Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I enjoyed reading your blog very much and I hope this van is exactly what you wanted.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find a welder who can patch up that little amount of rust for pretty cheap, especially in Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What'd you use for new track grease? Shin-Etsu is the daddy if you can get it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh dude, gently caress that poo poo. Shin-Etsu is designed for sliding doors on Odysseys and poo poo, and it works great.

Put it on, shame your German car a little bit with perfect Japanese lubrication.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Door cards look pretty cool, but I have to admit I'd be tempted to throw a little colour into the interior with them. Probably why I'm not an interior decorator.

Did all the mould come from the holes in the window frame?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen a few homebrewed rigs to melt down plastic and turn it into filament but I'm going to guess that with the risk of contamination it's probably a better idea to just buy new filament in the long run. :(

Vents look awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was gonna comment on the blog but can't remember the magic combination of logins I did to get it to work last time.

You could probably build some kind of shim that would compensate for the oversized hole in the door, or worst case just nail a scrap of plywood there to shore it up.

Looks good. I would make version two like a smokey translucent charcoal grey plastic and use it as an accent instead of an eyecatcher.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Having some fun at work.

Patients are stabilized on scene but die of old age in transport.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I would kill for a car that came with cupholders sized perfectly for a Nalgene. I have one of those in my car 365 days a year, sodas/fast food cups/beers/anything else 0 days a year.

Why don't you just get one of those spring-loaded brackets for a fire extinguisher or some poo poo and bolt it to the door?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You guys don't understand, this random Volkswagen is the most essential historical artifact of our time and it must be recreated exactly as it was made.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll buy you a can of Duplicolor Effex you can spray on it after you sandblast off the Superior Reich Chrome in order to paint it hot pink.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can you use the bus carb on the Beetle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You still have a Tamagotchi?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If e85 helps I wonder how much a meth injection kit and a windshield washer reservoir full of homebrewed boost juice would help the idle CO2.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A wideband O2 sensor with narrowband O2 emulation is probably a pretty good idea for carb tuning anyway, I would imagine.

Data is good, unless you're an old dude on an air-cooled Volkswagen forum misreading a carburetor parts diagram, then anecdotes are good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I bet it'll look a lot nicer if you just take all the poo poo piled inside it out.

Does it roll?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hard to see in the pictures but that white cover over the inverter is gonna rattle like crazy without being isolated from the frame. I don't think it even fits flush.

Shove some o-rings under the screws and I bet it'll be fine though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm debating keeping my old dishwasher for just this sort of shenanigans when I put the kitchen back together...

... place your bets: How long will a dishwasher filled with acetone (or diesel fuel, or kerosene) survive before all the seals, hoses, and assorted plastic bits turn into goo?

Parts washer solution should stretch it out a little longer. If you set up a drain and filter system you could probably collect and recover some of it too, like a commercial parts washer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, 14 INCH was right about Pertronixes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
When the battery catches fire does it change to a frowny face?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Subaru cam and crank wheels can be a little eccentric depending on generation so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to replace them with a 36-2-2-2 or a junkyard option like Ford EDIS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's a VW aircooled engine, you could probably get away with just using a GM TBI system on the throttle body if you could find a suitable adapter and/or shorty intake manifold.

Then all your sensors and poo poo are just junkyard pulls from exceptionally cheap cars and the wiring is even simpler than the Subaru setup.

You're not making anything resembling power and you won't have to alter the heads that way.

Since the objective is to get rid of carb synch you could probably just maintain the existing ignition system too. I think the TBI coil gives the ECU its position signal but you can probably make it work.

Pretty simple stuff (5 sensors), and you could find a cheaper setup than this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection-Wiring-Harness-TBI-Harness-W-ECM-SBC-TBI-ENGINE-SWAP-/221943833801

Some stuff from VW people who know more:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111269

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 30, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If memory serves, the last time I was looking into this there was a 1.8L GM engine that had a later edition of TBI and very teensy injectors and throttle body.

I'd probably yank everything off of an Iron Duke S10 since that's widely junkyardable, and once the concept is proven, move on from there.

The real problem is remapping the ECU but I know there are some GM TBI ECUs that can be chipped.

edit: Naturally someone on GRM has considered it: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gm-25-iron-duke-tbi-swap/63398/page1/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 30, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you're going slow enough that a VW Bus can run you off the road just pull to the shoulder and surrender your driver's license to the arriving authorities.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man if I could call myself the Soup Nazi of Carburetors I would have that embossed in lurid script on the back of a boxing jacket and wear that to work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good on you for saving that kitten!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

I still don't have a name for the kitten. I was thinking Beetle, because I found him under my beetle. But the SO says that any name will get shortened, and Beetle would become Beets (like Legolas became Lego in everyday talk). I don't like beets, so maybe I don't like Beetle. Bebop? Then we could call him Bee. I dunno. Suggestions, people!

Muir.

There was a cat locally that got found in an engine bay of a truck heading into town. I suggested they call it Idler.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 25, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should probably get him checked out for FIV and stuff before he interacts with your other cats, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's amazing how cute murder can be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Where is the oil pressure being measured from right now?

I've seen some guys introduce restrictions into oil flow to try and raise pressure, but that seems like a hackjob that will bite you in the rear end eventually.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What did the vet have to say about him?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I'm pleased to share that I chose this weekend to be in San Diego instead of Phoenix. I think it's supposed to get up to a blistering 73 today.

:v:

That's already too hot :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All the single-slammer Foresters up to a certain age also have the same faulty head gaskets, but at least with an SOHC the leak is external rather than internal so you'll just top up coolant once every few months like I do while I wait for divine motivation to pull the engine and replace them (along with Delta torque grind cams and a head decking).

A lot of them get bad raps because some dipshit back-country mechanic just farts a new parts-store head gasket onto it without even cleaning the mating surface.

Get the Forester.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, if you had a '97 Outback it was almost certainly an EJ25D.

98 Foresters (first year) are DOHC, 99+ SOHC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This thread is like watching my own Honda experience, but in a slightly larger scale (also you got poo poo done way faster than I did).

Congratulations on also having a PO who used every part of the buffalo. My car had four different tires with four different date codes and two of them were cupped so badly they won't stand up on their own or even stack.

My PO's crowning achievement was removing the reverse bulbs because the reverse switch had somehow become inverted from its normal behaviour (neutral/1st-5th: reverse light on, reverse: reverse light off).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In the general case Hondas seem to be built by people who think they are very clever, unlike Subarus which are built by the laziest motherfuckers on the planet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

driguy posted:

Too bad that most of the time PO maintenance on a Honda is also done by the laziest motherfuckers on the planet.

My guy put forward the effort to replace an alternator twice but never replaced the alternator belt.

They included (and bragged about) a "spare tire" which turned out to be a corded bald tire without a wheel stuck into the spare tire well beneath water-damaged cardboard.

They had two brand new financed $50k+ Kia Sedona minivans so they could take their 19 year old son to guitar practice.

I didn't put my address on their copy of the bill of sale.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 4, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Spark plug non foulers are the triggerless assault rifle "kit" of the automotive world.

I love both of them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Who did the rebuild? I assume ACVW motors are like Subaru motors where J. Random Dickhole will just make them worse after they split the case.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's an impressive hack. Voting for field expedient fix to make the wife happy, then forgot about it immediately afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cool Matchbox Porsche! When I was a kid I found a toy car in the floor vent of my parents' house that must have been left by the previous owner.

I wish I remembered what kind of car it was now.

• Locked thread