Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

I am pretty sure that if you go shopping the wrong week that beer costs more than the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
This is a bad game with a dumb story and a really simple combat system with about 2 or 3 gimmicks to it. The best bits of the story are completely irrelevant tangents and I can thinkg of one event in the actual story that I thought was good. It's a bit of a shame because both the gameplay and story have real potential that sound great on paper, but the game doesn't deliver.
I do genuinely like some of the character design, anime notwithstanding.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Uh EXCUSE ME H Bomber GAIJIN, I think you'll find that the only time JUNKO KANAME ever gets drunk is when she is drinking with her boss. If you knew anything about SUPERIOR JAPANESE CULTURE you would know that this is to do with a work social obligation. All the other times she's shown drinking she only drinks a glass or two. You can read more about how you're wrong about Puella Magi Madoka Magica on my polite and well-reasoned tumblr blog here.

(LP's looking good so far. Honestly if there's really co-op I might pick up a copy even if it's terrible :v:)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Taciturn Tactician posted:

(LP's looking good so far. Honestly if there's really co-op I might pick up a copy even if it's terrible :v:)

You can pick which gamepad controls each character in battle.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Grat posted:

You can pick which gamepad controls each character in battle.

Considering I played both Grandia 2 and Valkyria Chronicles with a friend passing the pad between battles, I think that's probably good enough.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Skippy Granola posted:

What? show-PAHN?

Well now this poo poo doesn't make any sense

You know, Frederic loving Chopin

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dragas posted:

liszt was better
Let's compare animes for a moment

well okay yeah, liszt is the better anime

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CHARACTERS OF ETERNAL SONATA, PART ONE: POLKA

Polka is dying of an unknown terminal disease. The disease is unknown either because we're not told what it is or I wasn't paying attention. Either way, this also means she has magical powers.

One of these powers is to use an umbrella as a weapon and get away with it. Others are glowing orange, and diving off a cliff. An amazing array of skills.

Polks is very briefly passed off as the main character before being completely subordinated by some guy with a top hat, and another guy with a shoulder pad made of feathers for some reason. It's a metaphor for our society and how it does that to women.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hbomberguy posted:

CHARACTERS OF ETERNAL SONATA, PART ONE: POLKA

Polka is dying of an unknown terminal disease. The disease is unknown either because we're not told what it is or I wasn't paying attention. Either way, this also means she has magical powers.

One of these powers is to use an umbrella as a weapon and get away with it. Others are glowing orange, and diving off a cliff. An amazing array of skills.

Polks is very briefly passed off as the main character before being completely subordinated by some guy with a top hat, and another guy with a shoulder pad made of feathers for some reason. It's a metaphor for our society and how it does that to women.

NICE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is this an example of the "Culture Wars" I've been hearing about? If so, the Japanese opened up with all their firepower.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Culture war? No. Remember how in, like, Star Trek they'd run into an alien race that seemed barbarous and cruel but actually it was just because their biology was weird and extraterrestrial in a way that made their crazy rituals perfectly sensible? In this analogy, Japan is the aliens. The director read a biography of Chopin and this is how his brain interpreted the sensory data.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
Well, this LP looks like it's going to be a ride.

I want to know why the game couldn't just have showed a lovely peaceful coastal village without a voiceover telling us that the peaceful coastal village it was showing us was in fact peaceful, and also that it was on the coast.

I feel like there might be a pithy saying that would sum that up but I'm distracted trying to work out what on earth the mother in suspiciously young-looking 39 year-old dying Chopin's dream world was going on about.

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
Was Chopin the first cultural marxist? Find out more on breitbart.com

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pichupal posted:

Just a quarter note.

For those who don't know, a PS3 port of Eternal Sonata was released about a year after the 360 one. Along with extra dungeons, it attempted to 'fix' the plot and made minor changes to dialogue, added scenes (an extra 2 minutes on that intro) It doesn't really help, but I ended up enjoying this silly anime game anyways.

I'll try to comment on any interesting differences that actually happen. The stuff added here is technically important, but the game will harp on it multiple times later.

Another 2 minutes of telling, not showing? :psypop:

Seriously, everything up to the actual entrance of Polka and Mother Polka could have been covered in a 20-second pan where the things being described were happening.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Last time: cutscenes and an onion.

This time: more onions, some chickens, some cats, a horse, more cutscenes, bread.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Before anyone asks. A ritardando is a musical expression that means to slow down. If it keeps up with the naming convention than I can't wait for the great city of Pianississimo.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
For living in the sewers, Alegretto and Beat are the best dressed homeless people I have ever seen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judge Tesla posted:

For living in the sewers, Alegretto and Beat are the best dressed homeless people I have ever seen.

That is also the prettiest sewer I've seen in many an age.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

That is also the prettiest sewer I've seen in many an age.

How many sewers have you seen???

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Suspicious Dish posted:

As if sewers are rare in video games

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, if I have to actually count, we'll be here all day. And occasionally throughout the following week as I pop in going "Oh yeah, and-"

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I guess since I know a little about music, I can throw up some definitions. Let me know if I've missed any.

