Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It must really suck not having Viola in the party. She's just insanely useful both as damage and healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

You know the devs didn't understand music when they named the most useful character in the game after one of the most traditionally underutilized instruments in an orchestra. Perhaps it was a subtle jab at how historically violas were given to violinist who were good enough for 2nd violins positions and how pure viola players get so much poo poo both from other sections and composers despite the instrument itself having a really wonderful range. But I doubt the writers were that aware.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait a second.

Randomly switching party members at seemingly random plot points, narrative missing massive key details and character interactions, combat system excruciatingly introduced over the course of half the game?

I think you're playing Final Fantasy 13.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
I think Hbomb likes his coffee in a tiny little bag dunked in hot water with milk added so the whole thing looks a sickening shade of beige. By which I mean he likes his coffee to be tea cause he's British.

I've been annoying my Chopin-loving wife (the composer, not the anime) by giving him nicknames inspired by this LP.

Chopin cart
The Chopmeister
Chip chop can't make Freddie stop
The slap Chop

Yes, I'm 6 years old in real life.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Lockmat posted:

The slap Chop

Someone needs to put me and Hbomb in a gulag for not thinking of that

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I'm not going to go back and watch every cutscene but I just want to confirm that Polka "loving" Allegretto literally came out of nowhere right? There has been zero development of that at all - they've even spent half the game separated. I bet everyone else in the party noticed though.

But with that many love stories, and even a triangle, popping up all at once that's a lot of potential character deaths in the future. Who will sacrifice themselves for whom? I'm betting on Falsetto dying for Jazz and then Viola going "Well, hey, as long as you're single again... again..."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's all a blur of anime people moving and emoting sedately.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Honestly that scene read less like Polka was in love with Allegretto and more like she was having an existential crisis. She has a weird paradox stone that seems to dictate that she has to fall in love with this sewer boy but at no point did she appear to like the idea.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can kinda vaguely see where the Polka and Allegretto thing might have come from? Jazz and Viola is out of loving nowhere though. Didn't they spend like, a single dungeon together?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Artix posted:

I can kinda vaguely see where the Polka and Allegretto thing might have come from? Jazz and Viola is out of loving nowhere though. Didn't they spend like, a single dungeon together?

I'd like to see you spend even half a dungeon hanging out with Organ McHuge without falling in love with his massive biceps

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Organ Mchuge works so well

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Double Plus Undead posted:

Honestly that scene read less like Polka was in love with Allegretto and more like she was having an existential crisis. She has a weird paradox stone that seems to dictate that she has to fall in love with this sewer boy but at no point did she appear to like the idea.

Actually I guess I can see that working. It happened a week before that scene with Viola so Polka could have been acting weird around Allegretto for that long and Viola picked up on it and now I'm thinking way too hard about a JRPG that is plodding even by JRPG standards.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Organ Mchuge works so well

BI CEPS
*dun dun duuun*
TRI CEPS
*dun dun DUUUN*
QUADRICEPS
*BA BA BAAAA*
F I V E C E P S
*BADABADABAAAAA*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
merry birthday dr. chopenstein

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hang on - a giant cauldron with purple smoke emanating from it? OH GOD! It's the DARK GENIE!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The what?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dark Cloud Joke - the cauldron is similar, as is the smoke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Hang on - a giant cauldron with purple smoke emanating from it? OH GOD! It's the DARKDANK GENIE!

I think we all know what's going on with the "magic man."

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This video game is dumb

There will be another live stream of this dumb video game soon (this weekend or next week), in which we follow the clue on the mysterious note we got upon defeating Captain Dolce for the second time (something we completely failed to do in the recorded playthrough).

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
"Oh that Instant Grat. He promises a stream and then vanishes off the face of the Earth. What's going on? Is he just being flaky again?"

Well, kind of, but also kind of not. I posted this to twitter a little while ago, so I might as well keep you updated in here as well.

https://twitter.com/InstantGratSA/status/811940448751251456

Possibly an update tonight, because I'm mostly done with the initial tests and consultations and now just have to wait for the surgery. After that, though, it'll depend on what they find out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hoping for the best, man. Good luck.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't really know what to say, so I'll 2nd what Ometeotl said. Now's a good time for a Christmas Miracle... Or Hanukkah Miracle in my case (though that's mostly limited to oil supplies lasting for longer than they should).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Take care of yourself. I'm going for the best as well.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
When we say that anime causes cancer, it's not supposed to be taken literally!

In all seriousness though, I hope everything turns out well

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Best wishes! We're rooting for you.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Well wishes to people who've brought us great joy and good LPs!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Best of luck Instant Grat. Just hope that the Eternal Sonata doesn't metastasize :P.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Take care Instant Grat.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, hope it'll be nothing/benign.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I hope you'll be ok, Instant Grat!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Sorry to hear that, hope you turn out to be OK!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Jesus, cancer and Eternal Sonata?

Life is just unfair to you. But seriously, I hope they caught it early and you recover soon.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Thanks for all the nice words

Having cancer is poo poo, would not recommend

Happy new years

Enjoy Eternal Sonata

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That is some really awkward body positioning in that hug. Falsetto and Jazz are literally just leaning into each other's left arms. Falsetto probably rolled right off 2 seconds after that cutscene ended.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck with the fight, Grat.

It's weird how a second plot beat in a row just kind of ended with an antagonist walking up and saying how they're going to kill everyone then getting curbstomped. I suppose this is what comes of ambushing Polka in the middle of a dungeon with all her friends rather than, I dunno, when she was staring wistfully out to sea? Couldn't find out where she lived?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Good luck with the fight, Grat.

It's weird how a second plot beat in a row just kind of ended with an antagonist walking up and saying how they're going to kill everyone then getting curbstomped. I suppose this is what comes of ambushing Polka in the middle of a dungeon with all her friends rather than, I dunno, when she was staring wistfully out to sea? Couldn't find out where she lived?

Because doing something competent like kidnapping Polka, would take her out of the party for most of the game from this point on I imagine (Polka would get taken to the evil prince's place back in I-forget-where-Ando and you would have to go there and defeat both of them, which would leave only the inevitable evil God-boss that All JRPGs are required to have).

I did expect her to be a bit more competent since all her compatriots are dead (except Queen Spy in Baroque) and she witnessed this group murder her rival back in A-Go-Go Forest. I'm still waiting for Black metal Island and Gangster Rap Canyon dungeons because that would just be perfect!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Sadly, Tri-Crescendo are cowards, and there's nothing so fun and out-there as a Zeuhl Swamp or a Synthwave Coast in this bugfuck insane video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

They should have had the background music of each area fit the name - an example of the genre that the name implied, Culminating in a final boss at Mt Rock with the only licensed track playing - As you're chasing the boss down to the final battle you hear this: "One way, or another. I'm gonna find you. I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha! etc"

• Locked thread