal in this area. :cop:

No I know that the cops do a lot of things they should not do and I do not question that they should be reformed but the thing is almost everyone who gets into trouble with the police is actually a suspect in a crime or a convicted criminal. The police are really disproportionate when they go after people but they do not usually go after people for no reason whatsoever there is almost always some aggravating factor that is avoided by Law abiding citizens. So if those people obeyed the Law then that would be a way to stay safe.

If that does not sound fair or reasonable then good because that was my point. I do not believe that myself. The police are terrible and evil and they work to enforce unjust laws from the start of their shifts to the end. But unless you support the abolition of the police and of Laws and of the government then you are taking that stance that I outlined there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plastics posted:

No I know that the cops do a lot of things they should not do and I do not question that they should be reformed but the thing is almost everyone who gets into trouble with the police is actually a suspect in a crime or a convicted criminal. The police are really disproportionate when they go after people but they do not usually go after people for no reason whatsoever there is almost always some aggravating factor that is avoided by Law abiding citizens. So if those people obeyed the Law then that would be a way to stay safe.

If that does not sound fair or reasonable then good because that was my point. I do not believe that myself. The police are terrible and evil and they work to enforce unjust laws from the start of their shifts to the end. But unless you support the abolition of the police and of Laws and of the government then you are taking that stance that I outlined there.

What are you talking about, Cops can and do go after people who aren't suspects in a crime literally all the time. Christ, you'd have to be deliberately ignoring pretty much everything in the news lately to believe the crap you're spewing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Plastics posted:

I'm not sure what the hell you're trying to say here really but my position is that cops and our criminal justice system more generally should stop punishing very minor crimes in such a harsh and draconian manner. Not wanting people arrested for jaywalking and carrying "spring-assist knives" doesn't mean I want to abolish all laws and government.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Police/status/629812153952833537/photo/1

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm not sure which one I like better, #5 or #11. Or maybe #1 or #2.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

#15 Pick up the can.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Where's the disclaimer about being sent to torture hell without trial if you appear to violate any of these?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Tips to be safe in your neighborhood: do not resist arrest.

Thanks officer, I feel prepared for safety with these tips. Thank you for warning me about the dangers of cops!

Seriously that reads like one of those horrible "avoid rape by not dressing like a whore" pamphlets. Also

quote:

#Tips to #StaySafe in Any #Neighborhood
CPD doesn't know how to hashtag.

snorch fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 11, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
On the plus side, a lot of those points are also good advice for dealing with wild bears

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

snorch posted:

CPD doesn't know how to hashtag.

Don't need twitter when you have a stingray.
http://gapersblock.com/mechanics/2015/01/12/evidence-suggests-cpd-illegally-uses-stingray-technology-on-protestors/

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Gum posted:

On the plus side, a lot of those points are also good advice for dealing with wild bears

Some more helpful advice that can apply to either group:

-Make noise to avoid startling the police (talk loudly, or carry a bell).
-Never approach a cop (duh!)
-Travel in groups, (never walk alone!)
-Keep your dog on a leash (they can provoke the police)

edit - whatever you do, do not try to feed the cops, it will familiarize them with human contact and could make them more aggressive

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Gum posted:

Yeah, I wish the bears I pick up from the street would dress like cops, too

Wait what are we talking about again

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015

Hahaha oh wow do they really think people are going to agree with this? Everyone already either knows the police are tools of the Government or they are comfortable using those tools to put themselves in a better position.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Plastics posted:

Hahaha oh wow do they really think people are going to agree with this? Everyone already either knows the police are tools of the Government or they are comfortable using those tools to put themselves in a better position.

I can't find the words to express how that makes me feel. I've looked at it a few times since it was posted and I would like to write something somewhat intelligent and eloquent about how hosed up it is, but I just bang my head on the wall instead.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Remember, don't have "too many people" in your car.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That list seems pretty reasonable to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

-Troika- posted:

A lot of it is the subtext when combined with the exposure of the CPD having a torture hell that makes it very very skeevy.

You had 4 people in the car with you! Ah, don't yell! Time to go to the illegal holding facility for an indeterminate amount of time!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

-Troika- posted:

The joke is cops don't even follow these rules.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

-Troika- posted:

Of course it does, you are an authoritarian.
I do a lot of that poo poo because I don't want to get shot.

That is pretty stupid, if you really think about it. Thank god I'm not black.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 13, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hahaha "not every police officer is out to get you. Some totally are though; try not to look so weak, or so strong OK? You're only encouraging them."

