Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Good luck to you, Grat. And thanks for playing this stupid, stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Am I getting this right that you just decided to go into the optional dungeon just because?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
No the ice tower was a story dungeon, Hbomb is just bad at reading walkthroughs

and responding to twitter DMs in which i ask him when he'll have time to stream and/or help me out with the audio for the next batch of episodes

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Eternal Sonata livestream extravaganza with me and Hbomb will be starting at 8PM GMT tonight (80 minutes from now) at https://twitch.tv/igrat

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Make sure you turn on the setting to archive streams on Twitch before you go live!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

Eternal Sonata livestream extravaganza with me and Hbomb will be starting at 8PM GMT tonight (80 minutes from now) at https://twitch.tv/igrat

Awesome, a stream I can watch live!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CHECK IT OUT

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Really sorry about the intermittent echo that people were reporting - I don't know what caused it, since it didn't happen last time and people were saying it was randomly starting and stopping?? Inconsistent problems are the absolute worst to try and fix. If we do more streams (probably not more Eternal Sonata streams, but of another game maybe) I'll definitely actually test it out and get that fixed beforehand.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed watching the stream, the echoing wasn't really bad except for at one short point.

To those who missed the stream, I'm sure you'll enjoy the video once it's uploaded. The quest's logic is something to behold.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I graduated today, so here's a YouTube upload of the latest stream without the weird echo on my voice while I put together the next actual update: Link

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My mom is a family doctor so I've heard about cancer a lot so I'm glad you got the best kind of cancer.

And drat right I'm sticking around until the end. This whole thing started with a 10 year old leaping to her doom off of Suicide Mountain and, dream or not, I need to see the narrative reasoning behind that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In New Game+ the left teleporter is active, and you can use it to travel back to various areas in the game.

Also I think I remember that the added PS3 dungeon where you get access to playable Crescendo and Serenade is before this, so I guess the person who told us about the PS3 changes gave up. Can't really blame him, I suppose.

Oh and this dungeon sucks and you have to travel through it every time you want to go back from endgame areas to the rest of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 29, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
to be fair i would've given up on me too

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
This game makes me sad in lots of ways, I actually almost like this game conceptually. And I can get behind JRPG nonsense when it's well executed, but it's such a slog to get through. I finished FFXIII but I couldn't get through this even though oh paper this sounds like the kind of silly idea I would enjoy.

So thanks for LPing this Grat and Hbomb just to state my slight curiousity for this strange game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MyNameIsAlex posted:

This game makes me sad in lots of ways, I actually almost like this game conceptually. And I can get behind JRPG nonsense when it's well executed, but it's such a slog to get through. I finished FFXIII but I couldn't get through this even though oh paper this sounds like the kind of silly idea I would enjoy.

So thanks for LPing this Grat and Hbomb just to state my slight curiousity for this strange game.

For a while I only really knew the broad outline of the game so for a while I figured it had at least some aspirations to be a bit more than a typical JRPG. But no, all we get are slideshows and everything else doesn't really matter to that hook at all.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

And all the musical theme naming is fine, but the 'dying dream' concept could have been used for some far more surreal stuff imho.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:psyduck: So all that was just filler? Or are you really supposed to remember all that seemingly useless information for later in the game?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

oldskool posted:

:psyduck: So all that was just filler? Or are you really supposed to remember all that seemingly useless information for later in the game?

Filler. Far as I remember, none of it has anything to do with anything. not even the old lady and her magic fortune cookie tree

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This has moved far, far beyond the simple "capitalism is bad!" metaphor I expected from the beginning of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I don't remember this scene at all.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I just finished watching all of these videos over the last few days, so I just thought I'd pop into the thread to let you guys know that I'm really enjoying your work.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Roach Warehouse posted:

I just finished watching all of these videos over the last few days, so I just thought I'd pop into the thread to let you guys know that I'm really enjoying your work.

