Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

*disabled antivirus

Disabled AV on the computer or server?

What's the AV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Just on the server.

Does this POS software link into the server itself or are they local databases?

Does the software need to communicate outside as well in real time or is it mainly just going from a local computer to the server? If it's going outside to the internet itself frequently the router firewall could be an issue.

Nierbo posted:

Maybe nod32. I will check on Monday. The boss swears that he added the Retail Pro folders to the anti viruses ignore list and then even turned it off as a test and no improvement but I guess we could try uninstalling it too. If it was the AV causing problems would the CPU load be a lot higher?

Yea, it's not just a matter of putting folders on a whitelist/ignore list. Depending on what it is it might be interfering in other ways. Uninstalling it fully and rebooting is the only way to be sure.

The AV probably won't put much stress on that machine no matter what it's doing if you have dual 8core CPU.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nierbo posted:

I was also thinking maybe add the client IPs to the routers DMZ? Or does that pose a security risk? I don't want to destroy this whole system as he had a cryptlocker a few years ago and doesn't want to go through all that again.

The router is between the ISP and the server right? I don't think that'd have any bearing on the POS software as you said it didn't need the internet.

Nierbo posted:

If this uninstalling AV thing doesnt work, are we getting close to the point where we just shrug and say its the POS software being a jerk?

If it's the only thing having an issue it's a good bet that something isn't right with the software (or some kind of issue between the software and the OS). What's the exact server OS? Making sure it's fully updated is important.

Nierbo posted:

Thankyou both for the help by the way. Zogo I swear you deserve 6 figures for the amount of help you give on these forums.

If I got that that would be :waycool:

• Locked thread