Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:psyduck: Rolling superfund site indeed. I think you top me/my-then-future-wife flying to Hollywood and driving an Opel GT back to Phoenix, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

driguy posted:

I feel for you working out in the sun on this beast though.

Especially because even by Phoenix standards it's been stupid loving hot lately. We had a few days in a row where the low was over 90.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm sticking around for 3d printed stuff and because old VW busses are awesome. Don't worry about the slow progress, it's faster than all of my projects.

I was going to say the same thing, your bus is currently moving faster than my C10 :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doesn't Autozone rent out separators?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it does continue to leak, how much of a pain would it be to convert it to any of the generic coolers out there that manage not to leak without *special tool here*? Rubber lines / clamps, AN fittings, whatever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

We saw him on the drive over:

Ironwood? I love/hate that stretch of road, everyone drives so loving fast but there's really no room for it. If/when they ever run an alternate freeway from metro Phoenix down towards Coolidge / Florence / Tucson, they need to just upgrade Ironwood for the first part of it.

Gotta love an engine that will take all of that and keep on going, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I upgraded the fluid catch reservoir on my vacuum pump. This is an old 3L suction canister from one of our ambulances. We threw all of these away in favor of disposable ones (you'd put a bag inside these then just throw the bag away). It holds an entire bleeding session's worth of brake fluid. Why let a good plexi can go to waste? Even has a built-in gauge.

If I hadn't already replaced the lovely Mityvac thing I ran over with the C10, I'd totally go for one of those. That canister looks awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

What's the elevation where you're at? And they didn't happen to mention NOx readings, did they?

Around 1500 feet for the vast majority of the metro Phoenix area. They don't give you a NOx reading on old stuff that doesn't get tested for it, even though it's the same machine they use for later vehicles that do get tested for it.

Fo3 posted:

I suppose none of this matters since you are failing load test, not idle test, but wow.

Huh? He's failing idle, not loaded.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My only worry with those connectors would be vibration resistance - aren't they meant for house wiring?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Does kevbarlas still have the camper van rotisserie for sale?

I think round-the-world shipping might cut into the savings a bit :v:

Geirskogul: I've had the best luck with some Ace Hardware locations as far as being able to actually cut the key, instead of relying entirely on the automated setups.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, would it really increase the odds of a VW catching fire?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why buy a compressor? Rent it from Autozone for free (they hold a deposit and refund 100% of it when you bring it back).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not even BAP or Autohaus?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:corsair: spotted

Alternatively, the Bus was "running people off the road" because it was trying to avoid breaking down in the travel lanes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With the right stuff, I've only ever used it as a gasket. Worked great as a full on replacement for the notoriously fickle front / rear intake manifold seals on a SBC, and those are normally fairly thick rubber.

The only time it sucks is removing it - it holds on hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It does to a limited extent because your sweat actually evaporates eventually, but... yeah it's loving hot. Made sure to hammer out my yard work so it was all done by 10AM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the 8.8s are reasonably valuable to anyone looking for a stronger rear-end, not just Jeep guys. I think they're a good bit lighter (and definitely cheaper) than a Ford 9" but they're way stronger than a Dana 35 or a GM 10-bolt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Give it an hour, someone will offer you a dog.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This sounds like the exact poo poo I went through trying to unload my barely-passed-emissions Volvo, or my sister's slipping transmission Saturn. Below $500 people get loving stupid in new and amazingly (painful) ways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's like there's a group of people out there who insist on being as obnoxious as possible in the hopes of wearing you down to free. I think this is somehow better than assuming that the general populace is really that illiterate and/or constantly begging for a free shitbox car.

The only time selling a cheap car on Craigslist wasn't painful was selling my sister in law's Volvo 240. Oddly, people will trip over each other to get a Volvo that hasn't been registered in two years, even though it was rougher than mine all around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Wahey! Passed emissions, and registered. 99% betting it was the valves needing adjustment. That means the exhaust valves have been tight since 2011, and for at least 32k miles :stonk:.

Love AZ OBDII emissions tests, so easy and no bullshit.

