Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

I'm on the same page as Aquatic. If it's something I would take myself to the doctor for, then we go. If it's a small symptom or hasn't been ongoing - don't worry too much. Outside of a check-up every 2 years (most vets I've had recommend yearly, but my animals are adult aged and have no ongoing health issues to keep track of). But as they enter their senior years I'll likely step it up to yearly.

I pack up to the vet if there is: multiple vomits in a 24-hour period, limping or swelling that doesn't go away in a few hours, pain (that they won't let me touch it), extreme changes in behaviour (aggression, lethargic, hiding, etc), obvious breathing issues, or obvious injury like laceration of some kind.

You can generally call your vets office and ask too. If the desk staff sucks just ask to speak with a tech or someone more knowledgeable. Typically they will ask how long the symptom has been going and how severe the change is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Khizan posted:

I can sort of understand that. For me it's like a car. When my car is making a funny noise, I call my mechanic. They ask what's wrong and I'm like "Um. It's making a weird noise. Sort of a squeaky squeally noise? Kind of like *makes awkward squeaky sound*?" and then they're like "Just come in and let me listen to it" because I obviously have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about and "something ain't quite right" isn't really diagnostic material.

Something like "My dog's stomach is a little bigger, maybe it might be swollen or maybe she's just a little fatter...?" seems like it would be the same kind of deal.

Pretty much this.

If it's not something your vet already knows about, and it's been going on for more than 24/48 hours - it's worth the trip.

If it's a chronic issue your vet already knows about, call and see what they recommend you keep an eye out for. If it's an acute symptom that doesn't go away quickly (24/48 hours) then take them in.

• Locked thread