Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Great Joe posted:

I was wondering about what you said about toilet ghosts, so I went on the internet and found a list of the different types of toilet ghost in Japanese folklore. Something about dying on the can is just terrifying to them.

That website posted:

6) Toilet Hanako

Possibly the most famous of the Japanese toilet ghosts, Hanako is actually a relatively benign spirit. Basically, she's a scary thing Japanese kids dare each other to summon, by either knocking on the stall door or saying "Are you there, Hanako-san?" to which she will reply that she is. Occasionally she will be seen as well. While descriptions vary, generally she is described as having an old-fashioned bob haircut and wearing a red skirt. There are various origins for Hanako: some say she is the ghost of a child killed during a bomb raid in WWII, other legends variously claim she was killed by a deranged parent or stranger.

Hanako is a popular subject for Japanese pop culture. There is a series of horror movies based on a more sinister version of the legend, and she also pops up in several anime and manga. In the anime Haunted Junction, Hanako is portrayed as a sultry and busty teenager in a too small (and too tight) school uniform. The little toilet ghost fares a bit better as one of the stars in the manga Hanako and the Terror of Allegory; she's still a young girl, but she is given incredible supernatural hacking powers and the power to teleport between any two toilets in the world.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supernatural hacking powers :laffo:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 25, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Instant Grat posted:

In the anime Haunted Junction, Hanako is portrayed as a sultry and busty teenager in a too small (and too tight) school uniform

BECAUSE OF COURSE

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
In the video game Eternal Sonata, Hanako is portrayed as a horse with the mystical and unexplained power to shrink down and glue herself to the hands of young photographers

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

"That Chopin fucker's got nothin' on me." —Hans C-Money Andersen

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I remember enjoying this game's gameplay, but the only thing I actually remember about the plot is that there was a scene that went on for so, so long that it literally flashed back to itself at one point.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Hopeford posted:

I remember enjoying this game's gameplay, but the only thing I actually remember about the plot is that there was a scene that went on for so, so long that it literally flashed back to itself at one point.

Could be worse. In another Namco game 'Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of The New World', the main character flashes back to something that only happened about 30 seconds earlier during the introduction part of the game.

Part of me wonders if the writers or devs for that title were put in charge of this one.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Character of Eternal Sonata Part Three: Beat

Beat is Allegretto's little brother/pseudo-brother. Either way they're both homeless kids.

Beat's got a cool gun that doubles as a hammer, and also a camera. How he owns these incredibly expensive and (from what we see of the game) potentially one-of-a-kind items is currently unknown.

His plot purpose is mostly to be a dumb foil for Allegretto to talk down to, but as far as 'annoying kid' characters go, I kinda like him. He plays off quite well with other characters who turn up later. He strikes a good balance between 'slightly brash child who doesn't take things seriously' with 'relatively innocent person coming to terms with the depths of human suffering.' So like Hope from FF13 but if he was in a game with writers or a story.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gently caress this game. I came into it expecting great things because tri-Crescendo co-developed Baten Kaitos (my favourite game of all time) with Monolith Soft and because Motoi Sakuraba composed the soundtrack. As it happens, the soundtrack isn't nearly as great as that of either Baten Kaitos game, and in hindsight the good things about those games were implemented by Monolith Soft - hence why Xenoblade was so good and this game was a pile of shite. Eagerly awaiting the rest of the LP.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Venomous posted:

Xenoblade was so good

do not post in this thread again

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Venomous posted:

gently caress this game. I came into it expecting great things because tri-Crescendo co-developed Baten Kaitos (my favourite game of all time) with Monolith Soft and because Motoi Sakuraba composed the soundtrack. As it happens, the soundtrack isn't nearly as great as that of either Baten Kaitos game, and in hindsight the good things about those games were implemented by Monolith Soft - hence why Xenoblade was so good and this game was a pile of shite. Eagerly awaiting the rest of the LP.

Baten Kaitos is your favorite game of all time but you didn't like the battle system?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

wateyad posted:

Baten Kaitos is your favorite game of all time but you didn't like the battle system?

Oh, I didn't realise the battle system was tri-Crescendo's doing. Fair dos.

Hbomberguy posted:

sorry boss, won't happen again

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's been a while since the last update! It will probably be a tiny while more. Today is my birthday, so it's gonna be more spending time with family, and less editing audio for internet video game videos.

Update tomorrow probably!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Instant Grat posted:

It's been a while since the last update! It will probably be a tiny while more. Today is my birthday, so it's gonna be more spending time with family, and less editing audio for internet video game videos.

