Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

What is this?

This is an LP of the first best games to bear the name Turok, the ones on the N64. Turok was an FPS series that was largly known for large levels, interesting enemy designs, and mostly for amazingly unique weapons. The N64 Turok games had set a high bar for the genre on the system, before that bar fell off its pegs and hit the ground in the PS2 era. I'll be playing through the first 3 Turok games on hard, and probably a one off video of Rage Wars.

What's a Turok?

Turok is a title that get's passed down to the eldest living male native of the tribe in the Lost Land. A land that exists just slightly in a different dimension than earth. Things, like Native Americans, dinosaurs, and other colorful characters occasionally get sucked through. It's Turok's job to see that the balance between worlds is maintained. He more or less watches the doorway to see what falls through it. He gets some stuff that really has no bearing on gameplay other than having a plot excuse for why he carries so much stuff and takes so much punishment. Like the Light Burden, which is a chunk of energy from the big bang encased in amber. It lets Turok reach in and pull out his arsenal, gear, ammo, etc. He also has a magic chest piece that protects him from harm, and magic leggings that make him faster and with more agility.

Wasn't this a comic?

Yes, but I never read more than a single issue so I'll probably not delve too deeply into it.

Spoiler policy

There really isn't much to spoil. Plus the games are 15+ years old, so go nuts.

The Games

The first Turok, Turok Dinosaur Hunter, was released on the Nintendo 64 in 1997. The game was originally concieved as a third person game along the lines of Tomb Raider or Mario 64. They switched to first person feeling that it was a better way to show off the 3D processing power of the N64, and that it pulled you more into the game. Acclaim bought the rights to the Turok comics in the hopes that having something licensed would lead to better sales and possible merch, as they were bleeding out financially at the time. It was ended up being successful enough in preorders alone that a sequel was announced before the first game was released.

Weapons (what you're here for)

Knife - Your basic melee weapon, and your only fallback if you run out of ammo. Also the only one you can use underwater.

Tek Bow - Your starting ranged weapon, uses regular arrows and Tek (explosive) arrows. Regular arrows do more damage with further draws and big damage with good timing, Tek arrows just do big damage whenever they hit something.

Pistol - The standard pistol, decent fire rate, lower damage.

Shotgun - Your standard shotgun, has a spread, does good damage up close, slow rate of fire.

Auto Shotgun - Obsoletes the regular shotgun before we even get it, same great damage, triple the rate of fire.

Assault Rifle - Kind of a better pistol, uses the same ammo, but fires in a 3 shot burst so it kills quicker.

Pulse Rifle - Our first energy weapon, very high rate of fire with no recoil.

Grenade Launcher - High explosive weapon, grenades explode on enemy impact or after a short period from leaving the gun. Explosions can damage you if you use it too close to yourself.

Minigun - Extremely high rate of fire, burns through ammo and enemies fairly quickly.

Shockwave WeaponParticle Accelerator - Hold down the trigger to charge the weapon, has a 5 stage charge that increases in blast radius, damage, and energy cell usage centered from the point of impact. The only weapon that can kill monkeys.

Alien Weapon - Fires a small energy shot that explodes after half a second. Damage on the shot is small but damage on the explosion is roughly the same as an explosive shotgun shell.

Quad Rocket Launcher - Fires 4 rockets when you pull the trigger, that's about all there is to it. Rockets have a bit of a wave pattern to them so some rockets may miss the target sometimes.

Fusion Cannon - Huge damage to a large area, only the strongest enemies take more than one shot. Temporarily blinds the person holding the controller.

Chronosceptor - Massive damage to a smaller explosion size focal point. Will take Tal'Set from a full 250 health to dead in a single shot. Blinds the player like the Fusion Cannon does, just in a peppermint color instead of urine.

