Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like how you've gone from "This combat has 0 depth so why are we even paying attention?" to "We might need to actually do things???"

I look forward to how this spirals downward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm never a fan of moving block puzzles but a moving block puzzle where you can't even see the blocks moving is the worst.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if "Phil" is for "philharmonic."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh hey, I missed an update. Realizing Phil is Philharmonic was good too. And you know, besides finding out what exactly prompts Polka to cliff dive, I think learning all the dumb music names (like Slur) is what I'm really looking forward to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alegretto smothering Beat for more than 4 minutes is incredibly amusing.

Seriously he started at 22:22.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For the life of me I couldn't see the lizard in the blackness. Please someone, I must be able to see it, it's the only mildly entertaining thing that happened in the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That was definitely a swamp level.

You know those multi directional seem pretty useless. The enemy count doesn't ever seem to get high enough for hitting beside or behind you to matter at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seeing the same enemies over and over was already noticeable but now its just ridiculous.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You might have failed the quest that will probably conclude itself in same lame joke for several worth of work?

Oh no!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

does this game have any redeeming qualities

The light/dark thing seems neat if underutilized.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A fan base's collective insanity is directly proportional to the number of pages on its wiki page and if there's a page dedicated to anatomy (Star Trek's wiki also has a page on breasts).

I guess it took a couple dozen hours but an enemy was finally threatening... until you figured out its block timing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

After the final credits we're gonna get one last scene of Claves rolling around on the floor having flashbacks to the last 10 hours of gameplay

Man I remember seeing commercials for this game in like 2007 and thinking it looked really cool. This is what we got? :smith:

Hey, it still looks good, constantly slanted arms aside.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So while looking up "dolce" I'm pretty sure this is the page the localizers used for nearly everything https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_musical_terminology

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best video game characters are always the one who know the value of a good hat. Isn't that right Kaptin Bluddflagg?

Edit: I completely forgot there were any kind of challenges or such. I too may be King of Procrastination (also being asked to do something even vaguely creative in the arts makes me break down and cry uncontrollably) but I can tell you I will at least think about it.

Also I'm a fan of Hbomb :v:

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 1, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've had to look up so many words on Wikipedia thanks to this LP. A salon in the context the educational slideshow probably meant was a "gathering of people under the roof of an inspiring host, held partly to amuse one another and partly to refine the taste and increase the knowledge of the participants through conversation."

So basically really snobby rich people talking to each other and pretending they're making each other smarter.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Did you ever work out your Salsa woes? If you didn't work it out:

TAKE OFF HER SKULL AND BONES OUTFIT FOR GODS SAKE! Read the description - defense boost and STOP. That's why Salsa is freezing in battle

Unfortunately I think this was recorded quite some time ago so you may be annoyed for some time.

Also whichever of you two haven't played the JRPG's you mentioned should definitely try to play them. Nier is practically the definition of a game that manages to be greater than the sum of its parts (outside the music, as mentioned) and while Valkyria Chronicles's characters and story are peak anime the gameplay itself is super-interesting, even if there are a few way to break it completely.

Nice ending by the way :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess the important thing is that Salsa still wears the hat without the shirt equipped.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The secret to an A rank is clearly getting both the monster and Salsa's hat in the same picture.

It amuses me to no end that a C rank photo can get so harsh a response at a merchant and still net more gold than you could get in more than hours of the regular game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"So Alegretto, what have you been up to for this completely unclear amount of time that we've been separated?"

"Oh, we helped some kid grow a plant and explored a spooky graveyard. You?"

"Defeated a pirate queen and her entire crew, stole her hat, totally watched Freddie play some great piano (you really should have seen it!), held high level meetings with the monarch of another nation, almost became his hired assassins, were tasked to deliver a secret message in his stead, then maybe killed the right hand of Count Waltz in a pitched battle."

"Lunch?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I watch Hbomb's videos, I know how much you like to throw or otherwise propel things at his face.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait a second.

Randomly switching party members at seemingly random plot points, narrative missing massive key details and character interactions, combat system excruciatingly introduced over the course of half the game?

I think you're playing Final Fantasy 13.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I'm not going to go back and watch every cutscene but I just want to confirm that Polka "loving" Allegretto literally came out of nowhere right? There has been zero development of that at all - they've even spent half the game separated. I bet everyone else in the party noticed though.