Update tomorrow probably!
Wow that's some hosed up priorities man.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well, we have hbomb inadvertently calling Polka a racial slur, The White Dragon doing the same to Vivi, who else will take the plunge into accidental racism? Tune in next week to find out.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Happy birthday! :toot:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Accidental racism is better than the usual for me

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Took a few days extra, but here we are! New update:

Recording notes:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Instant Grat posted:

Took a few days extra, but here we are! New update:

Recording notes:

Video is private.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Forgall posted:

Video is private.

Yeah I just realized, it's fixed now. Sorry!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In a few hours you'll be glad the option to go back to Party Level 1 wasn't available.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BioEnchanted posted:

In a few hours you'll be glad the option to go back to Party Level 1 wasn't available.

Yeah, in case anyone is curious, selecting your party level is part of the (soon-to-be rapidly expanding) list of things that are only available in New Game+.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Harris Bomberguy's name wasn't actually Harris at all? :aaaaa:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I read "fancybeers" in that description as "cyberbeers", somehow.

Party Level is an actually interesting mechanic that, unfortunately, doesn't really save the system from becoming stale, but it sure tries to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I read "fancybeers" in that description as "cyberbeers", somehow.

Party Level is an actually interesting mechanic that, unfortunately, doesn't really save the system from becoming stale, but it sure tries to.

It would be okay if it wasn't done better in Baten Kaitos half a decade before ES came out. As is it's like "you guys couldn't even successfully copy your own game"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

as of the latest update, we are halfway through session 2 part 1

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Did we die at the end or were we just dreaming? Things got weird.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hbomberguy posted:

Did we die at the end or were we just dreaming? Things got weird.

inconclusive

post freddy's character bio

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Freddy

Freddy's a well-known Japanese Cartoon character from the popular Cromartie High School series. Despite being a direct reference to an obscure Tanzanian singer called Farrokh Bulsara, and often being seen with his mouth agape while holding a microphone, his voice is never heard. He seems to be friends with Mechazawa, and often parties with Kamiyama and his group. Most of his appearances are accompanied with a signature guitar riff, reminiscent of British rock band Wreckage (formerly known as Ibex).

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 19, 2015

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Updates are delayed because I've been playing Mad Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eod0SYWspzg

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Wreckage (formerly known as Ibex).

Deep cuts itt

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

My art has been delayed due to Heroes of the Storm. Gonna make my millions in e-sports.

CHARACTERS OF ETERNAL SONATA: FREDERIC FRANCOIS CHOPIN

(bonus version with no lines)

Freddy Chopping is the main character, in a sense. He's dying, and the game is his dying dream. Or maybe it isn't? They sort of imply? I hope it isn't, because he's barely in it and mostly talks about how weird his dream is and plays really good piano offscreen while the real story happens.

Because his weapon is frequently referred to as a 'shaft', Freddo is fodder for numerous jokes that Grat is going to edit out.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hbomberguy posted:

My art has been delayed due to Heroes of the Storm. Gonna make my millions in e-sports.

CHARACTERS OF ETERNAL SONATA: FREDERIC FRANCOIS CHOPIN

(bonus version with no lines)

Freddy Chopping is the main character, in a sense. He's dying, and the game is his dying dream. Or maybe it isn't? They sort of imply? I hope it isn't, because he's barely in it and mostly talks about how weird his dream is and plays really good piano offscreen while the real story happens.

Because his weapon is frequently referred to as a 'shaft', Freddo is fodder for numerous jokes that Grat is going to edit out.

Good, that should cover all of 'em for a little while.

Time for an update!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Yeah, way back when this game was new and I gave it a spin, this is the boss that taught me the game's not very hard, but it's not afraid to kick you square in the teeth if you aren't careful.

Glad you finally found out that Beat actually, you know, has a gun! You may want to do some more experimentation, a couple of characters in this game have unique mechanics that the game expects you to either know about or figure out on your own.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like how you've gone from "This combat has 0 depth so why are we even paying attention?" to "We might need to actually do things???"

I look forward to how this spirals downward.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bathroomrage posted:

Glad you finally found out that Beat actually, you know, has a gun! You may want to do some more experimentation, a couple of characters in this game have unique mechanics that the game expects you to either know about or figure out on your own.

Hbomb will be playing as Beat throughout the majority of the LP because he sees a lot of himself in this small, stupid child

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

[17:13:31] Instant Grat: i searched for "sexy boob" on tumblr

also update your thread, grat

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
An update will be inbound momentarily. I'm editing the audio right now and I'm gonna be honest, the next one is probably my favorite of the bunch so far. It's important enough that I'm gonna have to change the thread title for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

• Locked thread