Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This thread has one of the greatest spoiler policies I have ever seen, so to celebrate it, here's my favourite part of the Turok games: I AM TUROK!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFnCWyXyEk

BMS posted:

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
they were. yes. i checked.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nintendo Power, I swear, at one point did a whole series of issues dedicated to Turok and Turok 2 basically providing a walkthrough for the whole game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

beautiful

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

Am I the only one that really enjoyed Seeds of Evil, (headshot gimmick included), and possibly enjoyed the Razor Wind more as a weapon than the Cerebral Bore?

No, I loving loved Seeds of Evil. Also, the Bore was a cool gun, but the Razor Wind was a much better weapon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok: Evolution had lots of dinosaurs!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
new Turok: Remastered screens: http://www.gamezone.com/news/feast-your-eyes-radical-action-shots-from-the-turok-remaster-3430633

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Dinosoids in Turok are related to the Kremlings in Donkey Kong Country (this was before the Acclaim and Rare split back in '01). You see, "tek" is just a mis-spelling of "tech", and we all know how much those kooky kremlings love to write hard "c" sounds with a "k". Hardcore Turok fans have long suspected their might be a crossover between Turok and Donkey Kong, but with Rare being owned by Microsoft and Acclaim dead in the water, it's hard to say. Maybe Turok will be a Smash Bros character. If Cloud Strife could make it, perhaps Tal'Set or Joshua Fireseed could as well :unsmith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that looks pretty good and i cant wait to play it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PSWII60 posted:

So I always thought the LP curse was dumb, then my lap top decided to start eating its own hinges and is now having an argument with its power supply and the two are no longer on speaking terms. One of them might be dead, I'll figure it out soon. Wanted to keep everybody in the loop. Back on track as soon as I can fix it.

It's the LP Blessing. Now you are free to return to your normal life and escape from all of us weirdos on the internet. The Gods of LP often give LPers this chance at freedom, but the fools that we are, we often refuse it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok remastered is on sale again. I picked it up this time. Nothing to say that BMS hasn't already covered, but hot drat does it feel great to play on PC controls. I don't think I can go back to my N64 version.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The explosive shells are plenty enough that you don't really need the back pack--as long as you've found all chronoscepter pieces before the campaigner. otherwise that fight can be a bit annoying. i actually thought this level was easier than the Treetop village and Lost Lands.hardest part was some of those jumps to secret areas in the beginning of the level.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i appreciate the comic write-up. i only ever read the Acclaim Turok comics (but i read all of them :shepicide:) and the more recent Jim Shooter reboot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Seiren posted:

I remember always wanting to play the first Turok, and now I'm glad I didn't. Most of these later levels look like an absolute loving slog to wade through, and you don't seem to have many good options for dealing with enemies outside of explosive shells or too-heavy ordnance.

Turok 2 might be much better in that regard. I could never finish it; but at least random mooks are hurt by your lesser arms!

the Turok Remastered game is loving marvelous and i had an absolute blast playing it. no joke, it was a joy to play and i wish there were more modern games that played like it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

What in the hell is that in the bottom right corner? I just know this can be turned into a forum emote or smiley/animation thing or whatever SOMEHOW............

Hey BlindSally, didn't the above pictured thing's brother/lover/obvious relative play the big bad in your Shadows of the Empire LP?

Based on the fact that Adon is often seen as a hologram, I always thought of her more as a proto-Cortana. I've read a bunch of the Valiant Turok comics, which follow Joshua's extended universe adventures, but I haven't read a lot of the Acclaim ones where he and Adon have a thing, but man, looking it up, she gets crazy sexualized.

