Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

funky not a junkie posted:

turok was the very first fps game i had even seen, let alone played and none of the other kids at school ever heard about it so they were all still talking about goldeneye while i just wanted to talk about my super cool game with robot dinosaurs and aliens :(

anyway thanks for doing this, i havent even thought about these games since like the early 2000s but i think they left a lasting impression because of how much they blew my mind as a child

Turok was easily my favorite series on this system, and the sequel was probably my favorite N64 game. I definitely played it more than Goldeneye, single player at least. Multiplayer leaves something to be desired, but we'll get to that eventually.

Also I'm not entirely sure how I'm making the jumps. I'm just kind of feeling them out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
It's kind of surprising how long they make you deal with the auto shotty and assault rifle as your only real weapons. Considering all the insane poo poo you get later.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PSWII60 posted:

Turok was easily my favorite series on this system, and the sequel was probably my favorite N64 game. I definitely played it more than Goldeneye, single player at least. Multiplayer leaves something to be desired, but we'll get to that eventually.

Also I'm not entirely sure how I'm making the jumps. I'm just kind of feeling them out I guess.

The jumps in the first game are killer. When I played this when it first came out, it took me quite a while to make an art of using the mini-map as a jump guide, and learning the fine art of getting a few more feet on your jumps through diagonal jumping.

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...thanks Turok!

A Curvy Goonette posted:

It's kind of surprising how long they make you deal with the auto shotty and assault rifle as your only real weapons. Considering all the insane poo poo you get later.

There are some pretty badass weapons in these games if memory serves. The Chronoscepter was nifty, but......The Strangelove Cannon or whatever it's name was still my favorite from the first. The second game though, that's an entirely different can of worms. A lot of FUN weapons in that one. Glad I came back to see this LP. Bringing back good memories. Thanks OP!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Cerebral Bore. :allears:

If you listen carefully just before you go asleep you can hear it in the distance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Spudd posted:

The Cerebral Bore. :allears:

If you listen carefully just before you go asleep you can hear it in the distance.

whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-splorch

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BMS posted:

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pneub posted:

BMS posted:

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...

Thank you, Turok! *dematerializes*

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

RickVoid posted:

whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-splorch
That sound is just so amazing, the high pitch whine of a small motor giving all it has and the squeaking of metal spinning against bone crowned with that flat splorch when it explodes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFnCWyXyEk

BMS posted:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1A4dlQy0ko

Fix that for you.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
My favourite gun in Turok 1 was that alien weapon that made enemies stop in place, then their textures turned black, then they exploded. It honestly wasn't all that an effective weapon since it didn't do conventional damage (every shot was all-or-nothing, iirc), but in a game that didn't have the Cerebral Bore, it definitely took the cake for me.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

My favourite gun in Turok 1 was that alien weapon that made enemies stop in place, then their textures turned black, then they exploded. It honestly wasn't all that an effective weapon since it didn't do conventional damage (every shot was all-or-nothing, iirc), but in a game that didn't have the Cerebral Bore, it definitely took the cake for me.

i think it was called the particle accelerator, that was my favorite gun too :)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

funky not a junkie posted:

i think it was called the particle accelerator, that was my favorite gun too :)

It is, it's my favorite gun as well. We'll see it in a couple levels and it had a bigger spread than you'd expect.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pneub posted:

BMS posted:

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...thanks Turok!

YES. Thank you Pneub.

That's another one of those moments I've forgotten, but very true to the fact!

Also....is that the PC version? I'm wanting to say that looking through my nostalgia glasses, the faces weren't THAT poorly done on the N64 version....

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
they were. yes. i checked.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BMS posted:

Also....is that the PC version? I'm wanting to say that looking through my nostalgia glasses, the faces weren't THAT poorly done on the N64 version....

The N64's blurryness probably helps the faces if anything.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I have to say, I really, REALLY love the Longhunter. Not so much his humvees, but the Longhunter himself is such an amazing boss. He launches Sonic Booms at you, he does Tae Kwon Do kicks in the air, he's got a plasma rifle, he's constantly moving around and doing shoulder rolls all over the place...and that voice acting! That GRRRAAAAAUUGGGGHHHHH he makes every time you hit him :swoon:!! And then not only that, but he manages to be an extremely well designed boss. Tough, really tough. But not SO tough that you can't beat him without losing half your health when you discover diagonal strafing...

Seriously, this guy's just incredible, and so are his animations. It's really to the game designer's credit that they made a boss that would make such a strong impression on you. Like, holy cow, you just killed this fricken war machine of a man! Don't you feel like you're on top of the world?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Next time you die, can you show the entire revival animation?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Next time you die, can you show the entire revival animation?

Yeah I realized I did that in editing, It's in the episode after the next. More Turok as soon as editing is done.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It's a new update.

Episode 08 - More Bigger Explosives

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Raptor?...Raptor gone :D

I think you missed a pickup in the far left corner of that portal room, it's why you kept going back there.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So, I have a question for PSWII, or anyone else who's able to answer. Now, the game gives you some cheat codes if you meet certain conditions. It'll give you an infinite lives code if you get 9 lives and 99 Life Force tokens for example, and in the end credits, it gives you codes for Invincibility, All Weapons, and Unlimited Ammo if you beat the game on Hard. But, I hear that others can be unlocked by collecting enough Life Force tokens over the course of the game? But, there's not really a lot of documentation on that, so would anyone happen to know how that all works?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I knew more about unlocking those as a kid, but I actually forgot about unlocking cheats until I unlocked one during gameplay.

And I don't know what pushed me into the second sub area, as I did not see the first one anymore. It's not as much that you won't see the second one until you clear the first one, more so that you won't see the one you cleared anymore.

But have an update.

