Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
In addition to claves being a pair of sticks, the clave is a rhythmic pattern that is the backbone of afro-cuban music

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clave_%28rhythm%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Updates delayed because I bought Bloodborne with my Christmas money and it's incredibly engaging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdK72Qg_Lig

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I thought you weren't a Souls fan? Cool to see they finally made it work for you.

However:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

THEY ARE LITERALLY RECOMMENDING ME COMMERCIALS

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hbomberguy posted:

I thought you weren't a Souls fan? Cool to see they finally made it work for you.

I'm not! I still have no interest in going back and trying Dark Souls again, even though Dish really wants me to give it another shot. Bloodborne is fun though!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hbomb can you help me peer pressure Grat into playing Good Video Game #1 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I mean, you played a loving JRPG for fun so you have no right to say that the battles are too slow and repetitive.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

hold on, lemme try, uh *ahem*

:denmark:halleøjsa danedjævel, spil det fandspil før helvede:denmark:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Today, we explore the city of Forte, and look for some rear end in a top hat kid.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The whole Score/Session mechanic is neat in theory but it's broken by how the game handles backtracking. Unless you're in New Game+, it's impossible to actually go back to most places, but the game is happy to give you score pieces after you've already passed the correct person to play them with.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The whole Score/Session mechanic is neat in theory but it's broken by how the game handles backtracking. Unless you're in New Game+, it's impossible to actually go back to most places, but the game is happy to give you score pieces after you've already passed the correct person to play them with.

To quote myself from the Fort Fermata video:

Instant Grat posted:

Second playthrough? Are they loving nuts?

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The Score/Sessions thing is cute, but it's literally just rubbing two pieces of music together to see what the game characters thinks is good. The fact that there may be prizes for multiple combinations means you can't even just ignore scores after using them once. You're better off just looking at a guide to see what's worth bothering with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if "Phil" is for "philharmonic."

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
You guys do eventually realize it's Phil for philharmonic orchestra, right?

E:mothherfuxker

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you sure you equipped those items?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Weird BIAS posted:

You guys do eventually realize it's Phil for philharmonic orchestra, right?

E:mothherfuxker

We completely failed to realize that "Mt. Rock" was rock as in, rock music.

We are not the brightest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Frenerick may be a composer but he is actually dressed like a com-poser!

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
Violinist of Hamelin also had a brutish one-off character named Tuba for what that's worth (nothing).

Also, the joke with the piano is even worse because piano is a musical notation term meaning "softly" in addition to being an instrument.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I can't stop noticing the weird arm poses. I guess it must be because they had no other way to prevent everyone's hands from constantly clipping through their poofy pants/skirts?

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009
MODE had a bouncer name Tuba.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My dad does the arm thing after about 8 beers.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

He just subconsciously starts doing it when he's a certain level of drunk, like his brain knows he's gonna fall over. I call it "the penguin".

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

NextSundayA.D. posted:

MODE had a bouncer name Tuba.

YES, that was it! It was driving me nuts, and Google was giving me nothing. Thank you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I half-suspect the reason Allegretto is so down on Beat for taking pictures is that there needs to be some encouragement for you not to crash the game's meager economy.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I'd say we have reached peak anime, but I suspect this is but the foothills of the heights this game will reach.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This video contains one of my favorite moments from the entire recording sessions. It's really good.

I've badgered Hbomb for suggestions for contests, there will be a new one soon.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I keep clicking through the videos looking for this moment. Glad it's finally up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That was indeed perfect timing, haha.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I said we'd have another contest, didn't I? Let's do that!

Eternal Sonata is nothing if not a politically charged game. Probably. Look, I said and heard the word "taxes" more times while I was playing this game than I've done for the entire rest of my life combined. That's gotta count for something, somehow. With that in mind, and with the American political circus (which I assume most of you are at least peripherally aware of) currently running at full gallop, I want to hear your takes on the political leanings of our gallant warriors.

