Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013
This is a bad game with a dumb story and a really simple combat system with about 2 or 3 gimmicks to it. The best bits of the story are completely irrelevant tangents and I can thinkg of one event in the actual story that I thought was good. It's a bit of a shame because both the gameplay and story have real potential that sound great on paper, but the game doesn't deliver.
I do genuinely like some of the character design, anime notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Gensuki posted:

So about the koala dragon butterfly shark.

When you beat it you got two levels? I think you might have been underleveled for that part of the game...

Both were 55 exp from leveling up in an area where most individual monsters give 25 exp (shadow onions giving 65). The boss gave 1500. The one or two extra fights to tip the level might've helped, but it probably would've just saved a peach cookie or two

I honestly think the school presentations are some of the better pieces of narrative from the game. It helps that it's completely irrelevant to the plot of the game and really is just historical tidbits of freddy chopper.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Viola ended up being my favorite character to play as, since she just does a poo poo ton of damage out far for free and is also really good up close. She at least has a bit more variety than "Mash A, then maybe Y at the end if I have enough Echoes."

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The damage boost Viola gets by walking two steps back is so absurd, after a bit I realized it's usually better to just run her to the edge of the map before shooting because it's just stronger, faster, more efficient damage. Hell, enemies will never get closer to her since they'll be targeting the other two, closer party members, so once you're set, you're set for the fight.
Claves suck.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The Score/Sessions thing is cute, but it's literally just rubbing two pieces of music together to see what the game characters thinks is good. The fact that there may be prizes for multiple combinations means you can't even just ignore scores after using them once. You're better off just looking at a guide to see what's worth bothering with.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Monster Hunter is a game that is about 10% farming for resources and 90% fighting Giant Final Boss Fights.

One problem, is that that farming is front-loaded, so you start the game by doing boring chores. And it's a dozens-to-hundreds of hours long game, so that first 10% may actually hours long. This has been relieved somewhat, since there's free DLC that just gives you a ton of resources, but the game still starts off by doing some menial quests before reaching the meat of the game.
It's also really easy to trick yourself into doing a lot of the early quests early, even when there's no real reward for doing them, instead of moving on to harder quests with actual rewards.

Hunts in the game can take anywhere between 10 to 40 minutes. It's a pretty significant time investment. There is pretty active online co-op that speeds things up a lot, even with randos.

Eternal Sonata continues to not do anything. We're reaching my favorite point in the game, though. Aside from it being over.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
It's a bit of a shame (but completely justified because the dungeon is loving garbage) that you skipped the score pieces. I'd have liked to see the reaction to this, coming out of nowhere.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The one bit of the story that I thought was "good" that I alluded to literally two years ago, was Chopping finally coming to terms with the fact that he's dying and just going "gently caress it" and actually doing something. 'cause the only part of the plot that I was remotely interested in was how the dying man would handle his death. It even has the tiny suggestion of progression, with the world collapsing and him trying to reason something out of it.
and then that gets ruined by everything else that immediately follows. So much for that! At least there was a good Tower of Druaga reference.

The fight isn't hard even if you haven't done the bonus dungeon. And that "Grande Finale" cheevo for beating the game with "all characters remaining" just means you got Claves.

Thank you for going through this %27Nightmare. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for the LP. One question though: does the PS3 version do the ending any differently?

I just watched the PS3 ending (having not watched any other PS3 cutscenes) and it's changed quite a lot. The structure is the same (fight chopin, polka jumps off a cliff, floats back up etc), but there's a lot of changed and added dialogue. For example, Polka recognizes that the final room is "the flower field in Tenuto", somehow. Also, the most bafflingly stupid thing that's so stupid I'm going to spoiler tag it since it's not in the 360 version at all and is tacked on at the very end (after the credits and Fin, before the snail); Chopin wakes up in bed in the real world. He's not actually dead? Not actually sure if it's any better or less confusing, since apparently there were a lot changed throughout the game, but hell if I'm watching all of Eternal Sonata again.

• Locked thread