Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What's the elevation where you're at? And they didn't happen to mention NOx readings, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Puff the Probable Cause?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul, how's the vent for that heater run? Any chance of CO buildup with it? (aka you have a CO detector right?)

Black88GTA posted:

You can get a battery that's designed to be connected to an external vent tube, and use that? My car has two of these in the trunk. They come with little elbow fittings that snap into a hole on either end of the battery (and a plug for the unused hole) and you just vent the tube somewhere outside.

IIRC group 75, 78, and 90?? batteries are designed for this. There's others too I'm sure (like the one you linked), but 78 is what my car happens to use. Finding a vent setup is as easy as walking into a GM parts department if you want brand new.

Or there's always an aftermarket battery box too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have no idea what the bike is actually worth, but they actually factored in tax and title? :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

also fwiw a lot of 80s vehicles with cruise still had a cable speedometer with a vss mounted somewhere in the middle. find one and jank it.

E: like these

That persisted into the 90s on some makes.

90-93 Acura Integra comes to mind. 88-91 Civics as well. I know for sure the Integra just plopped a VSS on the back of the cluster, pretty sure the Civic did too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 30, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay, you guys don't need to run code anytime soon. :v:

What the hell is the purpose of that screeching (when it's not malfunctioning)?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, got offered $250 for a scrapper to pick up the explorer. I've asked them if that price is with me keeping the passenger seat, because I want it for the bus :2bong:

Besides the stock radio, is there anything that I should keep from it? I can't really think of any high-dollar items in a 98 Explorer.

Definitely the center console. Ford couldn't make an arm rest for poo poo, if the arm rest and console lid are in decent shape you can easily sell it.

Can't see a reason to keep the stock radio though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wouldn't sweat over the distributor. Honda distributors have never been the most robust, and if the ignitor in it went out, it was probably quicker and easier to just swap the whole thing. That looks like it was changed pretty recently too; I wouldn't think many dealers are keeping ignitors on the shelf anymore.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Assuming the screws for the ignitor aren't seized, and you can find one in stock locally, yeah, they're easy to replace.

The last Honda to have a distributor was the 2002 Accord 2.3L though (2001 for the CRV), everything has been coil on plug since then. Finding an ignitor in stock isn't that easy anymore.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

The suspension components on the front driver's side are all new-ish. Maybe 50k miles tops on them.

From the pics, it looks like the LF corner has been redone. Door, fender, etc all looked like new paint. So that's not really a surprise.

I'd be looking at fuel pressure and vacuum leaks to figure out the 0170/0171 issues.

And let me tell you a little secret about Hondas and their locks. To lock the drivers door from the inside with the door open, you need to pull the inside door handle while locking it. Every Honda I've owned was like that, except for my Integra. I don't think they still do that on current models, but it's THAT ONE TRICK that they don't want you to know.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

Heading out to pick up the right spark plugs right now.

These cams are like mirrors

Goddamn. That thing may be rough around the edges, but someone stayed up on at least oil changes.

How's the timing belt look?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Any evidence of an aftermarket alarm?

IIRC the keyless entry was a dealer add-on back then, and wasn't usually factory installed. Also IIRC, the controller just plugged in to existing wiring under the dash. No lights or switches or anything went with it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trust me when I say Honda puts all of their rattle guns on that bolt for a solid 10 minutes, after dipping the bolt in loctite red. I've seen people attempt to use a 6 ft breaker bar on that bolt and fail.

Honda crank pulley bolts (at least on B, D, F, and H engines) are seriously torqued to ungodly amounts. And even torqued properly, they manage to tighten up over time. I'd guess it may be the reverse rotation of the engine vs most engines, but I don't remember if it's a reverse thread bolt.

The same timing belt install issue crippled my last Civic - I did an aggressive downshift (5th to 2nd, given the speed it was enough to send it to 6500 RPM or so very quickly, but under redline), and as soon as I let the clutch out it died. Had it towed to my mechanic, he called me an hour later saying "whoever did this timing belt job was a loving idiot, they never undid the pin on the tensioner". Thankfully the belt had only jumped one tooth - enough to keep it from starting, but not enough to bend any valves. And the timing belt only had 20k on it, mechanic agreed whoever did it used good parts... just hosed up on the tensioner, so all parts were reused.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:ssh: Look up O2 sensor spacers on Amazon. No drilling needed on many of them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You're just begging to be selected for a "random" drug test. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly, any ~$20 Craigslist tripod will be fine to start with. It'd be nice to get one with a detachable mount. But it's babby's first tripod, right? The timer will be your friend with a cheaper (light) tripod.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:neckbeard:

Illegal Alienation posted:

Son of a diddly. Turns out 2000psi (or should I say, an advertised "2000psi") to the top of the fourth digit to my right foot -- even if only for a brief second -- is relatively catastrophic. It hasn't fallen off yet, so I'm gonna chalk this up as a win.

My stepdad tried his hand at a power washing business, and had the regulator on his machine set at 4000 PSI. I mean.. the hoses said they were good for 4000 PSI, therefore they should be able to take it, right?! :downsgun:

Goodyear stopped warranting hoses for him, he was blowing them several times a month (and oh boy a ruptured hose whipping around with a beefy trailer-mounted power washing machine behind it is no fun). They were rated up to 4000 PSI. Problem is, you get quite a surge if you slam the trigger shut, before the regulator kicks in, and of course being a fully mechanical regulator, it's not like it was set to EXACTLY 4000 PSI. And yeah.... he peeled the skin back on his hand with it once.

He also kept peeling the paint right off of.. well, everything he tried to wash. Even peeled the stripes off of parking lots. :stonk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've always wanted to go to electronic points like I did with the beetle. I tried last year, but it was an off-brand, and it burned out on the freeway. So, time to save up for a legit pertronix. The retrofit kit is $100, or a whole dizzy is $150. Next payday, I'll pick up these. For whatever reason, Amazon is cheaper than any parts house. Anymore I just use rockauto for part numbers, and amazon for purchasing.

I learned this a long time ago. Oftentimes the initial price on Rockauto is cheaper than Amazon, but once you add in shipping, it's either a wash or Amazon is cheaper, and Amazon can usually get it to you a lot faster. Then I'll cross-shop against Advance Auto Parts, since I have 2 locations within 15 minutes of me, and there's always at least a 25% off coupon online. And you can often stack coupons.

The Wholesaler Closeouts on Rockauto can't really be beat though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

4.9L and ZF is shy of unkillable. good year for obdII reasons too. probably the last for the 4.9L which is one of fords best engines imo.

Definitely the last year of the 4.9 in the F-150. They went to a 4.2 V6 for the 97+.

I would assume there's a few 96-specific parts on it, but mostly because it's the only OBD2 year of that generation and engine. The ECU is certainly 96 4.9 specific, same with the engine harness... they probably had to add a couple of sensors, but they'd be shared with other models. Ford was as good/bad as GM when it came to parts binning sensors and a lot of electrical stuff.

But yeah, short of an EMF blast, that thing will still be roaming the earth long after all of us are dead. I agree with CSB about that drivetrain being one of the best.

Expect a ton of play in the steering. Seriously. Some of it can be taken care of by adjusting the steering box, but you'll eventually need to replace the box at some point (if you don't want to see-saw the wheel constantly anyway). My stepdad's old 92 (same gen) had about half a turn of the wheel before anything happened. And I'm sure you've heard about how noisy Ford power steering pumps are - it WILL make a lot of noise, so long as it still does its job and has fluid in it, you can ignore the whining.

That generation is still pretty drat simple to work on, my only gripe is they still used vacuum-controlled HVAC poo poo (so listen for a hissing under the dash I guess?). See if the a/c works, but even if it doesn't, I don't think even an evaporator replacement is that bad of a job on those.

The 95 would indeed be less desirable simply because they're a bit more difficult to diagnose without OBD2, but IIRC you can hook up a test light to a port and pull codes that way? Maybe even get the CEL to flash the codes for you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just mentioning "cold a/c" would have sold that truck for double his asking price where I'm at.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Even semi modern cars run into issues when you swap warning lights for LEDs. It's kinda surprising how many cars still run the alternator's field through the dash warning light.

My 99 Altima didn't like having the alternator warning light swapped for an LED. It would charge, but if it was a warm start, you'd have to blip the throttle to get it to charge and get rid of the light, and the light would start flickering if you thought about lugging it. A cold start would have it start working pretty much instantly, since cold start meant it would jump up past 2k briefly once it fired.

Incandescent bulb? It would charge with no issue even if you lugged the poo poo out of the engine. That car used a plain old 194 bulb for the alternator warning light, which seems... excessive. I guess more for the power draw than anything.

My 95 Civic would keep the CEL dimly lit when swapped for LED.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 18, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Was gonna say, those old plugs don't look bad at all. Aside from the oil on the threads, they look almost new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It still continues. Last week a cockroach crawled across me while sleeping, and I found one in the tub. But I haven't seen any before or since. Yesterday a scorpion dropped from the bathroom ceiling vent, so I prime now'd some Demand CS and a sprayer and sprayed EVERYTHING. The entire goddamn house, inside and out.

Nightly scorpion hunts with a bigass UV flashlight and googles bags me at least one a night outside.

They came out of nowhere.

I'll take "things I don't miss about living in the desert" for $5000, Alex.

• Locked thread