Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Personally I take them to the vet if they have an acute problem that lasts 24+ hours or if it's something I would go to a doctor about if it were happening to me. For example if they're pukey I won't call the vet on the first puke but if they're puking for 24 hours then it's vet time. However if they're simultaneously puking and making GBS threads and looking terrible they go to the vet ASAP. For other not super urgent stuff if it's obviously bothering them I bring them in whenever fits in my schedule, like when one of mine had an old scar that suddenly got super itchy and he was clearly not happy about it so I took him in to see what I could do to help his itchiness.

If your dog's stomach is just looking bigger I'd try a diet plus more exercise first and if there's no change after a few weeks then I'd ask a vet. If he's acting otherwise normal I wouldn't worry about it.

My dogs both get a full checkup when they get their annual vaccines, and one of them goes in monthly for arthritis injections so if something questionable but not urgent pops up (like his itchy scar) I just wait till his next injection appointment to ask about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Unagi posted:

You can generally call your vets office and ask too. If the desk staff sucks just ask to speak with a tech or someone more knowledgeable. Typically they will ask how long the symptom has been going and how severe the change is.

Every time I've tried this they always tell me to bring him in regardless of the severity of the issue just from a covering their asses point of view, because there's always the chance it could actually be something really bad and if the vet tells someone to not bring their dog in and then it dies they're possibly liable for it and could get sued.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Often the best way to get a pet to immediately start feeling better is to make them a vet appointment. My dog was having entirely liquid shits for three days so I made him an appointment and when I let him out before I took him to his appointment he miraculously had a normal solid poo poo so I had to call the vet and be like "uh nevermind..."

• Locked thread