Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, TheSamba is a terrible forum and I'm already getting PMs and replies telling me how I'm terrible and why don't I own <insert special tool> to polish the oil cooler flange to a mirror finish because if it isn't PERFECT the oil WILL LEAK OUT LISTEN TO US OLD TIMERS YOU'RE A KID AND YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN YOU DON'T KNOW THESE ARE SPECIAL VEHICLES

So, I'm just going to stop updating there and delete my poo poo from there probably. I'm all for help and criticism, but it's got to be constructive, not "you're doing it wrong I would think before you posted more updates like this" PMs.

Yeah, the surface finish was atrocious, lots of leak paths. If the goop works it'll probably have a few leaks sometime/years down the road. That being said they are straight up douchebags for acting like that, a public forum should be just that, a Forum. If it's bad it could be fixed with a file and some new seals. Who knows, you posting your experiences might actually help the "poor, impressionable readers" that they are so trying to protect. That being said, they are just old car men, they are used to a different culture and they freely express opinions like that at every opportunity in a bizarrely personal manner. It's the same way on the Corvair forums and several other places the old hands congregate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Here you go getting me reading engine rebuild threads for an engine I will never use.

Edit: These Samba fucks are intolerable. Lots of angry shouting of opinions with no backing, cults of personality, the whole shebang.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 19, 2015

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well, it looks like case studs can weep and leak. I'm not sure if the cylinder head studs are through or blind on your engine, I guess they can leak on the 1600DP. Might check there along with base gaskets. Wait, reread your post and it wasn't cylinder jug base gaskets you suspected, whoops!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Oh man, $35 for an engine tin perimeter seal. Those bastards go for like $110 on a Corvair.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

So the guy offering to do the video with the wideband in the loop is offering to show his 30 pict 3. What is its country of origin, and how does its piping relate to your 34 pict 3? Can you get him to run it all the way in and out? You might get a curve out of it.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well, that escalated quickly.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

kastein posted:

Wow, that's a new level of douchebaggery. Most brand specific forums I'm on will only ban you, not delete everything you ever said.

Have you considered an EFI swap...? I'm kinda curious what it'd take to put EFI on an ACVW now. I bet megasquirt could do it, leaving you with the problem of making manifolds and injector rails.

If I were going that direction, I'd probably fit up a manifold for one of these guys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291585987006?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Some models have flanges, even, instead of those joints meant for hoses. One throttle butterfly, and TBI. Pretty simple. And I've seen complete units for the $90 range.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

They are really finicky about minimum operating voltage, and subsequently are very sensitive to bad grounds or old supply side wiring. I also hear that some of them suffer from damage when the key is left in run but the engine is not rotating, like burning up a set of points.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

What about something like this: http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/rv-trailer-air-conditioning-and-heating.html
I have seen them mounted internally in teardrop trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Hey, whats making your toolpaths / gcode there? Looks pretty fun.

• Locked thread