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

15. Accept that your own police forces are more likely to kill you (by a factor of around 7x) than any foreign terrorist, and that no expense proportional to this threat will ever be spent addressing it.
16. Just carry a loving gun and accept you'll die in a shootout someday with the hostile occupying forces that call themselves "police."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I like how #6 and #7 aren't getting much attention because everyone knows that this is how you deal with cops, even though they're probably the two most hosed up things on this list. It's like the police are literally wild animals who might shoot you if you do anything they construe as even remotely threatening.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure that if I ask everyone I let into the car if they have any illegal drugs I'll end up getting arrested once word gets around.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

-Troika- posted:

Many of the rules are on their face quite reasonable, yeah (with a couple exceptions, like "don't have too many people in your car," what the gently caress? Are they saying it's not my God-given American right to drive thirteen clowns to work in my minicooper?). The problem is that police officers don't tend to approach interactions with the public in the same fashion. If everyone went into it trying to keep from being confrontational this would be understandable, but as it is, the subtext is "be respectful and maybe we won't shoot you." It's trying to solve the problem of police and public treating each other like a hostile force, without themselves trying to be less of a hostile force.

Then again, I don't tend to believe that all cops should be slaughtered in the streets like pigs, so maybe someone with the correct opinion could provide a more complete analysis.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Quorum posted:

Many of the rules are on their face quite reasonable, yeah (with a couple exceptions, like "don't have too many people in your car," what the gently caress? Are they saying it's not my God-given American right to drive thirteen clowns to work in my minicooper?). The problem is that police officers don't tend to approach interactions with the public in the same fashion. If everyone went into it trying to keep from being confrontational this would be understandable, but as it is, the subtext is "be respectful and maybe we won't shoot you." It's trying to solve the problem of police and public treating each other like a hostile force, without themselves trying to be less of a hostile force.

Then again, I don't tend to believe that all cops should be slaughtered in the streets like pigs, so maybe someone with the correct opinion could provide a more complete analysis.

The difference is that the cops have authority, weapons, and ability to oppress the public while protecting their own rear end. They are supposed to be servants of the public, both individuals and on the whole. Trying to describe the situation as if its two equal groups in conflict on even footing is misleading.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 15, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Berk Berkly posted:

The difference is that the cops have authority, weapons, and ability to oppress the public while protecting their own rear end. They are supposed to be servants of the public, both individuals and on the whole. Trying to describe the situation as if its two equal groups in conflict on even footing is misleading.

I agree, and I didn't mean to imply they're on an equal footing here. The impression within the police community is that they are besieged by a hostile public, however, and the public view (among people who actually have interactions with police on a regular basis) is that they are oppressed by hostile police. Any policy-based way of dealing with the problem is at least going to have to acknowledge both of these, if only in explicit denunciation.

To put what I said in the above post in another light, the Chicago police are trying to solve what they see as the problem, but are not acknowledging that they themselves might be even part of the problem. This is at best horrifically tone-deaf, and once you start getting into things like torture sites, we're no longer talking best-case scenarios.

eta: I mean, how cartoon-villain (or completely insulated from actual reality) do you have to be to imagine that the correct response response to "please stop acting like an occupying force" is "yeah well stop resisting?"

Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 15, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You hit the issue right on the head, though. The police don't believe they're a problem. The siege mentality is extremely ingrained into the overall police psyche but they believe that they're the good guys. They believe that they're acting on "peace through strength" or whatever rather than brutal oppression. The other snag is that, in some cases, the corruption and oppression has been there so long it's normal to them. Oh hey we ripped a black guy out of his car, shot him twelve times, then failed to find evidence of wrongdoing? Meh, whatever who cares...we're discouraging actual criminals by doing that so it's worth it.

The reason people are hostile toward the police is that they routinely abuse their power. More and more stories of police brutality have been coming out. Every time video evidence comes out that not only did the police literally murder somebody but lied about it to cover their own asses it not only erodes trust in the police something fierce but makes people hate police. Suddenly the community becomes hostile and the police seem less like community-minded people just keeping order in the community and more like a threat.

When any police officer that feels like it suddenly has the right to gun somebody down for no reason whatsoever then one has no choice but to be suspicious of all police. If I encounter a police officer I don't know I have no idea if he's a good cop or a bad cop. I don't know if he's just looking for an excuse to start shooting because he wants blood today. But I do know that if he shot me twelve times and I died his cop buddies would help him get away with it.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 15, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The clear answer for folks in the neighborhoods engaged in borderline activities which would attract suspicion is to join the honorable folk working at CPD and try seeing things from the perspective of a CPD officer for a year.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

My Imaginary GF posted:

The clear answer for folks in the neighborhoods engaged in borderline activities which would attract suspicion is to join the honorable folk working at CPD and try seeing things from the perspective of a CPD officer for a year.

It's unfortunately not entirely unheard of.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
How is it even legal to imprison a suspect for hours without booking them?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It isn't.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Can you even say there is a such thing as a good cop most cops are guilty of remaining silent when crimes are committed by fellow cops or helping covering up crimes for them. Im deeply skeptical of a so calles good cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Greataval posted:

Can you even say there is a such thing as a good cop most cops are guilty of remaining silent when crimes are committed by fellow cops or helping covering up crimes for them. Im deeply skeptical of a so calles good cop.

Those are "good cops". Jon Burge and Adrian Schoolcraft and bad cops alike. That's the problem.

• Locked thread