Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Awesome, I have the abandonware versions, but they lack music unless you have the original CD. Plus the control options leave a lot to be desired.

Have some videos
Episode 04 - Less Jungle Left Than Expected

Bonus 01 - Normal Mode and Mortal Wounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If you were playing on a lower difficulty level, would you possibly have had access to grenades to blow up those stalactites, to access the new weapon and other goodies, by that point?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

PurpleXVI posted:

If you were playing on a lower difficulty level, would you possibly have had access to grenades to blow up those stalactites, to access the new weapon and other goodies, by that point?

He might've got some grenade launcher ammo drops by then, but he still needs the actual weapon first, and those locations don't change.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Pneub posted:

He might've got some grenade launcher ammo drops by then, but he still needs the actual weapon first, and those locations don't change.

Exactly, we won't see the launcher for a couple levels yet. On normal the enemies will drop grenades, but you can't throw grenades in Turok 1, you need the launcher.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oooooooooh.

Wow, that's a totally dick move, then.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's why most of the guides i've ever rea recommend you don't go in level order since you'll run into dick moves like that, you can get the Grenade Launcher in Level 3 or 4? Whichever one was the one you're "suppose" to do after the intro level.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

You would think that, but you can't unlock levels 4 and 5 until you finish levels 2 and 3. Level 2 had 2 level 4 keys and 1 level 5 key. Level 3 has the opposite. You get the grenade launcher in level 4. So there isn't a way to get a grenade launcher before level 2 that I'm aware of without a cheat code.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
I remember when I was younger and had a really bad flu, my dad bought me this game. I thought it was pretty rad but started getting motion sick from the weird flow-y movement. At some point when I was swimming it got to be way too much and I puked suddenly. Something about this game makes it so uncomfortable on a physical level for me (which I've never encountered in a game before that or since) but I'm really interested in this let's play because I never finished it.

Great LP so far! :)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

New stuff. Yaaaaayy.

Episode 05 - Maybe Those First Raptors Were Pets

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I felt like a genius when I was a kid because I found that tiny hole in the wall that you swim through all on my own.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This thread has one of the greatest spoiler policies I have ever seen, so to celebrate it, here's my favourite part of the Turok games: I AM TUROK!!!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It almost seems like the level design EXPECTS you to abuse diagonal-strafe-jumping.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The first game isn't nearly as massive as my puny child brain is remembering. Maybe it helps that PSWII knows what he's doing and where he's going but so far the levels are pretty linear and despite the hugeness of some of the rooms there is usually only one way to go.

At least most of that will change in the sequel :v:

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

PurpleXVI posted:

It almost seems like the level design EXPECTS you to abuse diagonal-strafe-jumping.

The tutorial (which is separate from the main game) teaches players diagonal jumping. So, yes, it does expect that.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Minty posted:

The tutorial.

I probably should have showed this off already. :v:

Also I'd swear some of these get twisty, especially level 5. Which we'll hopefully see soon enough.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The map cursor works as a crosshair if you need to line up long-range rifle/pistol shots.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Really liking this LP so far. I play way too much Turok as a kid (with cheats, though, because who didn't). I've never beaten this game without just warping to the Campaigner, so this will be fun to see the game played properly.

Also, one weird glitch that I remember doing in this level is if you come to a stairway with a low, sloped ceiling: If you jump and can hit your head on the ceiling, keep the jump button held down while holding forward (so R button and C-Up in the case of the N64) and Turok will slide down the ceiling.

This serves absolutely no purpose, except I guess getting you to the bottom faster. It also works if you're facing up the stairs and do it. You still slide down, though, just backwards.

I don't remember how the hell I found it. Probably just a 10 year old me hopping everywhere.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Velocity Raptor posted:

I play way too much Turok as a kid (with cheats, though, because who didn't).
NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK

That's the master cheat, which I still remember despite not playing this game since 1998. Well, almost remember, because it's supposed to say "on the eighth day God created Turok" without vowels but they wrote "eigth" instead. :downs:

I used that cheat a lot back in the day. The one for Turok 2 is, of course, BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND. I was not good at these games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The cheats were fantastic though. I mean who wouldn't want to use all weapons with infinite ammo on big head mode enemies permanently in slow-mo? Children nowadays are deprived, I tell ya.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Doc Morbid posted:

NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK

That's the master cheat, which I still remember despite not playing this game since 1998. Well, almost remember, because it's supposed to say "on the eighth day God created Turok" without vowels but they wrote "eigth" instead. :downs:

I used that cheat a lot back in the day. The one for Turok 2 is, of course, BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND. I was not good at these games.

LKMBRD, "Look, I'm a Bird" enabled noclip, which was not included in the master cheat. To this day, even though the information is easily and readily available to me, whenever I think about Turok for whatever reason, I wonder what else that cartridge was hiding from me.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

My favorite was always wirerframe mode, and the one that make all the textures multi colored.

Also I did know the map trick to help with aiming, I just didn't think everybody would want to see the map all the time. I always had it on as a kid, but I'm very easy going. The crying baby in Yoshi's Island never bothered me either.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Also, one weird glitch that I remember doing in this level is if you come to a stairway with a low, sloped ceiling: If you jump and can hit your head on the ceiling, keep the jump button held down while holding forward (so R button and C-Up in the case of the N64) and Turok will slide down the ceiling.

I never knew this, gonna go try this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Big head mode also makes the enemies have lower voices. I'd always giggle like an idiot when I heard the boss of this level say "HEY!" with his big head.