:psyduck:

What the gently caress is up with these covers. Anyways, Joshua seems like the kinda guy who likes to play the field, so I don't know how serious he and Adon were:

The older Turok comics were pretty bad for oversexualizing and making damsels of women. Tal'set was guilty of this too:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It was actually pretty amazing for its time. It hasn't aged well, but the same can be said about the first Turok. And, well, if the remastered version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is anything to go by, then the Turok 2 remaster is probably going to be a must play.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Speaking of Turok 2's rad soundtrack, there's been some interesting remixes of the ost on YouTube. Of the levels we've seen:

Main Theme (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPp5sHuclnI

Port of Adia (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJHAxj-n5A

Port of Adia (Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1A4dlQy0ko

Port of Adia (Synth/Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzTs_xZeV0

Port of Adia (Drum mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnCqgxtS6o

Port of Adia (Electronic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY1C3jWXydU

Adon's Theme (Progressive Black Metal!?!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlfbRb-IuM

River of Souls (Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFlRv35NOw

River or Souls (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB4DBI5RfB4

I couldn't find anything remixed for the Death Marshes--and obviously there's a skew towards people wanting to remix Port of Adia.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, yeah, I was gonna say: Port of Adia is a drat fine tune. Being that good is probably what helps.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Killzone 3 is still restrained compared to DOOM 2016, but a few of the melee kills were pretty gnarly. The fact that the camera lingers helps sell them:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gameplay is solid. It's your basic Call of Duty button set-up, but the game physics feel quite weighty, like a space marine loaded down with gear should feel. The first one is 100% skippable (ignorable even), but KZ2 and 3 are really solid. If you've a Vita, Mercenary is the best Killzone. KZ3 and KZ:Mercenary have the most responsive controls are probably the most fun to play from a pure gameplay perspective--they're punchy and satisfying. That said, there are a lot of peeps who prefer the slower more methodical approach to KZ2--a game that, moreso than the other sequels, has been boiled down to the bare bones FPS logic of "move=>shoot=>repeat".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
No release date was ever put out, but yeah, they want to do update models and do a bunch of other stuff with it--more than they did with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. My impression was that they were under some stricter deadlines for that one. Unfortunately, they've said that means Turok 2 is going to take longer to release than Turok 1 did.

Also, yeah, the System Shock reboot seems to have suddenly taken over all of Night Dive's attention. Their website and all its old links (including the Turok links :argh:) all redirect to their System Shock page--though admittedly, it all looks pretty sweet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've only played Night Dive's System Shock 2 remaster--and it was awesome!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, Turok: Evolution was... something.

Turok: Evolution for the GBA, meanwhile, was a pretty decent Contra-clone! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTdCeGOjd4 :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
gently caress, Shadow Man was such a slog to play. yes, I remember Jaunty. i also remember wanting to like Shadow Man and being unable. what a dull game

(never read the comics)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leavemywife posted:

Do we ever get an in-depth explanation of the Primagen?

I'm going to hope this hasn't already been answered.

uh, s-sort of? but not necessarily in game? some of this stuff appears in novelizations (the ones referred to in operative Im's post) and comics. i touched on it a bit in my Turok Remastered LP in the Casual Thread (PSWII60 joins me for some of the vids, for anyone who needs to hear more of his dulcet voice), but the Primagen was from an ancient alien race from a galaxy far, far away. They had solved many of life's great mysteries except for "where did we come from?" The Primagen was the lifeform that hoped to finally answer that question. Against the advice of its peers, the Primagen builds what it believes to be a time machine. Instead of directly transporting it to the Big Bang, the Primagen's Lightship punches a hole through a dimension called the Netherscape. While travelling through the Netherscape, the Lightship begins to act as a magnet and starts ripping up bits and pieces of different dimensions and worlds--those of the Blind Ones, humans, Alien Infantry, Dinosoids, etc. Eventually the Lightship leaves the Netherscape at the point where the Primagen thinks the Big Bang will occur. Instead, the hole in the universe made by the Primagen's Lightship leading to the Netherscape (I believe the implication is that it's a portal) allows all those bits of worlds to fly through and start bombarding the Lightship. This sends the Lightship spiraling into a mass of energy which triggers the Big Bang and sends the Lightship BACK into the Netherscape. Now, all those bits of universes had coalesced around the Lightship and had formed what appeared to be a brand new planet: The Lost Land. Due to the hole left by the Lightship, the Big Bang's energy begins to affect the Netherscape and throughout the universe's history strange portals and vortexes appear. These portals are just likely to send you to the depths of an ocean as they are to send you to the Lost Land, but they exist and account for any odd disappearances or mythical happenings in Earth's history. (The Lost Land's final composition winds up being surprisingly similar to Earth's, the implication being that as a result the portals on Earth are more likely to lead directly to the Lost Land than portals that appear in other parts of the universe--hence Turok being a human and not a Blind One or an alien mantis).