Episodes
Episode 01- Meet the Hunter
Episode 02 - Spectacular Dodging gently caress Ups
Episode 03 - The Jungle
Episode 04 - Less Jungle Left Than Expected
Episode 05 - Maybe Those First Raptors Were Pets
Episode 06 - Slightly Less Glaring Technical Issues
Episode 07 - The Best Game Mechanic
Episode 08 - More Bigger Explosives
Episode 09 - Memory Failure
Episode 10 - Keeping Warm In The Catacombs
Episode 11 - I Love this Gun
Episode 12 - Exterminating More Species
Episode 13 - I Want A Tree House Like This Even Today
Episode 14 - The Air Up Here is Mighty Thin
Episode 15 - What Doesn't Kill Us
Episode 16 - Odd Geological Structures
Episode 17 - Everything But A Fortress
Episode 18 - Oh Here's The Foretress
Episode 19 - A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Episode 20 - Bouncing Back
Episode 21 - Hello Darkness My Old Friend
Episode 22 - A Broken Warrior

Bonus 01 - Normal Mode and Mortal Wounds
Bonus 02 - Training Day
Bonus 03 - Know Your Prey
Bonus 04 - CHEATS!!

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil is the sequel to Turok: Dinosaur hunter developed by the same team as Turok 1, Iguana Entertainment, was released for the Nintendo 64 on October 21, 1998. A port of the game was also released for Microsoft Windows shortly afterwards. The game has 6 levels (Down from Turok 1's 8 levels) where the player's end goal is to take out a powerful evil alien called the Primagen, who was recently woken up. Turok 2 adds in a multiplayer mode that many remember fondly. Turok 2 came hot off the heels of the first Turok's success, and was announced before Turok 1 was even released. Turok 2 was delivered to a waiting world with a great amount of critical and commercial success, praising the game's AI, weapons, and sound design in particular. Many reviewers paid particular attention to the now famous Cerebral Bore, which has been mentioned countless times in top ten weapons in FPS games lists. Turok 2 improves on nearly everything the original had with an exception of the framerate. The developers were given a copy of the 4MB expansion pack for the N64 and they used it to add more detail to the game world at the cost of the games framerate. It is by no means unplayable, but it is enough to be noticeable.

Weapons

Talon - A basic melee weapon, 2 claws attached to a leather wrist strap with a handle, just swing it really.

War Blade - An upgraded Talon, hits a couple times on each swing and can remove heads and limbs.

Flare Gun - Temporarily lights up dark areas, has infinite ammo.

Bow - Does more damage the longer you pull back on the bow, arrows have a fall off over distance but can be pick back up assuming you can get to them.

Tek Bow - A better bow, you have no resaon to use the regular bow after getting this, can use tek arrows, faster pull, and it can snipe.

Pistol - A basic firearm you point and shoot and it does damage, some rapid fire capability.

Mag 60 - The upgraded Pistol, fires a 3 round burst that does more damage than 3 rounds out of the Pistol. Can remove limbs.

Shotgun - Does more damage the closer you are to an enemy, our first weapon that can remove limbs.

Shredder - The upgraded Shotgun, fires rounds that exploded into ricocheting shrapnel, and explosive rounds bounce aroung in a single beam, but bounce for longer.

Tranquilizer Gun - Puts enemies to sleep after a couple shots. Sleep doesn't last very long so make it count.

Plasma Rifle - Redisigned as a sniping weapon in this game from Turok 1, preferred to the Tek Bow in some areas due to night vision.

Grenade Launcher - Returning from Turok 1 the Grenade Launcher retains its splash damage , but seems to loose a good bit of its power.

Harpoon Gun - The first underwater projectile weapon, higher damage than you would expect and you can collect the used spears the same as arrows.

Torpedo Launcher - The other underwater projectile weapon. Fires two torpedoes per trigger pull, torpedoes explode. Better used for its enhanced speed underwater than as an actual weapon.

Charged Dart Rifle - A much improved upgrade to the Tranquilizer Gun. Stuns nearly all enemies in the game, keeping them ocked down with an electric shock. Can be charged to 5 staged, keeping enemies locked down for longer and using more darts with higher level charges.

Flamethrower - Spits a flammable substance over an arc. Has a surprisingly large range due to the gun firing in an arc rather than a stream of flame.

Cerebral Bore - This gun locks onto a being with intelligence, then fires a homing bore to find the top of their head, drill in, and explode. This gun is still famous among various greatest weapons in a FPS game lists. Truly a masterpiece of weapon design.