The ATF-Z1 has been superceded by ATF-DW1. If you actually find any ATF-Z1 on the shelf, it's ancient. I'm pretty sure the only stuff with an actual Z1 or DW1 label on it is Honda OE fluid, since they don't license the spec out like Dexron / Mercon / ATF+4. It's not too bad if you get it by the case on eBay, which you should probably do since the recommended method is doing at least three changes in short order. My '13 CRV went right at three quarts per change.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For sale, one CRV. Timing belt just replaced*

*by someone not even qualified to build something out of Duplo.

Jesus, that's a pain in the dick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Right on the line for idle, drat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, and that problem is using red instead of The Right Stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Corinth is known for its leather!

I kinda want to put proper leather covers on both my WJ and CR-V. The WJ is leather from the factory but it's got a lot of little nicks and scratches. CR-V has plastic, though a used factory EX wheel might be a better choice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love/hate that stretch of road. Traffic is always quick so it's easy to get through it, but the road really isn't designed for the speeds people hit anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lookin' drat good. :clint:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Yea, I am completely unfamiliar with the area so I went with what Google told me to do. Holy poo poo the traffic was terrible, and it didn't help that about half the route seemed to be under construction.

That area has been "under construction" for as long as I can remember, and Google is hilariously bad at estimating travel times through it. When getting from my place to my grandma's place near Florence, it gives me three routes of wildly different distances but similar ETAs. One is all the way east to Florence Junction, one is way west down to Country Club / 87, and one is blasting down Ironwood followed by snaking through San Tan Valley. All things equal, the Ironwood route is usually 5-10m faster. I still avoid it because of my previous statements on Ironwood, as well as the snaking around being annoying. Florence Junction is a lot more miles but it's truly "highway".

About half of the possible routes of that N/S corridor would actually run straight through farmland owned by a few different members of my family. While I'd love to be able to drive down to them more quickly, I'm not so sure how much they'll like having to give up the land.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if red loctite isn't doing the job, time to look elsewhere for the cause.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You moved to the wrong boondocks, man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I learned this a long time ago. Oftentimes the initial price on Rockauto is cheaper than Amazon, but once you add in shipping, it's either a wash or Amazon is cheaper, and Amazon can usually get it to you a lot faster. Then I'll cross-shop against Advance Auto Parts, since I have 2 locations within 15 minutes of me, and there's always at least a 25% off coupon online. And you can often stack coupons.

The Wholesaler Closeouts on Rockauto can't really be beat though.

I've actually had some Rockauto shipments effectively go overnight when they come from a local warehouse. Only problem is I never know which warehouse it's coming from.

Rockauto ends up cheaper as long as what you need comes from one warehouse. Once you start eating multiple shipping fees, the savings vs Amazon go away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A 4.9L man-tran OBDII F150 is the only cheap truck I would've rather had than my Ranger, but they're rare as hell. Unless the thing is utter poo poo, sounds like a deal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, for me at least. After dealing with trying to get my Volvo through emissions, a car had better be drat awesome for me to buy anything pre-OBDII again. You can know for sure before you go whether or not it will pass, and you can diagnose it more easily.

Of course old Fords are picky with the cloned ELM327s out there, but still better than OBDI or non-OBD.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Still no buyer for the beetle.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Buyer for the bus! $3k on Saturday.

Keeping the Beetle now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's just a one-piece shaft with a slip yoke on the transmission side, yeah? Literally just four bolts at the axle end to remove the straps, then shove the whole driveshaft towards the transmission to unseat it from the axle. Wrap the whole U-joint in electrical tape to keep the two free caps from flying off, then angle it clear of the axle and just pull it back out. Probably want to have a pan underneath the tailshaft to catch any drippings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I finally catch up by getting a 3D printer, and you go and get a lathe.

Very nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the rule of thumb with lathes / mills that reasonably well maintained old iron is still better than new cheap stuff?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boo that it didn't work but I need photos of the finished product. I've never had my hands on an ACVW engine so I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Yay for lathe work, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stick a borescope in and see if the gasket / Right Stuff crowded the intake?

• Locked thread