Tenuto - means to hold a note for its full value or slightly longer
Polka - A dance and genre of music that originated in 19th century Bohemia Example
Ritardando - gradualy slow down the tempo of a song
Allegretto - A fairly brisk tempo
Beat - The speed at which music is played
Very Very Empty - The heads of most brass players

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Strong Mouse posted:

Beat - The speed at which music is played

Nice!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh god. Grat, when you said you were going to do Lightning Returns but you would leave it to us, I didn't think you'd be doing...this. I'm so sorry.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Strong Mouse posted:

Very Very Empty - The heads of most brass players

Ah, you're very close with this one. But actually its drummers (not to be confused with percussionist). Brass players tend to be full of themselves.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Dish posted:

Haven't you ever been to Paris?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Elgato's capture software lets you write little notes for each recording session, so I'm gonna post the ones I wrote while we were playing this game as we get to them.

Here's the one for the first session (episodes 1 and 2)

Artix posted:

Oh god. Grat, when you said you were going to do Lightning Returns but you would leave it to us, I didn't think you'd be doing...this. I'm so sorry.

I'm bad at decision-making

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dareon posted:

Another 2 minutes of telling, not showing? :psypop:

Seriously, everything up to the actual entrance of Polka and Mother Polka could have been covered in a 20-second pan where the things being described were happening.

To be fair, 100% of what was added isn't in the stupid dialogue between Polka and Solfege (the mother). It vaguely puts some of the nonsense into perspective, but only very slightly.

I'll see if I can record the differences, but it's slightly spoiler-y if you really think about why they were added to the PS3 port.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

pichupal posted:

To be fair, 100% of what was added isn't in the stupid dialogue between Polka and Solfege (the mother). It vaguely puts some of the nonsense into perspective, but only very slightly.

I'll see if I can record the differences, but it's slightly spoiler-y if you really think about why they were added to the PS3 port.

Cool fact: The name of Polka's mother is never mentioned in the game as far as I'm aware. The only reason I know it is because it was listed in the credits, and I got curious and looked up who "Solfege" was supposed to be, since I didn't remember any character by that name in the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pichupal posted:

Please give me the spoilers for the terrible JRPG video game. Thank you.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please give me the spoilers for the terrible JRPG video game. Thank you.
Well I've never done New Game Plus before...

Eternal Sonata PS3 differences - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2RSv_OCBM

A few things:
You won't be seeing that old lady again for about... 20 hours?
I kept part of the scene at the end to show where it connects back to the 360 version and to show off that Polka, Beat and Allegretto get the ability to change outfits in the PS3 version. She'll still be in her normal dress your first time through though.
Emilia is 14. Polka is also 14. Get the picture?

Something I can't use if I'm recording cutscenes:

Fun trivia, the average age of the party members in this game is 19, 20 in the PS3 version. Not counting anyone 8 years old, that average is 24. It's probably on the higher end for a JRPG cast.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

pichupal posted:

Well I've never done New Game Plus before...

Oh boy, you're in for a thing. If I recall correctly, NG+ multiples all enemy stats by 1.5, and the only thing you get to carry over is the Party Level, which you can now set manually instead of it being based on story progress. It was a pretty tough challenge in the 360 version; I can't imagine how annoying it must be in the PS3 version that already has buffed enemy stats.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the modern audiences can't appreciate classical music like that. Using anime is obviously helpful, but it's just one half of making the classics approachable. More importantly we need a video game that will present Chopin, Haydn, Liszt etc. in a dubstep format.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh boy, you're in for a thing. If I recall correctly, NG+ multiples all enemy stats by 1.5, and the only thing you get to carry over is the Party Level, which you can now set manually instead of it being based on story progress. It was a pretty tough challenge in the 360 version; I can't imagine how annoying it must be in the PS3 version that already has buffed enemy stats.

I've already forgotten button placement randomizes on Harmony Chains on Party Level 6. This is going to be horrible. You screw up blocking one attack and you die, pretty much right now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

D_W posted:

Ah, you're very close with this one. But actually its drummers (not to be confused with percussionist). Brass players tend to be full of themselves.

Cram it, brassholes.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

pichupal posted:

Fun trivia, the average age of the party members in this game is 19, 20 in the PS3 version. Not counting anyone 8 years old, that average is 24. It's probably on the higher end for a JRPG cast.
There's a hip-hop song about Vietnam in here somewhere.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well this looks a good watch. Always thought the setting idea was interesting but I heard it was rammed full of long cutscenes.

Also seeing as the related videos included another Let's Play on episode 77, I guess you'll be at this a while. I am looking forward to absolutely everything being a reference to a music thing. And Hbomb being accidentally racist.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Great Joe posted:

There's a hip-hop song about Vietnam in here somewhere.

Straight Outta Cao Bang

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
I can't wait for the anime JRPG about dodecaphonic composers.

it'll be a sequel to drakengard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CHARACTERS PART TWO: ALLEGRETTO

Allegretto is an incredibly pretty teenage boy-man who appears to run a small team of sewer-dwelling, yet remarkably well-dressed, equipped and camera-owning, orphan thieves. He's got a weird feather wing thing, presumably because he wanted to cosplay Sephiroph.

Apart from a bit where he briefly rants in detail about the systemic problems with Capitalism, he mostly has very little to say except textbook 'you're mean!' or 'wow, that was good music playing, Frederick' (spoilers, music man plays music) stuff you get with anime protagonists. He makes up for it by being written as comically dumb, so lots of his interactions with NPCs and dialogue about him is pretty funny.

Characters keep claiming there's romantic tension between Allegretto and Polka but we never see any. Presumably all those scenes got cut in favor of sewer levels.

• Locked thread