Sunfire Pod - Explodes in a bright flash when thrown. The Flash blinds other enemies and burns Blind Ones outright. Only available in Level 4.

Firestorm Cannon - The minigun replacement in Turok 2. Takes a brief period to warm up and start spinning, but is a much better use of the plasma rounds than the plasma rifle is when at mid or short ranges.

PFM Layer - Drops a mins that does decent damage. Very slow rate of fire means it's really bad for any enemy that's already aware of you.

Scorpion Missile Launcher - Locks onto enemies and fires three homing missiles for each trigger pull.

Razorwind - A circular saw chakram hybrid that comes back after you throw it. Has no targeting reticle but also ha infinite ammo, or no ammo, depending on how you want to look at it.

Episodes

w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife

Bonus 1 - Multiplayer Explained (I think)
Bonus 2 - Semi-active Multiplayer Showdown

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

BONUS MATERIAL

operative lm explains the comics

operative lm and Dinosaur Hunter's cut content

operative lm and a whold bunch of Seeds of Evil cut content

Blind Sally explains the backstories of The Primagen and Oblivion (some Turok 3 plot spoilers)

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 5, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

I didn't watch the second video yet so apologies if I'm repeating things you've already said, but some of the people from Iguana Entertainment went on to form Retro Studios. I guess there was a reason why playing Metroid Prime reminded me of Turok in many ways.

I didn't know this at all, that's awesome.

Klaus88 posted:

What was up with your pump shotgun? Seemed to be clipping out of existence.

Near as I can tell it's a bug in the games emulation, but I couldn't find a graphics plugin that would correct it. Also I didn't look very hard. If anything else happens I can switch to the console and do it that way.

Doc Morbid posted:

Only 100 games and nine systems? You still have some hope. Just watch out, before you know it you're buying consolized Neo Geo arcade boards and RGB modded import consoles and god knows what.

Me? I'm a lost cause at this point. :negative:

I'm not counting mine, but as long as we leave steam libraries out of the equation we might me ok, right?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

My parents never let me play bloody, gory games as a kid, but for some reason they made an exception for Turok. Some of the best FPS weapons ever come from there. Thanks for LPing this.

Will you be showing off Rage Wars?

Yes, I'll show off rage wars. I just don't want to go through Turok Evolution again.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Added a spoiler policy just in case it wasn't obvious that there really isn't anything to spoil except for new cool weapons, and that would just make me want to see them more.

Also yeah Turok 2 is fairly graphic for the time with individual parts being blown off and the bones sticking out of the removes appendage. Still my favorite of the series and I can't wait to get to it. Easily my favorite weapon collection in an FPS.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

e: The visual clipping certainly wasn't as bad on a legit N64 but it definitely happened even on the regular system, usually while climbing. I also could have sworn there was a no-clip cheat I used which is extremely weird for a console game.

This is accurate. I know you could see through the walls some while climbing them, but I haven't been able to check on the console yet to verify.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I dont know posted:

Something you don't mention about mortal wounds in the video is that they only drop if you kill enemies with either the knife or regular arrows, so it's an incentive to use those weapons a least until you hit the limit.

This one I did know, I just was apparently dumb. I even had it written down in front of me.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

operative lm posted:

Will you be emulating Seeds of Evil when you get to it? Last I checked, N64 emulators couldn't handle the game's real-time lighting system and won't render anything that isn't a static light. Since fire, energy blasts, and even an entire, though little-used, mechanic (the flashlight) all use it, I'm worried that the viewers will be missing out on seeing Turok 2 as beautiful as it was on the console release. :( (or as beautiful as 480i could be, at any rate)

Also dark. Sizable bits of a couple of levels will be really dark.

I'm likely gonna have to use the console for that one, there's only one emulator I've found that plays the sound at all, and it's kinda screwy with the controls. I just need to figure out if my expansion pack is fried or not first so I can show off the high res textures.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry this took so long, My sister's bridal shower was this past weekend and the prep took up a lot of my time over the past week. Should be back on track from here on out. Made this one a little longer to make up for it. Let me know if you guys prefer the longer vids.
Episode 03 - the Jungle

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Turok Evolution was the one where I stopped. The weapons were great, especially the swarm bore and sniper pistol. If they only stopped taking some of them away between levels. I liked the dinosaur riding second, the triceratops with gatling guns and morters was awesome, because I knew I was going to keep those awesome weapons throughout. I don't really remember the game much aside from that. I don't even really remember the dino flying sections other than that they existed. I think it was a pteranodon, though size wise it was a quetzalcoatlus.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Having never tried Body Harvest, I'm not really sure what I am missing out on. I do feel like I am in a very small minority that genuinely enjoyed the N64 controller.