This one goes out to forums user Roach Warehouse

Today: Things actually happen, for real

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I think these events are a bit more coherent in the PS3 version, Waltz survives the fight but the old dude still Dragons out.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

"Count Waltz I surrender"
"We need more than that, and our conditions are..."
"But I'm here personally also I demand several things now that I've unconditionally surrendered"
:doh: Dumbass.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I sure didn't expect Waltz to punk out at this stage, and the old guy I thought was just a bureaucrat to apparently be the last boss.

How does this thematically link into Freddy Chopchop's anti-capitalist dream?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think all of the writing effort went into the Chopin History Slideshow because I don't think any went into the villains.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Roach Warehouse posted:

I sure didn't expect Waltz to punk out at this stage, and the old guy I thought was just a bureaucrat to apparently be the last boss.

How does this thematically link into Freddy Chopchop's anti-capitalist dream?

Legato is analogous to 19th century European Steve Bannon and Waltz was his Donald Trump. The game is predicting Trump's eventual death at the hands of child soldiers trained and radicalized by dirty hippies who live in the sewer and smoke copious amounts of "floral powder"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

This game has some really bizarre pacing decisions. I wonder if that was intentional or if it happened due them having to meet a release date or something.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
This game has some really bizarre decisions, period :psyduck: I came into this LP really wanting to give Eternal Sonata the benefit of the doubt but with every video I'm just more and more baffled. Why are these optional boss fights so obscure that nobody would ever know about them, much less find them, without a walkthrough? Why are these characters who barely talk to each other apparently madly in love now? Why is everyone stuck in a halfassed T-pose all the time? Why is the butler, who's had like two lines of dialogue before now, the final boss? Why did anybody think any of this was a good idea?

Soul Cremator is a super cool name for a sword though.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Instant Grat posted:

This one goes out to forums user Roach Warehouse

Today: Things actually happen, for real

Hbomb, around the 9-minute mark you expressed a desire to see a game that did for videogames what this did for music. From what I hear, Hyperdimension Neptunia might fit, but it is aggressively, egregiously anime. Fair warning.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Waltz staying down after his boss fight. You didn't even have to suffer through a half-hour dying monologue about the divine right of the bourgeoisie.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

So where can I subscribe to your Tinder as promised? The pacing for the game as slow and it does have a terminal case of the Anime but with the Party Level increases changing up gameplay enough to keep it engaging, at least from what I remember when I played it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

This game has some really bizarre decisions, period :psyduck: I came into this LP really wanting to give Eternal Sonata the benefit of the doubt but with every video I'm just more and more baffled. Why are these optional boss fights so obscure that nobody would ever know about them, much less find them, without a walkthrough? Why are these characters who barely talk to each other apparently madly in love now? Why is everyone stuck in a halfassed T-pose all the time? Why is the butler, who's had like two lines of dialogue before now, the final boss? Why did anybody think any of this was a good idea?

Soul Cremator is a super cool name for a sword though.

Obscure triggers for hidden bosses/areas is just JRPG's in general. After the intro I was expecting a lot more preaching and I'm honestly disappointed we're not getting it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wow, did you delay this just so your prediction wouldn't be correct?

I'm easily impressed but I like that the EZI thing actually removed 10 gold from your wallet, also I'm honestly surprised they waited this long for a note puzzle and music dungeon,

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hel posted:

Wow, did you delay this just so your prediction wouldn't be correct?

When I heard myself say it I blacked out in shame and woke up at my desk with an empty bottle of vodka next to me

It's also kind of fun to hear Hbomb talking about how he mostly started his Patreon as a joke, since he's now literally making his living off of it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved "Heal the whole party by 12000 that sounds great I'LL TAKE 50! :byodood:"

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I randomly watched a Soda Chopinsky documentary with the wife and today there's an update. Hooray! Poor Chopster really kept striking out with the ladies. Reasonably witty letter writer, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Okay so the musical names were never that good and maybe I should blame the translators but someone sure ran out of even vaguely creative musical names at the end here. Elegy? Xylophone? Noise? Like, just Noise.

And I'll give you half points for the prediction because "Winter 2017" usually means the end of the year :colbert: At least in North America it does.

• Locked thread