Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The film is indeed Bring it On. My best friend was obsessed with it when we were about 14, so I have seen it a myriad times.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I get that they wanted to have a curve but if they started with theses combat mechanics instead of drip feeding them slowly I think the game might have been a lot more interesting to play.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Great to have you back. I've been looking forward to this part of the game for ages now.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Something something Persona 5 and losing track of time

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Instant Grat posted:

Something something Persona 5 and losing track of time

You must be tired. You should go to sleep.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I looked it up out of curiosity: The "Buck" of the phrase "To Pass the Buck" was a special card in a few card games, placed in front of the dealer to mark him. When it came time for the dealer to change the buck would be passed to the next player, and so would the responsibility of dealing. "The Buck Stops Here" was a play on this phrase meaning that President Truman would not pass on his responsibilities to lower level delegates (and let them take the fall if it failed) but would accept them wholeheartedly, along with any blame that would be assigned.

Edit because I want to talk about the final dungeon now we're here - One thing that I like here is that a lot of games have a final dungeon that is very long and difficult, often with a weird layout that makes it hard to navigate, like Star Ocean 4's Palace of Creation - Pork Lift and wateyad had no idea where to go and in the last vid posted one of them had to carefully check a walkthrough to find where to actually go.

This place however, the Double Reed Tower, is fairly well paced. You are in a tower, so you know you need to make your way up somehow, and the ways are really easy to find, even when a path loops back to a floor you've already been to you can recognise that it's a new part of it because it's separated from the rest of the floor. So you pick a direction and wend your way upwards then come across a pair of bosses as you do. Now you know how the dungeon works and can figure out how things will play from now on, unless you are InstantGrat and miss some vital clues that appear in the video. :P

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 27, 2017

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Monster Hunter is a game that is about 10% farming for resources and 90% fighting Giant Final Boss Fights.

One problem, is that that farming is front-loaded, so you start the game by doing boring chores. And it's a dozens-to-hundreds of hours long game, so that first 10% may actually hours long. This has been relieved somewhat, since there's free DLC that just gives you a ton of resources, but the game still starts off by doing some menial quests before reaching the meat of the game.
It's also really easy to trick yourself into doing a lot of the early quests early, even when there's no real reward for doing them, instead of moving on to harder quests with actual rewards.

Hunts in the game can take anywhere between 10 to 40 minutes. It's a pretty significant time investment. There is pretty active online co-op that speeds things up a lot, even with randos.

Eternal Sonata continues to not do anything. We're reaching my favorite point in the game, though. Aside from it being over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So the entire game is set up as Chopin's dying dream and only now we getting to it? Opening cutscene aside I really did want to give this game a chance but nothing is living up to anything I hoped for.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Which one of you fuckers

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
42. Garlic Dad

The next video is a bit special and I have no idea how to go about it - please look forward to it

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity: The "Buck" of the phrase "To Pass the Buck" was a special card in a few card games, placed in front of the dealer to mark him. When it came time for the dealer to change the buck would be passed to the next player, and so would the responsibility of dealing. "The Buck Stops Here" was a play on this phrase meaning that President Truman would not pass on his responsibilities to lower level delegates (and let them take the fall if it failed) but would accept them wholeheartedly, along with any blame that would be assigned

I'll do you one better: according to linguistics historian Richard Lederer, the buck was originally a buck knife that would be used to represent what is currently the dealer button; in other words, the player with the buck knife in front of them would be expected to deal if there was not an independent dealer at the table. The rest is the same.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Unfortunately the FF13 review mentioned seems to be on a dead site (Actionbutton.net isn't much right now). Is there any backup you could link to? I'd like to read that one.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BioEnchanted posted:

Unfortunately the FF13 review mentioned seems to be on a dead site (Actionbutton.net isn't much right now). Is there any backup you could link to? I'd like to read that one.

Here!

Click the "action button" (big orange one with a fist on it) to change it to a more readable theme

Edit: All the apostrophes, quotation marks, and dashes appear to have disappeared from archive.org's copy of the review, which is extremely weird

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Okay here's a version where a bunch of the punctuation isn't mysteriously missing. Still gotta hit the Action Button to get a readable theme though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In the PS3 version, Count Waltz is still alive and fights with the dragon in this fight, making it very difficult.

Also, all the philosophy-in-a-void scenes are completely different on PS3. No idea why.

e: Here:

https://youtu.be/UN3u0dOQJpI?t=1892
https://youtu.be/UN3u0dOQJpI?t=2801
https://youtu.be/TyP0XmDwKck?t=1311
https://youtu.be/TyP0XmDwKck?t=2649

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That it's even possible to miss a dragon the size of a house because you were punching between it's legs is hilarious. Even when you were hitting it with Falsetto I'm pretty sure you were still missing with a couple of hits.

Even if I was to give the game that the battle system is mildly interesting it's let down by the enemies who haven't changed in their basic design since the start of the game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
*snip*

The end is in sight - the next update is the last, barring any impromptu bonus streams or suchlike.

EDIT: God dammit I messed up the audio. Re-upload incoming, though it'll take a while. Sorry :(

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 27, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This update is the whole optional dungeon, which stretches over two recordings, and I somehow managed to overwrite the audio for the second one with a copy of the audio from the first one. Fixed video is uploading now, I'll post the link before I head to work tomorrow.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There we go.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That was actually a really exciting Rondo fight. Good job.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot believe it was the two hour long cut-and-edited dive into the optional bullshit dungeon that finally sold me on this game's combat system.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Imagine, if you had never done the optional dungeon I never would have known what the thread title means.

I was half expecting moans of disappointment after Falsetto got the last hit at the last possible moment instead of celebration. "Oh god drat it she won now we have to keep going."

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Fedule posted:

I cannot believe it was the two hour long cut-and-edited dive into the optional bullshit dungeon that finally sold me on this game's combat system.

If you beat the game without finding this dungeon, and you decide to do Encore Mode, you don't get the last combat level

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Okay so the musical names were never that good and maybe I should blame the translators but someone sure ran out of even vaguely creative musical names at the end here. Elegy? Xylophone? Noise? Like, just Noise.

And I'll give you half points for the prediction because "Winter 2017" usually means the end of the year :colbert: At least in North America it does.

Noise would be a good nickname in this universe.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Instant Grat posted:

If you beat the game without finding this dungeon, and you decide to do Encore Mode, you don't get the last combat level

Are JRPG designers just allergic to the notion of player-friendliness or

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We should petition twitter to get a new custom retweet character just for him. Maybe when retweeted from now on it could read ":h:YokoTaro"?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
You two are absolute madmen. I might also be going mad because I watched the entire thing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Clutch Falsetto! Holy poo poo what a boss fight.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That moment when a hard fight in a JRPG makes you somewhat love the game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

This game continues to amaze. Only giving the final level of gameplay if the optional dungeon? And another Chopin powerpoint? One only wonders what you get for NG+! (probably nothing but a feeling of disappointment)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On NG+ you get to do all the score pieces! It's totally worth it but because they won't bother I'll give you a small summary :v:

God dammit
I wanted to post a clip from Dexter's Lab of Deedee playing the piano but the only clip from that episode that I can find is the final song... Oh well, this joke is abandoned. Spent about 10 minutes searching too...

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
It's a bit of a shame (but completely justified because the dungeon is loving garbage) that you skipped the score pieces. I'd have liked to see the reaction to this, coming out of nowhere.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
https://igrat.co/lp/es-44-sample.mp3

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I can't wait for everyone in this thread to experience the ending of Eternal Sonata.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I can't wait for everyone in this thread to experience the ending of Eternal Sonata.

Is it a 2 hour long cutscene?

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is it a 2 hour long PowerPoint?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I am strangely invested on finding out what happens to anime Chop Chop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Finally after two years we are reaching the end of this game and Chopin can finally rest in peace.

• Locked thread