Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
After the final credits we're gonna get one last scene of Claves rolling around on the floor having flashbacks to the last 10 hours of gameplay

Man I remember seeing commercials for this game in like 2007 and thinking it looked really cool. This is what we got? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Kibayasu posted:

Hey, it still looks good, constantly slanted arms aside.

I agree, it's very pretty! And the battle system looks pretty fun, and the soundtrack's not half bad. It's just a shame about everything else. A girl getting stabbed to death and spending her last moments regretting all her life choices shouldn't be hilarious, but here we are

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Replace all the character pages in the Eternal Sonata wiki with Hbomb's drawings and blurbs.

then frame each article in a big thought bubble with a picture of Claves lying at the bottom of the page.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Forgall posted:

I was under impression that you already had entire game recorded, so how does this livestream fit in? Or am I misremembering, and it's a direct continuation of previous update?

They played through the whole game last year but missed an optional boss in the lava cave, so that's what this is.

It was worth it for the echo chamber at the end and Grat's reaction to 'Banjo' :allears:

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I wanted to do some fanart for the LP, so I decided to illustrate Frederic's great piano scene. Here:

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
This game has some really bizarre decisions, period :psyduck: I came into this LP really wanting to give Eternal Sonata the benefit of the doubt but with every video I'm just more and more baffled. Why are these optional boss fights so obscure that nobody would ever know about them, much less find them, without a walkthrough? Why are these characters who barely talk to each other apparently madly in love now? Why is everyone stuck in a halfassed T-pose all the time? Why is the butler, who's had like two lines of dialogue before now, the final boss? Why did anybody think any of this was a good idea?

Soul Cremator is a super cool name for a sword though.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

This certainly was a game. Thanks for playing it so I never have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I was rewatching the first few episodes and I noticed a couple things:

1. Polka takes Chopster out into the forest at night to show him the flowers, and she says they always bloom at exactly 2am. The same time he ends up dying in the real world at the end! It all makes sense! ...Not really, but... that's a consistent detail at least? It's like poetry, it rhymes. At least we finally got to see him play piano.

2. I wanted to make an "Allegretto more like Regretto" joke after the last video but turns out Hbomb made that joke, like, in the third episode. So instead I'll talk about how much I want to Beat Tri-Crescendo over the head with a textbook on how to write a drat coherent story. The plot was never amazing to begin with but that ending was a wet fart. A big, confusing wet fart. And it's not like this is an early or badly-ported JRPG where poo poo's getting lost in translation; every boring or nonsensical thing in this game was a conscious choice by the developers. Tri-Crescendo, what the gently caress?

I do still like some elements of this game. It's very pretty to look at, there are some great themes in the soundtrack, and the battle system seems solid and interesting- even if they didn't end up doing much with the whole light-and-dark thing like I thought they might, I like how the system evolved throughout the chapters to keep you on your toes. There are genuinely good things here! They deserve to be in a game that makes sense!

But that's all in the past now. We did it, we survived the nightmare. Happy second anniversary, Eternal Sonata thread :toot: Thanks Grat and Hbomb for seeing this whole thing through, you made this silly game watchable. To celebrate, here is some fanart for real this time:

see you in hell

• Locked thread