Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My friend with the stupid fast Volvo and (now) Megasquirted 4runner lives on the other side of the 51 from you.

E: I don't know poo poo about acvws so I'm no help, but gas diluted oil could have worked it's way past the rings and seals into your exhaust/combustion chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
On z cars, there is a piece in the booster called a reaction disc. When it fails or falls off, it causes what you said: no brakes then all the brakes (no modulation). Dunno if your bus has anything like that.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I've heard of gears in vdo stuff become anything from goo to dust.

On your 3D printed thing, I thought most 3D printed stuff was not underhood temp rated? Doesn't that stuff melt at 240F or so?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

That's awesome! What kind of dimensional tolerance can you hit?

Would you be interested in printing out a few small pieces for me?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Even though printer manufacturers claim otherwise, I like to think of it as a .1mm three dimensional grid. I mean, I printed some m10x1.25 threading that worked fine, but anything smaller and I like to run a tap through it.

Shoot me the files (either PM a link or to klintor unt gmail) and I'll see what they print up to.

Cool. I have to modify it because I designed it with machining in mind. It's just a little adapter for a hall effect sensor. The sensor is rated to 240F so it should fail before the printed part.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

A good way to set up the welder is to run it hotter than you think on a piece of flat steel. If it doesn't burn through, play with the wire speed til you have a nice sizzle. If it does, go down on the heat and start again.
The nozzle needs to be about .250" or maybe a little less from the work piece, and the distance has a huge effect on the weld.

Once it has a nice sizzle, if you run a bead on a flat piece, the flux should fall right off with minimum brushing. If you run it nice and hot, it will sometimes curl up on its own. If you run hot but move to fast, you see an undercut on each side of the bead. Slow down to get it to fill nicely. Too slow and the bead will be too big. Too cold and the bead will look like it's laying on top of the metal.

You want to run the hottest you can for maximum penetration, but it has the most risk for blowing through or warping the part. Do not attempt body repair without gas. Seriously don't.

Edges melt faster, that edge to edge weld you did looks cold, but will likely melt away too fast if you run the settings as if you were doing a flat weld. Ts take the most heat, and the slowest movement to fill correctly.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You should post the screen shots of the worst ones in your thread at the Samba.

Also, is that closed cell foam? I hope it's rates for the heat too. I'd keep an eye on it, it would suck if it started melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I think TBI unit would be better since the early ones run on 15psi of pressure, so all he'd need is a new pump and regulator (plus an adapter plate).

• Locked thread