Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

OmanyteJackson posted:

this is good punmanship, everyone take note.

Just a quarter note.

For those who don't know, a PS3 port of Eternal Sonata was released about a year after the 360 one. Along with extra dungeons, it attempted to 'fix' the plot and made minor changes to dialogue, added scenes (an extra 2 minutes on that intro) It doesn't really help, but I ended up enjoying this silly anime game anyways.

I'll try to comment on any interesting differences that actually happen. The stuff added here is technically important, but the game will harp on it multiple times later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yup, less EXP in battles, they're generally tougher, you learn the better skills later in some cases, and pictures are harder to take well and sell for a lot less.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dareon posted:

Another 2 minutes of telling, not showing? :psypop:

Seriously, everything up to the actual entrance of Polka and Mother Polka could have been covered in a 20-second pan where the things being described were happening.

To be fair, 100% of what was added isn't in the stupid dialogue between Polka and Solfege (the mother). It vaguely puts some of the nonsense into perspective, but only very slightly.

I'll see if I can record the differences, but it's slightly spoiler-y if you really think about why they were added to the PS3 port.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please give me the spoilers for the terrible JRPG video game. Thank you.
Well I've never done New Game Plus before...

Eternal Sonata PS3 differences - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2RSv_OCBM

A few things:
You won't be seeing that old lady again for about... 20 hours?
I kept part of the scene at the end to show where it connects back to the 360 version and to show off that Polka, Beat and Allegretto get the ability to change outfits in the PS3 version. She'll still be in her normal dress your first time through though.
Emilia is 14. Polka is also 14. Get the picture?

Something I can't use if I'm recording cutscenes:

Fun trivia, the average age of the party members in this game is 19, 20 in the PS3 version. Not counting anyone 8 years old, that average is 24. It's probably on the higher end for a JRPG cast.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh boy, you're in for a thing. If I recall correctly, NG+ multiples all enemy stats by 1.5, and the only thing you get to carry over is the Party Level, which you can now set manually instead of it being based on story progress. It was a pretty tough challenge in the 360 version; I can't imagine how annoying it must be in the PS3 version that already has buffed enemy stats.

I've already forgotten button placement randomizes on Harmony Chains on Party Level 6. This is going to be horrible. You screw up blocking one attack and you die, pretty much right now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Don't even bother taking a counter on how often the game lectures you, or talks about people in general.

Trying to keep ahead of the videos for my PS3 replay, but I don't think there are many New Game Plus or PS3 differences any time soon. The only thing I noticed is the English PS3 version has a french subtitle track that changes Beat's name to Piccolo.

On the gameplay side, I actually like the idea of what they do with the battle system and gradual changes. It's one of the things I think the game does pretty well. The gameplay system at the very beginning is pretty bare, but stuff like unit positioning and facing at the end of a turn actually become pretty important even at this stage (as the next boss coming up on New Game Plus can one shot you if you miss a guard, and is occasionally smart enough to run around you).

The game really doesn't explain photography or how Beat and Viola can attack at range well. A lot of the info tends to be hidden in towns on random signs, NPCs or objects for a lot of non vital game mechanics. I can expand on this later if you don't notice or skip over the mechanics later.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 17, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
With a Chapter over, it's a good time as any to talk about the differences in the PS3 version once again!

~~

Chapter 2 (PS3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrHZQ3otMU
So, the three scenes in this video:

The first takes place right as you enter Fort Fermata, same as the 360 version. Except, instead of monologuing his concerns about dreams and reality he just flat out tells everyone hey, I think you're in my dream. Then Polka gets angry at Allegretto. This conversation is even stupider when it's not all in his head. (I also forgot this scene was different in the 360 version and had to reupload it).

The second scene I added because both you and the designers realized the lead up to the mineral powder conversation came out of nowhere.

The last one is actually the second Attract Mode that can play on the PS3 version. It crams in another moment for Allegretto and Polka, but it also shows the terrible loss of Salsa's hat to the waves. Will they be reunited?

The least important addition that I stuck in a separate video is another song. The piano you examined in Forte will play Mazurka in B Minor (Opus. 33 No. 4). No powerpoint or anything. Just the song. It's... pretty nice, I guess? I have no idea why they thought they needed to add it. Incidentally, Mazurka is Falsetto's French name.

The trading quest is dumb.

You've also stumbled in and out of the game long trading quest. Following the quest to this point would get you a second pair of Speed Shoes so you would have a spare to trade for the Basket. Equipped in battle it increases in battle movement speed, which can be pretty helpful with Viola with her damage being proportional to distance, and I don't think any other items in game have this effect. It's good at this point at least since there isn't really any competition for accessory slots.

~~

Also, Tuba is ridiculous in Encore. Any unguarded attack will kill you, and guarded ones can still take off 1/2 the health off Salsa or Beat.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'll go with a longer single update.

This reminds me I need to catch up gameplay wise.

• Locked thread