Also operative lm, I never said properly but awesome thanks for the comic dump. If there is more related to the games at all, please drop it in here. I only read one issue that i still have that came in a big 50 pack of random comics, and I do not remember it at all.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Ok then, longer vids will start after this upcoming one. There was a lot less level left than I realized. Level 3 is absolutely huge, and I can't wait.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Cheez posted:

I hate this statement whenever it comes up. The most popular N64 emulator is plugin-based, so bad plugins cause issues. The default plugins are, in fact, bad. If you get a good one, it stops being an issue. As an example, Glide64 and maybe even RiceVideo won't do this. Glide64 in general is pretty good and makes a lot of games that had issues better.

Glide fixes the clipping issues, but causes an issue where the textures are tiled very close together, and it causes some very obvious repeating textures. I'll be switching to the console as soon as i can.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Is that the level with the first boss battle or is that level 4?

It's the level with the first boss. Levels 3, 5, and 8 have bosses.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Awesome, I have the abandonware versions, but they lack music unless you have the original CD. Plus the control options leave a lot to be desired.

Have some videos
Episode 04 - Less Jungle Left Than Expected

Bonus 01 - Normal Mode and Mortal Wounds

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Pneub posted:

He might've got some grenade launcher ammo drops by then, but he still needs the actual weapon first, and those locations don't change.

Exactly, we won't see the launcher for a couple levels yet. On normal the enemies will drop grenades, but you can't throw grenades in Turok 1, you need the launcher.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

You would think that, but you can't unlock levels 4 and 5 until you finish levels 2 and 3. Level 2 had 2 level 4 keys and 1 level 5 key. Level 3 has the opposite. You get the grenade launcher in level 4. So there isn't a way to get a grenade launcher before level 2 that I'm aware of without a cheat code.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

New stuff. Yaaaaayy.

Episode 05 - Maybe Those First Raptors Were Pets

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Minty posted:

The tutorial.

I probably should have showed this off already. :v:

Also I'd swear some of these get twisty, especially level 5. Which we'll hopefully see soon enough.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

My favorite was always wirerframe mode, and the one that make all the textures multi colored.

Also I did know the map trick to help with aiming, I just didn't think everybody would want to see the map all the time. I always had it on as a kid, but I'm very easy going. The crying baby in Yoshi's Island never bothered me either.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Also, one weird glitch that I remember doing in this level is if you come to a stairway with a low, sloped ceiling: If you jump and can hit your head on the ceiling, keep the jump button held down while holding forward (so R button and C-Up in the case of the N64) and Turok will slide down the ceiling.

I never knew this, gonna go try this.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly I do feel this expanded well on Doom. It still keeps the core mechanic of blasting the hell out of everything that's moving, and the platforming feels like a natural evolution from adding the jump button. And 3d space was one of the main points of the game so they wanted to make the world feel huge, that way they could show off the 3d power of the N64. For the record I really like Doom, just not Doom 3.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

More videos up.

Episode 06 - Slightly Less Glaring Technical Issues

Bonus 02 - Training Day

EDIT: Also operative lm I added the comics stuff that you put up in the second post, hope that's ok with you.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 7, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Completely Useless SwitchTM, a registered trademark of the Turok brand Firearms Manufacturing Co. Pasadena CA. Let's have a new video to celebrate the new product launch.