But with that many love stories, and even a triangle, popping up all at once that's a lot of potential character deaths in the future. Who will sacrifice themselves for whom? I'm betting on Falsetto dying for Jazz and then Viola going "Well, hey, as long as you're single again... again..."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Double Plus Undead posted:

Honestly that scene read less like Polka was in love with Allegretto and more like she was having an existential crisis. She has a weird paradox stone that seems to dictate that she has to fall in love with this sewer boy but at no point did she appear to like the idea.

Actually I guess I can see that working. It happened a week before that scene with Viola so Polka could have been acting weird around Allegretto for that long and Viola picked up on it and now I'm thinking way too hard about a JRPG that is plodding even by JRPG standards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Hang on - a giant cauldron with purple smoke emanating from it? OH GOD! It's the DARKDANK GENIE!

I think we all know what's going on with the "magic man."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That is some really awkward body positioning in that hug. Falsetto and Jazz are literally just leaning into each other's left arms. Falsetto probably rolled right off 2 seconds after that cutscene ended.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My mom is a family doctor so I've heard about cancer a lot so I'm glad you got the best kind of cancer.

And drat right I'm sticking around until the end. This whole thing started with a 10 year old leaping to her doom off of Suicide Mountain and, dream or not, I need to see the narrative reasoning behind that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MyNameIsAlex posted:

This game makes me sad in lots of ways, I actually almost like this game conceptually. And I can get behind JRPG nonsense when it's well executed, but it's such a slog to get through. I finished FFXIII but I couldn't get through this even though oh paper this sounds like the kind of silly idea I would enjoy.

So thanks for LPing this Grat and Hbomb just to state my slight curiousity for this strange game.

For a while I only really knew the broad outline of the game so for a while I figured it had at least some aspirations to be a bit more than a typical JRPG. But no, all we get are slideshows and everything else doesn't really matter to that hook at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This has moved far, far beyond the simple "capitalism is bad!" metaphor I expected from the beginning of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think all of the writing effort went into the Chopin History Slideshow because I don't think any went into the villains.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

This game has some really bizarre decisions, period :psyduck: I came into this LP really wanting to give Eternal Sonata the benefit of the doubt but with every video I'm just more and more baffled. Why are these optional boss fights so obscure that nobody would ever know about them, much less find them, without a walkthrough? Why are these characters who barely talk to each other apparently madly in love now? Why is everyone stuck in a halfassed T-pose all the time? Why is the butler, who's had like two lines of dialogue before now, the final boss? Why did anybody think any of this was a good idea?

Soul Cremator is a super cool name for a sword though.

Obscure triggers for hidden bosses/areas is just JRPG's in general. After the intro I was expecting a lot more preaching and I'm honestly disappointed we're not getting it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Okay so the musical names were never that good and maybe I should blame the translators but someone sure ran out of even vaguely creative musical names at the end here. Elegy? Xylophone? Noise? Like, just Noise.

And I'll give you half points for the prediction because "Winter 2017" usually means the end of the year :colbert: At least in North America it does.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So the entire game is set up as Chopin's dying dream and only now we getting to it? Opening cutscene aside I really did want to give this game a chance but nothing is living up to anything I hoped for.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That it's even possible to miss a dragon the size of a house because you were punching between it's legs is hilarious. Even when you were hitting it with Falsetto I'm pretty sure you were still missing with a couple of hits.

Even if I was to give the game that the battle system is mildly interesting it's let down by the enemies who haven't changed in their basic design since the start of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Imagine, if you had never done the optional dungeon I never would have known what the thread title means.

I was half expecting moans of disappointment after Falsetto got the last hit at the last possible moment instead of celebration. "Oh god drat it she won now we have to keep going."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

evangelion_congratulations.gif

So I always knew Eternal Sonata was going to be bad. But all along I was hoping it would have been the trying-to-hard-to-be-deep kind of bad. Basically what happened in the beginning cutscene and at the end but throughout the entire game - MGS via JRPG. That would have been amazing (to watch).

I also cannot believe that someone seriously had Alan Smithee as their voice acting credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like the snail/caterpillar thing was the director wrapping up the project then realizing he didn't put in dialogue outright explaining his entire metaphor so he called in Narrator Guy at 1am to record some dialogue while the intern left at the office did the animation.

Though it's kind of weird how I'm willing to let that pass when compared to the rest of the ending.

• Locked thread