There's a code in Turok 2 that changes all of a certain pickup into a face of somebody who won a Nintendo Power contest. I miss cheat codes and Nintendo Power.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of old game magazines, the Internet Archive has a bunch of old N64 Magazine issues up and I've been reading some of them. While I generally liked N64 Magazine and those old issues are still fun to read, they certainly weren't above writing ludicrous bullshit:

Yes, the concept of Doom was really improved by a bunch of platforming, a life/checkpoint system and constantly respawning enemies. I'd assume the reviewer has changed his opinion in the last 18 years.

edit: and yes, I know Doom has respawning enemies in Nightmare mode, but that's supposed to be the optional bullshit hard mode

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 5, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of old game magazines, the Internet Archive has a bunch of old N64 Magazine issues up and I've been reading some of them. While I generally liked N64 Magazine and those old issues are still fun to read, they certainly weren't above writing ludicrous bullshit:

Yes, the concept of Doom was really improved by a bunch of platforming, a life/checkpoint system and constantly respawning enemies. I'd assume the reviewer has changed his opinion in the last 18 years.

I doubt it. Add in regenerating health and you've got the Halo games. Remove the platforming and it's CoD.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RickVoid posted:

I doubt it. Add in regenerating health and you've got the Halo games. Remove the platforming and it's CoD.

Neither of those games have respawning enemies (though Call of Duty might on its highest difficulty). :ssh:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Synastren posted:

Neither of those games have respawning enemies (though Call of Duty might on its highest difficulty). :ssh:

One of Black Ops main features was having no unlimited spawning enemies. I poo poo you not.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes, the concept of Doom was really improved by a bunch of platforming, a life/checkpoint system and constantly respawning enemies.

You mean it as sarcasm, but I honestly thought all those things did improve the experience. The life/checkpoint system is a nice improvement over the Save system of Doom, and also made it so that the game designers were allowed to through in more collectibles in there. The platforming expanded the gameplay so that it was more than just what FPS's usually were. And the respawning enemies helped teach you how to conserve ammo, and forced you to pick and choose your fights rather than trying to solve everything with brute force...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Doom was a bad game, or that there weren't complexities to the gameplay, but I really do think Turok expanded upon the formula in mostly positive ways. I remember reading that the main game designer for the game was a reputed perfectionist, and honestly, it really does show in this game.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly I do feel this expanded well on Doom. It still keeps the core mechanic of blasting the hell out of everything that's moving, and the platforming feels like a natural evolution from adding the jump button. And 3d space was one of the main points of the game so they wanted to make the world feel huge, that way they could show off the 3d power of the N64. For the record I really like Doom, just not Doom 3.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can see how Turok would've made an impression in 1997 because it did have pretty spectacular boss fights and weapons (I definitely thought the graphics looked cool, even though I wasn't a fan of the gameplay itself), and I do suppose the levels being more open than the usual tunnels and mazes you'd see in other FPS games was neat as well. Turok does also have the free 3D aiming, which is definitely an improvement over regular Doom and I think this might be the first console shooter that did it, so that's something.

That said, I don't think Turok: Dinosaur Hunter holds up at all in comparison to the original Doom, and neither does Doom 64 (or even Doom II) for that matter. Turok has more gameplay features, but in this case I don't think more equals better and Doom in all its simplicity is a far more playable game (which is why I thought that review quote was funny). There is a reason why first person shooters rarely do platforming over instadeath pits (even Turok 2 toned down that stuff and is a far better game for it), and when you add in some of the fun "welp I landed on the platform but fell through it because the collision detection is janky" moments and the lives system, it's really an exercise in frustration. As for the enemy respawns, maybe I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't literally warp into existence next to you.

I'm sure I'd look back on this game more fondly if I hadn't grown up playing Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on PC. Again, Turok 2 is a massive improvement and I'll probably pick up the PC remaster (I still have my original cart, but I'm not playing anything with the N64 Turok controls ever again), but in my opinion the original was fairly mediocre back then and is borderline unplayable now.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

More videos up.

Episode 06 - Slightly Less Glaring Technical Issues

Bonus 02 - Training Day

EDIT: Also operative lm I added the comics stuff that you put up in the second post, hope that's ok with you.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 7, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I attempt to do that sweet head skate in every FPS I've ever played whenever I go down some stairs. I wish it was in more games.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean

PSWII60 posted:

EDIT: Also operative lm I added the comics stuff that you put up in the second post, hope that's ok with you.

Absolutely!

And just to let you know, you did, in fact, discover Completely Useless Switch's only purpose: dropping Soldiers onto players' faces. :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Completely Useless SwitchTM, a registered trademark of the Turok brand Firearms Manufacturing Co. Pasadena CA. Let's have a new video to celebrate the new product launch.

Episode 07 - The Best Game Mechanic

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Don't remember this boss, but like holy crap that is just such a bad boss design.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zain posted:

Don't remember this boss, but like holy crap that is just such a bad boss design.

I don't *screech* know *screech* what *screech* you're talking *screech* about.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I never realized Longhunter hung out at the edge of the not-arena while you were fighting the Hummers. I thought he didn't actually spawn until you killed them.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Until this recording, I never realized he spawned either. I actually thought he was shooting at me at first when I saw him there.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I am surprised you're doing all this jumping without the map. Hell Turok taught me how important it is to rely on maps in video games. If you're worried about it, I doubt any of us will find it intrusive if you have the map on.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think I almost never turned the map off when I played Turok.

Then again I almost always had cheats on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
turok was the very first fps game i had even seen, let alone played and none of the other kids at school ever heard about it so they were all still talking about goldeneye while i just wanted to talk about my super cool game with robot dinosaurs and aliens :(

anyway thanks for doing this, i havent even thought about these games since like the early 2000s but i think they left a lasting impression because of how much they blew my mind as a child

• Locked thread