Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Viola ended up being my favorite character to play as, since she just does a poo poo ton of damage out far for free and is also really good up close. She at least has a bit more variety than "Mash A, then maybe Y at the end if I have enough Echoes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I forgot to edit the OP with a link to the new update! That's done now.

So I'm gonna take this opportunity to open the second round of the competition!

In this latest video, we met Viola, a woman with some hair, who has a very cute little pet furry creature of some variety named Arco. I want you to guess how many scenes Arco appears in throughout the entire game. The closer you get to being the one who got nearest the right answer, the more points you'll get.

Since we can't really judge this competition until a fair amount of time has passed, I exploit my status as thread creator by awarding 1 instant bonus point to any guess which is accompanied by an image of your own adorable pet companion. I want to see pictures of cute animals, and I want you to provide them for me.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Eh, why not. I'll go for ten.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nine! No, um, six! Err, two! Uhhhhhhhh. Five!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Gonna go for lucky number Seven!

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Eh, most of the cutscenes have been people sitting/standing around talking so I'm guessing a cute animal companion would just detract from all that riveting action. I'm going for three.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Four.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I played through this game twice and until this video I did not remember that Viola had a pet. I'm going to guess he appears in a single scene in the entire game and we just saw it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I played through this game twice and until this video I did not remember that Viola had a pet. I'm going to guess he appears in a single scene in the entire game and we just saw it.

I'll agree with this, but say twice. It'll be comedy relief or a tragic death.

Or both! :3:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

(I don't have a pet companion because apartment building but I googled "pilgrim dog" and this came up)

I'm gonna guess four times

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
If I had my stuff sorted out, there'd be a picture of two kitties here! Maybe in a few months. :3: For now, a number has to do, and that number is one.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

zoom in

enhance

yes

Logicblade posted:

Gonna go for lucky number Seven!

yes

Lockmat posted:

Eh, most of the cutscenes have been people sitting/standing around talking so I'm guessing a cute animal companion would just detract from all that riveting action. I'm going for three.

YES

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm going to guess six for the sake of filling in the guess gaps! This is my cat, Charmer, my awkward, angry, old cat that I love so much.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZBmBZa-9qo&t=84s

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Instant Grat posted:

For now though, update!

Allegretto slowly narrowing his eyes when Beat said he might wet himself. :allears:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CODY NO

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Characters of Eternal Sonata, part whatever:

VIOLA

Viola herds goats. This features in her design in the form of those weird bunched-up goat ear/horn shapes in her hair. Unfortunately the rest of her design got mixed up with an unrelated character who dances in a cage in a goat-themed nightclub.

Viola is upset that goats are being taxed - or something? More importantly, a life of defending goats from whatever the natural predator of a goat is, which I can only assume is God himself, has led to her becoming a murdermaster who can carry the whole party singlehandedly. Her character development is, she briefly wonders if it's okay to be single at age 26 (a spinster in Anime years), then decides it is and continues to gank fools for ever.

I like Viola because, apart from her design, she is almost completely untainted by the Anime Madness that has infected most of the story. She doesn't have to serve the bullshit plot very much so she's completely free to just do whatever

Her pet, Arco, is not in this picture because I forgot he exists at all. But that's how rad Viola is. She has a bullshit anime companion and they don't even turn up enough to imprint on your memory.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
A bit late, but I'm guessing five times.

Also, here is my hoary old beast.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 7, 2015

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here's a cool dog I found in Cool Dog Group on Facebook to celebrate that I'm finally done with my exam project.

Update in the next couple of days probably. It will require some editing. Fort Fermata is not a good dungeon, and we did not have a good time playing through it. It marked the first and only time (if memory serves) where we had to resort to a walkthrough for non-optional stuff because frankly, loving hell man.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Also, here is my hoary old beast.

Fixed your image embed! That is an excellent dog, top marks. :bubblewoop:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

This picture made me understand something. I'm generally a cat person, and IMO cats are on average cuter than dogs. But now I realize the cute dogs are so much cuter than cats.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I just got caught up with the videos! By any chance, does this game suck??

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tin Hat posted:

I just got caught up with the videos! By any chance, does this game suck??

this is fort fermata after editing

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I'm not gonna lie, we got kind of frustrated when we were playing through this dungeon (at least I did, I got the impression Hbomb was having the time of his life). I've severely sped up the most pointless backtracking and aimless wandering, and it's still an hour long. I wanted to keep it in its own, single video, so that way it's over and done with and we can move on to more silly cutscenes, health sponge boss battles, and informative PowerPoint presentations.

Enjoy, I guess??

Eternal Sonata competition totals

4 points
BravestOfTheLamps

2½ points
Lockmat

2 points
Moskau

1 point
citybeatnik
Logicblade
broken pixel
sleepy.eyes

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 14, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mods please update hbomberman's display name.

editorial trip report: real cool tunes by pork lift and also some jazz guy there, can confirm having witnessed the disappointing mermaid statue and also a 16-year old boy jumping down to cup its boob for a picture

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 14, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm never a fan of moving block puzzles but a moving block puzzle where you can't even see the blocks moving is the worst.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Fort Fermata, more like Fort Fuckthis. This is probably the worst dungeon of the game, but not yet the worst part if my memories do not deceive me.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I should mention that, if you do not want to watch 40 minutes of us banging our heads against some astonishingly awful puzzle design followed by 20 minutes of Hbomb reading aloud to me from a walkthrough, this video is more or less skippable - there are no cutscenes or story bits or boss battles or anything in it.

Here's the executive summary for those of you who'd rather just move on to the funny bits:

• Everyone except Beat gets a new weapon, Beat gets to eat poo poo
  • We discover that Viola is the most powerful character in the party by far
  • In addition to her crazy damage output, Viola also gets an all-targeting unlimited-range healing spell
  • I get angry and yell once or twice
  • I talk briefly about Odense, Hans Christian Andersen, and the statue of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen
  • We kill approx. 237 rats

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

• We kill approx. 237 rats

Don't you mean Lords of Darkness?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
You did it, Viola got Heal Arrow and became the best character in the game.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
When I was in Copenhagen I completely failed to find the Little Mermaid statue because either I can't read maps for poo poo or it was so tiny I completely failed to see it. That's my Copenhagen story.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Lockmat posted:

When I was in Copenhagen I completely failed to find the Little Mermaid statue because either I can't read maps for poo poo or it was so tiny I completely failed to see it. That's my Copenhagen story.

It's just north of Amalienborg (the royal castle), on the south end of Langelinie.

You didn't miss much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That temple was a terrible grind and took way too long.

And it's still better than most of the cloisters in FFX which is just awful to think of.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RareAcumen posted:

That temple was a terrible grind and took way too long.

And it's still better than most of the cloisters in FFX which is just awful to think of.

I disagree vehemently (except Bevelle, that place was awful)

New update!

I'm happy to report that we actually have a good time and some laughs in this one. We talk about hobbies, other video games, and we meet a horse. Overall, pretty nifty!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That shadow in the last battle was actually a cloud that was passing by!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That shadow in the last battle was actually a cloud that was passing by!

Seriously? That counts? I never noticed that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah, you can see it pretty well near 24:23, look at the right side of the combat area.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Games have achievements for unskippable progression so that the devs can track how far people get through games and see what sections caused the most progression dropoffs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's a thing people always say but honestly, if you want progression tracking, you can get much better and more fine-grained tracking by just implementing it yourself rather than abusing achievements, since all that tells you that sometime in that X hour game interval the player decided to drop the game. I think achievements actually being used for that is a rare corner-case.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I actually had to play claves in grade school, not because I was the kid who couldn't play any music at all, but because I was the only percussionist we had who could keep time. Claves suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The damage boost Viola gets by walking two steps back is so absurd, after a bit I realized it's usually better to just run her to the edge of the map before shooting because it's just stronger, faster, more efficient damage. Hell, enemies will never get closer to her since they'll be targeting the other two, closer party members, so once you're set, you're set for the fight.
Claves suck.

• Locked thread