Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I have 5 dogs (3 pets, 2 working) and I also have a lot of livestock, which, like Instant Jellyfish said, means you learn to triage things and you eventually get real clear on what needs a vet appointment and what just needs watching. My newest LGD puppy came with a host of skin issues and is always at the vet. loving always. Forever. I have some other dogs who haven't been to the vet in years for anything but vaccines. One of my pet dogs gets horrible diarrhea if he looks at any food other than one type of kibble. That's normal for him, I just watch and would only take him to the vet if it persisted for a long time or if he also became lethargic/started vomiting/etc. One of my other pet dogs has weird personality quirks that would look like health issues if I didn't know he was just a huge shitlord. He goes to the vet if he stops eating and that's about it, otherwise the "lethargy" is just him being a poo poo and sulking over insert-idiot-baby-issue-here. One of my dogs won't eat if he hears the sound of metal touching metal. Seriously. I vetted the poo poo out of one of my dogs years ago because he stopped eating before realizing that the sound of his tags touching his food bowl was VERY PROBLEMATIC to him and removed them. I have a goat who will stop eating if I don't milk her in the exact method she finds appealing. I have a pig who will lay in a pile and wait to die if he doesn't have access to one of my dogs who is his BFF. Etc etc, you learn what's normal for your animals and their idiosyncrasies and vet accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread