Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, these levels are huge! How long were they expecting your average kid to spend on one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Glazius posted:

Man, these levels are huge! How long were they expecting your average kid to spend on one?

Way too long.

Hope everyone had a happy holiday. Let's jump back into the last level.

Episode 26 - The Primagen's Lightship

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I remember those loving ventilators and now I'm angry. Don't you die instantly when you touch the red lasers? I know later there are laser pits.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

I remember those loving ventilators and now I'm angry. Don't you die instantly when you touch the red lasers? I know later there are laser pits.

Yes you do. I will demonstrate this amply.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Falling off a bit and then jumping was a thing in Turok 1 as well, they even teach it to you in the training area.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
c/o the wonderful Faerie Fortune: the PC remaster of Turok 1 (shown off by Blind Sally in the Casual Thread) is currently 75% off on Steam (just $5) for the next two days, just as a heads up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm saying "hooray" to that news in the same way as Fae does.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

c/o the wonderful Faerie Fortune: the PC remaster of Turok 1 (shown off by Blind Sally in the Casual Thread) is currently 75% off on Steam (just $5) for the next two days, just as a heads up.

I came here to post this :argh:

Also, Turok: Remastered now has a level editor!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Hopefully everybody that wanted it got it during the sale as the Turok re-release is goddamn amazing.

Episode 27 - A Slow Leap of Faith

Also does anybody know of a way to do netplay on a N64 emulator? I'd love to get a few Goons in on some Rage Wars stuff.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm at E26 and I must note that I love it when you get to bore some cerebra

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
I'll catch up to the current level one of these days. Maybe.

operative lm explains the comics

operative lm and Dinosaur Hunter's cut content

Seeds of Evil and The Port of Adia
Slaughter by the River of Souls and Deadside

quote:

Before we begin with the main event, I just wanted to hop back and discuss something from the previous post (I'm bad at remembering to do things when I'm actually supposed to do them). I just wanted to make a mention that the character of Gant originally appeared in the Acclaim Comics quarterly issue Turok: Child of Blood. As mentioned before, he's what's known as the First Vicar of the Dinosoids, which is something like their top religious leader.

Yes, the Dinosoids have their own religion, though not all of them subscribe to it. It's call the Crossing Faith, and those that follow it believe that the Dinosoids that were originally dragged out of the Lost Land and deposited on Earth with no means of return were specifically chosen to... do something. The comic never really gets around to explaining much else. Gant is also head over a number of regional vicars and also a group of "subversive hidden militants" called The Cold Ones.

Anyway,

THE DEATH MARSHES

The original River of Souls level would have ended with Turok finding out that a number of the city's inhabitants were carted eastward by the Primagen's forces. The original Death Marshes would have been the first step in rescuing them. Of more pressing concern, though, is the city's elder; the Dinosoids have orders to keep him alive. Adon tells Turok that the reason is because the Elder discovered a mysterious stone in the mountains months ago, and the Dinosoids believe this stone to be part of the key to the Primagen's Lightship. Turok has to locate the Elder and protect both him and the Energy Totem. The guide proof explains the the Totem had been shielding from the prying eyes of the Purr-Linn by a "mystical cloak" before the Primagen used his telekinetic powers to goad the Purr-Linn into doing his bidding. I guess that's a decent reason why they hadn't cared about the thing before, but ehh.

This level's backstory is basically 'the Purr-Linn are pretty dumb and they live on the edges of a swamp and their buildings are made of stone but are not architecturally advanced'. Like "the work of a small child" it says. The Purr-Linn have lived in the Marshes for centuries and are incredibly pissed at other races, humans especially, for becoming more advanced in a relatively shorter amount of time. They threw in with the Campaigner back in the first game after he ripped the beating heart out of their High Warlord with his bare hands, and it was the Campaigner who introduced them to their first bits of advanced technology. After his defeat, the Purr-Linn wandered throughout the Lost Land in search of greater tech. They have now allied themselves with the Primagen, who has tricked them into thinking that he'll let them rule the Lost Land if they help him escape his Lightship.

The Death Marshes, like all of the levels originally, had its own boss: the Purr-Linn Headsman, a larger and more agile version of the Juggernaut. The Headsman was planning on forcing the Elder to watch the destruction of the Energy Totem just before killing him, but Turok's arrival would have prevented that. This whole story bit is used in both the Turok junior novels and the Seeds of Evil comic adaptation. Here's an image of the Headsman's art from the comic that was reused in the published strategy guide:

After his rescue, the Elder would have given Turok the mysterious gem (he had been hiding it from the Purr-Linn within his hollow wooden leg) and told him to continue east to rescue the rest of his people, who had been taken into the mountains. In the original storyline, the Araissian Mountains was the original source for the River of Souls, and ~sinister things~ were the reason for its pollution. But that'll have to wait 'til another level write-up.

There were a few random enemies thought up for this level that didn't make it past the planning stages as far as I'm aware. Except this guy:

This is the Catapult. Like the Hunter, he shows up occasionally on Turok 2 promo material. The smaller, weaker War Clubs would have been relegated to catapult duty, launching giant rocks at the player. I'm not sure they fall within the Purr-Linn's attitude towards weak and squeaking things, but whatever.

And then there were two others. The first was something known as a Hopper, giant flea-like things that attacked in groups and basically acted like Leapers. The second enemy had the unfortunately ridiculous name of "Mial-kka" and were essentially giant snapping turtles. The player would have had to find a way to flip them over onto their backs (with a grenade launcher or something similar) before firing at their vulnerable undersides. If the player failed to kill them before they flipped themselves back over, they would attack the player with greater aggressiveness. The concept of the evil turtle made its way into the first junior novel and, if I recall right (my copies aren't currently with me), was dispatched in essentially the same way.

So here's the original level progression now:

1. River of Souls
2. The Death Marshes
7. Deadside

Next time, we'll see what the Lair of the Blind Ones was up to.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 28 - Dick Moves Around a Chakram

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Aww man why wasn't the picture you chose for the update Xena?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

That probably would have made more sense overall. I guess The Dick move is a more obscure reference. I just kept thinking about The Dick throughout the video ever since I found out about it.

To explain what the hell I'm talking about, The Dick is a gymnastic move created by a gymnast from Trinidad & Tobego named Marisa Dick at the 2016 Rio Olympics. there is an article about it here, and a video that shows various gymnasts trying it [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT90emFmfjM]here.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Don't think I saw this anywhere in this thread, but apparently some old hardware has the Turok 1 source code

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/01/original-turok-n64-source-code-found-on-ancient-development-hardware/

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm alive!

Episode 29 - An Abrupt End

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I'm happy this is back! Please don't burn out. :ohdear:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man we're so close to the end. You're close to completing the missions for this level!

I think you get to see yourself gibbed when you die in Rage Wars, but I'm not certain.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Good ending for the video, 8/10

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How long do you think it'll take to go back and get the Primagen keys? Considering it really is just going to be backtracking to old levels with new powers i don't see the return trips to these levels being very interesting other than maybe Boreing some enemies that have not yet had the pleasure of being Bored before.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How long do you think it'll take to go back and get the Primagen keys? Considering it really is just going to be backtracking to old levels with new powers i don't see the return trips to these levels being very interesting other than maybe Boreing some enemies that have not yet had the pleasure of being Bored before.

I do have that section recording and ended it already. In some instances where we've already seen the key in the level it's just cuts to get back to it. In other instances I sped it up if we have not yet seen where in the level it was at to make it easier to find should someone want to play the game on their own and use this as a guide. Total video length isn't too long but I can't really remember exactly what it is. I think I found a good balance between not making the video tedious and giving people a good idea of where the keys are at in the levels without knowing the layout by heart.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
as much as i hate the primagen's lightship, i also love the primagen's lightship. it just feels so final. the atmosphere, the enemies, the music and the fact you're in his house breaking his poo poo is just icing on the cake for a kick rear end, if not horribly frustrating final level.

plus i will never say no to the razorwind :unsmigghh:

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

I'm surprised that it hasn't been posted here yet, but the release date for the Turok 2 remaster has been announced: March 16.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUOrDli_HXs

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

This is awesome, let's celebrate by me finally putting up an update.

Episode 30 - Mother

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No "yo mama so fat" jokes during that fight? Shameful.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

No "yo mama so fat" jokes during that fight? Shameful.

This is why I need guests. I knew I was forgetting something.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh yeah man, the nuke is great. :allears:

Originally playing this game the speakers in our TV was going out so whenever the nuke would fire the sound from the explosion would get all crackly. The noise from those dying speakers is basically ingrained into my soul in association with the nuke. Without hearing it almost feels like something is missing.

Even if the design of the weapon isn't great, at least you can get more potential shots with it than you ever did the Chronosepter, considering that i believe if you use the ammo refill from the save point also refills nukes? Even if it doesn't it's a better idea to use it against the Primagen's flying drone rear end in a top hat buddies instead of using it against the big man himself.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

You are correct, OP, in that Mother is connected to the Flesh Eaters. According to their backstory, when a lowly Sentinel becomes a Death Guard, they have to perform a ritual whereby they drink Mother's blood. The Death Guards also have a ritual where they eat some of Mother's flesh to become Lords of the Flesh. This ritual apparently has an only 25% success rate, with the failures becoming grotesque abominations; those that flat out refuse to partake in the ritual are immediately executed.

I'm not really a big fan of the Nuke. It's basically just a flashier Particle Accelerator from the first game. :colbert:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh yeah man, the nuke is great. :allears:

Originally playing this game the speakers in our TV was going out so whenever the nuke would fire the sound from the explosion would get all crackly. The noise from those dying speakers is basically ingrained into my soul in association with the nuke. Without hearing it almost feels like something is missing.

Even if the design of the weapon isn't great, at least you can get more potential shots with it than you ever did the Chronosepter, considering that i believe if you use the ammo refill from the save point also refills nukes? Even if it doesn't it's a better idea to use it against the Primagen's flying drone rear end in a top hat buddies instead of using it against the big man himself.

You absolutely get ammo for the nuke from the recharge options in the save point. I do show this off. I'd swear you got pickups in some of the spawners for it to but I couldn't get that to happen. Also spoilers I don't realize the nuke is best used against his drones initially.

Since I'm finally nearing the end of Turok 2. I would like to take the opportunity to ask if anyone wants to attempt netplay on Rage Wars. I found a plug in that should make it work okay from what I was able to research. Assuming I can get everything set up on my end okay does anyone want to play Rage Wars for a little while at some as of yet undetermined point in the future

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't have the setup to do a Rage Wars netplay, but I encourage people to sign up. There are some more cool weapons in there.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
oh man, i would love to play rage wars, considering i can never persuade people to try it.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

I'd be interested depending on how easily I can get everything to work.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So Turok 2 finally re-released today and trying to play it on my old as poo poo PC turned out kinda expected results so i mess with a few graphics settings to see if i could get it to run at a better framerate and uh...This is the result

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884842478

My brother is having chugging issues of his own on his much,much better computer but otherwise his copy is totally playable and fine.Other people on the steam forums seem to be having various graphical and skipping issues as well. A shame the launch of this game seems to be kinda meh for all the time they spent on it.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2017

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Oh poo poo, thanks for reminding me! I got caught up in ME: Andromeda early access and forgot that was today.

Just started Port of Adia and it's freaking great. It runs at 60 FPS even on my turd of a 6 year old computer. It really makes all the difference, this game is even more of a blast to play with a good framerate.

E: Oh, also! I skipped the Turok 1 remaster so I dunno if it was present there, but they've added a clamber feature into Turok 2 so laser-precise jumps are basically a thing of the past.

This game is outstanding.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 16, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Turok 2 finally re-released today and trying to play it on my old as poo poo PC turned out kinda expected results so i mess with a few graphics settings to see if i could get it to run at a better framerate and uh...This is the result

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884842478

My brother is having chugging issues of his own on his much,much better computer but otherwise his copy is totally playable and fine.Other people on the steam forums seem to be having various graphical and skipping issues as well. A shame the launch of this game seems to be kinda meh for all the time they spent on it.

Here's a direct link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/405830/

FYI, if you have Turok 1 Remaster in your Steam library, you get 25% ($5) off of Turok 2!

This game is great. Talked with one of the guys that worked on the project last night during a stream I did, there is so much work that went into this, it's mind boggling. (FYI the guy I spoke with was the one that designed the "Lair of Oblivion" MP map, as well as the main person behind getting the raptor skin from the Beta demo of the original game to be used for the raptors in this game!). They sharpened the graphics, increased the gore, gave the option of using the N64 or the PC soundtrack, and the changes they made to the multiplayer mode are great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

FYI, if you have Turok 1 Remaster in your Steam library, you get 25% ($5) off of Turok 2!

gently caress yes. just got this for basically half price thanks to this. halfway through port of Adia and this remake is pretty great so far. definitely delivers.

Tofu Survivor posted:

E: Oh, also! I skipped the Turok 1 remaster so I dunno if it was present there, but they've added a clamber feature into Turok 2 so laser-precise jumps are basically a thing of the past.

no clamber in Turok 1 Remastered. it's works really well in this one though.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
i've gotten to the children and jesus christ how horrifying

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Thank you, Turok!"

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
So, um. As fun as the game is and how great it runs on maxed out settings, has Nightdive said anything about a patch for these texture glitches that are plaguing me?

http://imgur.com/a/2p5fS

I'm running through seafoam green worlds more often than not, and even when I get the textures to appear correctly all it takes is a little twitch to sort of "toggle" back and forth. :saddowns: I'm fairly certain it's not my graphics card because all other games display just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's this topic on the Steam Discussion page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/0/135511757695213567/

"Edward850 [developer posted:

22 hours ago"]
Texture problems? Try this!
Some people have been having problems with textures flickering in and out depending on what angle you are looking. If this affects you, and you have tried updating your graphics drivers (especially important form AMD GPUs), try the following:

Open the console (~, next to the 1), set r_gl_useUniformBuffers to 0 and restart the game.
(If for some reason you can't operate the console, look for the value in your kexengine.cfg in your Turok2 folder, and change the value there.)

It seems that while Uniform Buffer support should have been detected, some GPU drivers are misreporting support for the function, and it needs to be turned off manually.

• Locked thread