Episode 09 - Memory Failure

EDIT: Also the next one might take me a little bit, my sister gets married in about a week, and I'm part of her bridal party and helping evenyone to get set up.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess they don't calling it The Lost Land for nothing.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Finally broke down and played some Turok 2 tonight.

On the one hand, I'm way better at this game than I was 15 years ago, all objectives in the first level found and completed.

On the other, holy poo poo these controls are hot rear end. Tank controls, but my "turret" can rotate, but the rotation is super sensitive and the same stick controls up and down look and it also tries to snap back to the "middle" (which isn't) and UGH.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I got a really good giggle out of the editing notes you put over the video.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RickVoid posted:

Finally broke down and played some Turok 2 tonight.

On the one hand, I'm way better at this game than I was 15 years ago, all objectives in the first level found and completed.

On the other, holy poo poo these controls are hot rear end. Tank controls, but my "turret" can rotate, but the rotation is super sensitive and the same stick controls up and down look and it also tries to snap back to the "middle" (which isn't) and UGH.

I think there's an option to turn the snap to aiming off but it's honestly bad either way since without it on you don't have a second stick dedicated to doing little microcorrections so you can see straight. But with it on trying to aim on to higher levels while staying mobile to avoid taking damage is impossible.

Pick your lovely poison and take it :( at least we have the PC re-releases coming out to fix these problems right?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think there's an option to turn the snap to aiming off but it's honestly bad either way since without it on you don't have a second stick dedicated to doing little microcorrections so you can see straight. But with it on trying to aim on to higher levels while staying mobile to avoid taking damage is impossible.

Pick your lovely poison and take it :( at least we have the PC re-releases coming out to fix these problems right?

And I am really looking forward to that. Turok 2 is a good game hampered by bad controls.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I somehow got the Turok 2 Prima guide when I was a kid and read that thing at least 10 times. Never played the game though...I think I constructed a better game in my head than the weird back-and-forth key hunting poo poo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is that the guide that gave you less and less information as it went along or was that something i heard that wasn't true?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is that the guide that gave you less and less information as it went along or was that something i heard that wasn't true?

It was either a Turok 1 or a Turok 2 Guide, I want to say it was the Prima one for Turok 1. After level 4, it just stops giving a walk through and starts giving little screenshots that are a little less helpful them the Gamepro Protips of old. There was something along the lines of, Since you should be a Turok Master by now you don't need us to hold your hand anymore. Wouldn't even show the locations of the Chronoscepter pieces, just a screenshot that shows the piece in game and says look for this area.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah the Turok 2 guide had full maps all the way to the last level. Not much actual direction on what you're supposed to do though, more layouts of the levels and pickup locations/flesh eater portals.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PSWII60 posted:

It was either a Turok 1 or a Turok 2 Guide, I want to say it was the Prima one for Turok 1. After level 4, it just stops giving a walk through and starts giving little screenshots that are a little less helpful them the Gamepro Protips of old. There was something along the lines of, Since you should be a Turok Master by now you don't need us to hold your hand anymore. Wouldn't even show the locations of the Chronoscepter pieces, just a screenshot that shows the piece in game and says look for this area.

I've actually got both of those somewhere stashed away. If you'd like I could try and locate them and post those helpful hints for the levels you beat (after the fact of course so as not to spoil anything major), with screencaps.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nintendo Power, I swear, at one point did a whole series of issues dedicated to Turok and Turok 2 basically providing a walkthrough for the whole game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I remember they did one issues that was basically the first half of Resident Evil 2, all the way up to the part where you talk to Chief Irons. So that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

BMS posted:

I've actually got both of those somewhere stashed away. If you'd like I could try and locate them and post those helpful hints for the levels you beat (after the fact of course so as not to spoil anything major), with screencaps.

Could you also post to see if it gives any info on how to unlock the cheat codes? I just finished the game while getting like, 2000 Life Force Tokens (yes, I committed suicide multiple times), and...no dice. I still just got the basic "All Weapons", "Unlimited Ammo", and "Spiritual Invincibility" trio.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 18, 2015

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
I have the Dinosaur Hunter guides published by Prima and GameFans, and they only list what the cheats are, not how to get them, and the Prima guide barely does that. I dunno if the one by BradyGames has anything.

The guide you all are thinking of is for Seeds of Evil, and what makes the whole thing even worse is that it was the one Acclaim published in-house! :v:

Here's a couple of cropped pages as examples (level spoilers for the next game if anyone cares). It's pretty bad when a guide goes from this:

To this after the third level:

There's a reason I never got past Lair of the Blind Ones legitimately as a child.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

BMS posted:

Yeah, if you could find them that'd be awesome. It's be cool to look back and see the guides that came out before they became encyclopedias.

Also operative lm that is the exact guide. I was so pissed because I bought that guide at Kmart, took it home, then read it. I probably should have read it before buying it, but I can't understand why a guide for a game, a 1st party one apparently, would only guide you through half the main game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Fionordequester posted:

I have to say, I really, REALLY love the Longhunter. Not so much his humvees, but the Longhunter himself is such an amazing boss. He launches Sonic Booms at you, he does Tae Kwon Do kicks in the air, he's got a plasma rifle, he's constantly moving around and doing shoulder rolls all over the place...and that voice acting! That GRRRAAAAAUUGGGGHHHHH he makes every time you hit him :swoon:!! And then not only that, but he manages to be an extremely well designed boss. Tough, really tough. But not SO tough that you can't beat him without losing half your health when you discover diagonal strafing...

Seriously, this guy's just incredible, and so are his animations. It's really to the game designer's credit that they made a boss that would make such a strong impression on you. Like, holy cow, you just killed this fricken war machine of a man! Don't you feel like you're on top of the world?

You forgot the most important part of Longhunter.

"Hey!"

• Locked thread