Episode 07 - The Best Game Mechanic

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Until this recording, I never realized he spawned either. I actually thought he was shooting at me at first when I saw him there.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

funky not a junkie posted:

turok was the very first fps game i had even seen, let alone played and none of the other kids at school ever heard about it so they were all still talking about goldeneye while i just wanted to talk about my super cool game with robot dinosaurs and aliens :(

anyway thanks for doing this, i havent even thought about these games since like the early 2000s but i think they left a lasting impression because of how much they blew my mind as a child

Turok was easily my favorite series on this system, and the sequel was probably my favorite N64 game. I definitely played it more than Goldeneye, single player at least. Multiplayer leaves something to be desired, but we'll get to that eventually.

Also I'm not entirely sure how I'm making the jumps. I'm just kind of feeling them out I guess.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

funky not a junkie posted:

i think it was called the particle accelerator, that was my favorite gun too :)

It is, it's my favorite gun as well. We'll see it in a couple levels and it had a bigger spread than you'd expect.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Next time you die, can you show the entire revival animation?

Yeah I realized I did that in editing, It's in the episode after the next. More Turok as soon as editing is done.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It's a new update.

Episode 08 - More Bigger Explosives

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I knew more about unlocking those as a kid, but I actually forgot about unlocking cheats until I unlocked one during gameplay.

And I don't know what pushed me into the second sub area, as I did not see the first one anymore. It's not as much that you won't see the second one until you clear the first one, more so that you won't see the one you cleared anymore.

But have an update.

Episode 09 - Memory Failure

EDIT: Also the next one might take me a little bit, my sister gets married in about a week, and I'm part of her bridal party and helping evenyone to get set up.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is that the guide that gave you less and less information as it went along or was that something i heard that wasn't true?

It was either a Turok 1 or a Turok 2 Guide, I want to say it was the Prima one for Turok 1. After level 4, it just stops giving a walk through and starts giving little screenshots that are a little less helpful them the Gamepro Protips of old. There was something along the lines of, Since you should be a Turok Master by now you don't need us to hold your hand anymore. Wouldn't even show the locations of the Chronoscepter pieces, just a screenshot that shows the piece in game and says look for this area.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

BMS posted:

I've actually got both of those somewhere stashed away. If you'd like I could try and locate them and post those helpful hints for the levels you beat (after the fact of course so as not to spoil anything major), with screencaps.

Yeah, if you could find them that'd be awesome. It's be cool to look back and see the guides that came out before they became encyclopedias.

Also operative lm that is the exact guide. I was so pissed because I bought that guide at Kmart, took it home, then read it. I probably should have read it before buying it, but I can't understand why a guide for a game, a 1st party one apparently, would only guide you through half the main game.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

You are my new favorite person.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

For those of you that were remembering this game having long complicated and confusing levels, I'm pretty sure level 5 is what you were remembering. I did about an hours worth of test recording today today and still haven't found a key.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Wedding sucessful, let's celebrate with a level that confused the hell out of me in practice recording, then took half the time in actual recording.

Episode 10 - Keeping Warm In The Catacombs

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 11 - I Love this Gun

More video, It's impressive how confusing this entire level is. Multiple dead ends leading off of branching paths, but since there's only one way towards progress you'll eventually find your way around, it just may take a while. At least we have the anchor of that one room that we keep popping in and out of.

New gun too, but not an explosive one. Still my favorite though.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 5, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'd forgot how great the auto map is until this level. It's just an intrusive enough to fade into the background after a couple of minutes.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Level 5 is finally behind us, no more getting lost underground.

Episode 12 - Exterminating More Species

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I finally realized to add in the new weapons to the OP.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 10, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Oooo, Treetop Village. That doesn't sound filled with jumping puzzles at all!

More of falling puzzles really.

BMS posted:

Also, I found something out from my handy dandy guide book (that I still need to scan up upload some poo poo from). Enemies will only respawn a set number of times!

:aaa: I never knew of this at all.

Also note bonus coming, taking a hilarious amount of time to edit.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Bonus 03 - Know Your Prey

Sorry for the inordinate amount of time between updates. Had some IRL stuff come up. Some good, some bad, most annoying, but all time consuming. Should be mostly taken care of at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Computer back in my hands so this should move along more smoothly than it has in the past couple months. That being said have some new content.

The best I could find for ancient ravens, not very ancient unfortunately. For the record, I love the feathers on dinosaurs and think they look awesome.

Episode 13 - I Want A Tree House Like This Even Today

• Locked thread