Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah. If it burns oil on de-celleration, you have worn valve stem seals. That causes lots of blow-by pressure -more pressure than the valve covers/gaskets are designed to handle, so most likely leaking oil from the rocker covers.

New/better than OEM gaskets will fix the oil leak, but problem is still there, you need new valve stem seals.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I suppose none of this matters since you are failing load test, not idle test, but wow. I've never used a solex carb, and I am suprised about having idle air and fuel adjustments (rather than a simple bypass/mixture setting), without having an idle air and fuel jets - or do they have idle fuel and air jets like webers?

If your carb does, is it also like weber carbs and have a main emulsion tube? The emulsion/mixing tube holds the main jetting assembly (holed brass tube that the air jet presses into on top, fuel jet presses in on the bottom) It controls how air and fuel mixes under load. Is there anything like that in the solex that could be replaced to help with the failing emissions under load?

E: Regardless, if I was in your position, I'd try fitting larger air jets rather than the fitting smaller than stock fuel jets. Besides, easier to file spare air jets larger with an oxy tip cleaning file or something, rather than buy smaller fuel jets. Then of course putting regular air jets back in after passing the test.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, 14 INCH was right about Pertronixes.

How is it that most aftermarket electronic ignitions fail?
You guys wouldn't believe how simple the mazda rotary and ford el falcon drop in style systems were; and no large heatsink or remote box required.
(Mazda brought out the electronic dizzy in 1980s, and it just drops into any old rotary, just change the coils to 12v. Ford had a bad experience in the 1995 "EF" falcon with a computer controlled ignition, so for the 96-98 model -the "EL"- Ford just chucked in a regular dizzy with a small ignition module screwed to the side, just like the old mazdas had, but larger as it was attached to the computer unlike the older carbed mazdas.
Nothing complicated, no external box, or massive attached heatsink, no crank sensor. Just simple small sensors for the hall effect shaft/rotor button that took up little to no room.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 23, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nice one!

Geirskogul posted:

The compufire/pertronix setups are like that. Just a sensor where the points go, and a magnet ring. But it still failed.
Hmm. Must be higher quality components in OEM, or better engineered (either of which makes sense due to R&D and budget). But OEM are just as simple and my 2nd hand systems lasted 5 years - so they were good for 10-15 years total. OEM ignitor/ignition modules are $100-200 so they better last...

• Locked thread