Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'll be curious to see how well that door handle holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Guys!

You can take electricity

gently caress around with it a bit

And eventually stick metal together with it!

This changes everything.

My kingdom for some shield gas!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That old box is awesome. It looks like you pulled it out of an aircraft.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

MIDNIGHT UPDATE

I'm pretty sure the leak was coming from (don't shoot me, 14 inch, I know this is basic stuff) the valve cover. I took the valve cover off again for the dozenth time and slapped (another) new gasket on there, but when I put it on I accidentally put it on upside-down. Now, upside-down shouldn't matter, but from the factory they came with the VW logo on the cover itself upside-down, and I put the cover on with the logo rightside-up. Then, while idling the engine yet again to get it hot and check for oil leaks with some tins removed, I noticed oil-smoke coming from the top-middle of the driver's side valve cover in puffs along with engine RPM. This means that there is some deformity or leak in the cover, and previously it was on the bottom side where the oil pools. The bottom rim of the valve cover is hidden by the heater box, and with the way air flows all around the engine, it never appeared to be leaking from one solid spot and instead was flung all over. I think that's fair. Plus, the valve cover is so basic of an issue that I thought it was "beneath me." I mean, I've already replaced the gaskets what else could go wrong it obviously must be something super complicated like the head to barrel joint, right? Occam's razor I guess.

So, even more gaskets are on order, and I think I got a fair price on some used valve covers:

Some sanding and paint will make them look nice again, and at least one of them has to be straighter than the one I have.

PS: when searching for beetle or bus parts, a dangerously common misspelling to search for is "bettle." Don't know why, but that's how I got my thermostat for $20 instead of the minimum $48 that others are selling for.

You're located in Arizona, right? I'd be curious to try machining the bent valve cover, but I'm in Chicago (also there's a fair chance I'd destroy it).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hm, maybe not. In my mind, you were talking about something more substantial that was warped.

Also, once you have a Bridgeport, everything looks like something that needs milling.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some TiteBond and clamps (or titebond and an 18ga nailer) will hide a number of sins.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh I freaking love Posi-Lock / Posi-Seal connectors. Do you find them on Amazon?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Could you just trick it into pulsing the injector 1/4 as often?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Are you worried at all about the PLA shattering, especially with the bolt holes as close to the edge as they are?

e. Also, holy hell, that Matrix!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I have too many cattes. Need to bring this one to a no-kill shelter once he's up and about.

I take it this is no longer the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I would save up for the FireBlock-style foam

The only difference between Great Stuff and Fire-block Great Stuff is the latter is bright orange and easier for a building inspector to see when he or she is verifying that it's been installed in holes in the fireblocking. You're fine using the regular stuff in your van.

• Locked thread