Or, to put it more succintly, I want you to tell me who the characters of Eternal Sonata would vote for, and why! Completely up to you how much effort you put into it - a paragraph about Beat's secret love for Ted Cruz, or a run-through of the political leanings of every named character we've ever met complete with photoshopped election posters. Points will be given out free-form with no set minimum or maximum, mostly by Hbomb, with the caveat that I get to step in and veto his decisions when he inevitably decides to take everyone's EternoBux and replace them with equal amounts of linen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh hey, I missed an update. Realizing Phil is Philharmonic was good too. And you know, besides finding out what exactly prompts Polka to cliff dive, I think learning all the dumb music names (like Slur) is what I'm really looking forward to.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They'd all vote for Jill Stein because this happens in France and every single country that isn't China is far to the Left of America.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Salsa is great and cute, and she's really good at getting the Echo count up. I'm pretty sure I had her in the party whenever possible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
With her big pharma conspiracy theories, violia is a shoe in for a trump voter.

Beat, being the only gun nut, just votes for whoever the NRA says to.

Allegretto is too cynical to vote.

Polka is a hillary voter.

Fredrich is polish. This somehow answers the question.

Salsa is a green party voter.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
They would all be green party voters. In keeping with Japanese RPG tradition they're all about saving the planet from mineral powder mining (bad for the environment & poisonous to users) and prefer natural remedies like floral powder. I'm not quit sure how they're marrying their ecological stance with cutting a bloody swathe through all the wildlife they encounter, but whatever, game mechanics. They're also naïve enough to think that if they can just really sit down and talk to whoever's in charge everything can be worked out, there will be hugs, a drum circle and some herbal tea.

Like all green party voters, though, eventually they will grow up and realise that the green party is a bunch of useless hand-wringing babies that, when in a coalition government, hand right wing parties everything they want from being horrible to refugees and poor people to giving ludicrous tax breaks to wealthy polluting multinational corporations and all that in return for some token gestures or jobs that never materialise.

In conclusion glory to Marxism-Leninism-Mao Zedong Thought, kill the rich and send the green counter-revolutionaries to reeducation camps.

Except Chopin. He's just a Polish nationalist and has no politics other than that.

Yes, I was a green voter in my youth.

Also I saw Carpenter Brut live 2 weeks ago and it was super awesome and you should all go see him if you get the chance.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If Ron Paul was still running they'd vote for him. Down with drug regulations! Socialized Healthcare keeps people from getting supernatural magical powers!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Frederic votes for freedom

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Considering how great Salsa and Viola are, it's a shame that the rest of the party is so average.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Lockmat posted:

They would all be green party voters. In keeping with Japanese RPG tradition they're all about saving the planet from mineral powder mining (bad for the environment & poisonous to users) and prefer natural remedies like floral powder. I'm not quit sure how they're marrying their ecological stance with cutting a bloody swathe through all the wildlife they encounter, but whatever, game mechanics. They're also naïve enough to think that if they can just really sit down and talk to whoever's in charge everything can be worked out, there will be hugs, a drum circle and some herbal tea.

Like all green party voters, though, eventually they will grow up and realise that the green party is a bunch of useless hand-wringing babies that, when in a coalition government, hand right wing parties everything they want from being horrible to refugees and poor people to giving ludicrous tax breaks to wealthy polluting multinational corporations and all that in return for some token gestures or jobs that never materialise.

In conclusion glory to Marxism-Leninism-Mao Zedong Thought, kill the rich and send the green counter-revolutionaries to reeducation camps.

Except Chopin. He's just a Polish nationalist and has no politics other than that.

Yes, I was a green voter in my youth.

Also I saw Carpenter Brut live 2 weeks ago and it was super awesome and you should all go see him if you get the chance.

This is the winner because it's accurate, criticizes narrative/gameplay dissonance, and is written by a Carpenter Brut fan. A million points.

Alternatively, a relevant and fitting amount of points. It's up to Grat.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hbomberguy posted:

This is the winner because it's accurate, criticizes narrative/gameplay dissonance, and is written by a Carpenter Brut fan. A million points.

Alternatively, a relevant and fitting amount of points. It's up to Grat.

This inflation cannot stand - I am appointing a committee to draft up a report on your suspicious activities for further review, to be acted upon within 8-9 months (or tomorrow, alternatively, is when I will dole out some points for the entrants).

Meanwhile, here's an update - it's been ready for a while, but I wanted Hbomb to judge the contest first :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alegretto smothering Beat for more than 4 minutes is incredibly amusing.

Seriously he started at 22:22.

• Locked thread