Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At the risk of various things I am going to engage the discussion of the appeal of fan wikis and their complete lack of acknowledgement of anything diagetic.

25% serious answer: autism.

Much more serious answer; these things are, more than anything else, compilations of canon rather than works. Getting particularly deep into any examination of canon is a recipe for disaster but; we latch onto this notion that there is an aspect of the works we enjoy that persists in the universe beyond the times we are actively participating in them. That aspect is basically a bunch of "facts", or probably "assertions" is a better term, about the world, characters, plot or, at a stretch, themes. These are separate from any consideration of how the story is told. So on the one hand you have Yoda, Yoda's appearance, Yoda's personality, what Yoda does in which film (chronological order optional), the rich history of Yoda's loving lightsaber form, the reason Yoda uses a short lightsaber instead of a long one even though considerations of weight and balance shouldn't apply to lightsabers, etc. And on the other hand you have Yoda's puppet (or CG model), Yoda's voice actor, how Yoda is framed in each shot, how they got a human interacting with a puppet/CG person, the reason someone decided he should be green instead of blue, etc etc. More bluntly, you've got the things that would persist if the film was rewritten, and the things that would persist if the film was remade (although in reality a remake would be paired with a rewrite. Actually, this is a pretty good example; when Star Wars was remade, they changed a bunch of stuff that was all basically cinematic (CG detail that availed itself of the improved technology of its time), and a few frames of a single scene such that one character shoots second where previously he shot first. One of these changes has an entire pile of wiki content written about it. The rest are only really grudgingly acknowledged.)

Anyway, this is the distinction you danced around in the video; story versus storytelling. How the story is bought to something resembling life is mercurial, evolving, evocative, interpretive, often completely subjective, absolutely a product of the times, and ultimately fleeting because for the most part the method is not what sticks in your mind. That's the content, which is prescriptive, cumulative, orderable, sortable, operable; these are all things that nerds like, broadly.

The other great bastion of the categorisation of everything, TVTropes, blurs these lines somewhat in its relentless march towards every single human notion having a snappy pun-based title; it does acknowledge some of the more well-known aspects of works that are definitively filmmaking, like certain shot compositions or long takes or colour balance, but only on quite a superficial level. The site has an absolute dearth of analysis of how any of this stuff is actually leveraged in any given work, but hey, they sure can list every single cut longer than thirty seconds they've ever seen, especially if Joss Whedon was involved.

Eternal Sonata's Wiki would be a list of editors of Eternal Sonata's Wiki's Wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hbomberguy posted:

This is well thought out.

My stance is, to put it bluntly, that the method is all there is. Lots of critics like to contrast style with substance, but substance is derived entirely from how the thing is made. The medium (or as we're putting it here, the method) is the message.

When two people attempt to have a conversation, they are doing so through a careful negotiation of methods of communication. I translate my ideas into words, you hear them and interpret them. Conversations are, paradoxically, ultimately an absence of conversation - our minds can never interface perfectly, instead mediated by language, expressions, or in this instance text, and our particular ways of reading and writing them. What matters is what we do with this knowledge. One solution is to understand the inherent impossibility of true communication, and act accordingly by trying to be more understanding of people who may not be very good at getting an idea across, and learning how to get ideas across better to specific audiences and so on.

Time Art works the same way. It's a repository for ideas but in forms even more indirect than a conversation. You can for example get across the idea that war is bad by showing bombs getting dropped and then cutting to some sad kids covered in dirt starting to cry. Opening Crying War Kids Dot Wikia because it was so striking to you actually obscures meaning by pinning it down with needless 'canon' - how many tears did they cry, what are their names, what plane was dropping the bombs, etc. - it can be enjoyable to gather this information and create the sense of a concrete world and all its moving parts, but it contributes to an illiteracy in actually understanding the art itself. It's the fantasy that if you can just complete the picture, you will fully understand the piece. In the words of Edmund Burke, "Evil wins when good people do nothing but make wikis about their favourite anti war films".

I am a big time fan of George Lucas' films. I feel like a good deal of the prequels function as criticisms of this culture [the mass of books, fan works and so on even before the invention of wikis for example, and it is also not out of line to predict this behaviour as early as 1999]. The Jedi are so sure of the validity and merit of their information that they refuse to accept the existence of planets missing from their libraries. The Jedi are too busy building a giant, comprehensive in-canon star wars wiki that they stop being actual agents of peace and justice and their entire society collapses. Oops!

So on a certain level I find the idea that it's easy to make the same mistake and start cataloging the different space-fighting-styles instead of interpreting the film and deriving meaning. I'm not even saying there's a particular meaning to find. But actually trying to read a film is a nice first step.

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't really disagree with any of this, I just seem to have even less faith in Wikia Culture than you do. I think the cargo cult mentality of these endeavours was always inevitable, and they could never approach the subjects you'd like them to approach, simply because of the perspective they assume.

That perspective is the objective one, of course, because nerds like logic and reason and facts, and the notion that I can say this work can be read this way, and you can say this work can be read the complete and mutually exclusive opposite way, and we can both be right is anathema. Their mission is not to interpret, but to document. Worse, it won't do simply to collect and collate all of this information about A New Hope, and also all this information about Empire, etc - we are going to write an encyclopedia of Star Wars, and each individual work in this series might take a different approach, or promote a different message, or invite a certain reading, or invoke a certain symbolism or - dare we even contemplate - be shaped by different minds, so none of that will fit. The canon is the only thing that really indisputably links these works (unless there's a retcon, lol). If you start allowing for this mood or this cinematic technique or that director's flair or the clear influence of that prevailing idea you eventually have to confront the notion that all of these things you're trying to link are linked only in name, and that won't do either. Philosophers muse over whether or not one can step in the same river twice; Wikia editors must have nightmares about whether or not you can really "continue" a piece of fiction once published. The more works you add to the canon, and the more mediums that form those works, the worse this gets, because if Star Wars comprises both books and films then how the hell can you assert that anything particular to filmmaking is a part of Star Wars? This thing that is a part of Star Wars can't be a part of Star Wars if it can't be a part of this other thing that's also a part of Star Wars. Illogical. Does not compute. Error. We can't let people pick and choose what parts of Star Wars they want to be talking about at any given moment! The whole idea that Star Wars as a whole can be catalogued is opposed to the cataloguing of any of those things, or any given reading of any given part of Star Wars that might take into account those things. If you want to collect all that, you want a discussion forum, not an encyclopedia (even one that anyone can edit).

The Crying War Kids Wikia will tell you about the bombs that were shown, and about the crying kids that were shown, and about the war that was shown, but it could never tell you what it means to say you were "shown" any of these things, because once you start talking about that you have to get dangerously close to not talking about Crying War Kids anymore, and nobody who runs the Crying War Kids Wikia wants to not be talking about Crying War Kids. It has to be this way.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot believe it was the two hour long cut-and-edited dive into the optional bullshit dungeon that finally sold me on this game's combat system.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Instant Grat posted:

If you beat the game without finding this dungeon, and you decide to do Encore Mode, you don't get the last combat level

Are JRPG designers just allergic to the notion of player-friendliness or

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

• Locked thread