The events of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter culminate with Tal'set tossing the Chronoscepter into a volcano to destroy it and prevent any future Campaigners from trying to use it to take over the universe. The destruction of the Chronoscepter releases energy on such a scale that it reawakens the dormant Primagen in its Lightship at the core of the Lost Land. The Primagen, out of its coma, is all like "oh, loving poo poo, holy gently caress" and just wants to start up its Lightship to get the gently caress out of dodge--which is why it's trying to have the Energy Totems destroyed. Of course, if the Primagen succeeds, the very universe as we know it will come undone.

Enter Adon who enlists Joshua Fireseed to stop the Primagen.

(The following may be considered spoilers???)
There's also Oblivion, the gently caress off entity that is creating the fake talisman chambers. It's this ancient force that existed before the creation of the universe. When the Primagen's Lightship triggered the Big Bang, it destroyed the universe as Oblivion knew it, shattering Oblivion into countless pieces. The Lost Land's creation coincided with the creation of the Light Burden (I'm guessing the Light Burden's source of infinite power comes from the Big Bang itself???)--and the Light Burden is the energy source that is credited with nearly destroying Oblivion and causing it to experience fear and pain for the first time in its existence. Thus, Oblivion believes the Light Burden and everything related to it must be destroyed--including all Turoks. If Oblivion can destroy the Light Burden, then the universe will collapse back into its pre-Big Bang state--the oblivion that Oblivion so adores.

When the Primagen started working to power up its Lightship, therefore destroying the Lost Land, Oblivion saw this as a means to an end and tried to lend its support from the shadows--through the fake talisman rooms and the Flesh Eaters, which are also known as "Oblivion Spawn" (three guesses why). When Joshua Fireseed inevitably defeats The Primagen, as we all know he will at the end of Turok 2, Oblivion is forced to step up to the plate and act directly to try and return the universe to its pre-Big Bang nothingness.

So begins Turok 3.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Serious Sam 3 kept it up, didn't it? Also, Half-Life 3 will have non-regenerating health (keep reaching for that rainbow, Valve, never give up hoooooope!!!). Oh, and I believe F.E.A.R. only had limited health regen if you go below 25%. There's also indie titles, like Tower of Guns, and mods, like Prospekt, that keep the dream alive. It's just much less prevalent.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that's the larval stage. hth

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

c/o the wonderful Faerie Fortune: the PC remaster of Turok 1 (shown off by Blind Sally in the Casual Thread) is currently 75% off on Steam (just $5) for the next two days, just as a heads up.

I came here to post this :argh:

Also, Turok: Remastered now has a level editor!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

FYI, if you have Turok 1 Remaster in your Steam library, you get 25% ($5) off of Turok 2!

gently caress yes. just got this for basically half price thanks to this. halfway through port of Adia and this remake is pretty great so far. definitely delivers.

Tofu Survivor posted:

E: Oh, also! I skipped the Turok 1 remaster so I dunno if it was present there, but they've added a clamber feature into Turok 2 so laser-precise jumps are basically a thing of the past.

no clamber in Turok 1 Remastered. it's works really well in this one though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Thank you, Turok!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's this topic on the Steam Discussion page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/0/135511757695213567/

"Edward850 [developer posted:

22 hours ago"]
Texture problems? Try this!
Some people have been having problems with textures flickering in and out depending on what angle you are looking. If this affects you, and you have tried updating your graphics drivers (especially important form AMD GPUs), try the following:

Open the console (~, next to the 1), set r_gl_useUniformBuffers to 0 and restart the game.
(If for some reason you can't operate the console, look for the value in your kexengine.cfg in your Turok2 folder, and change the value there.)

It seems that while Uniform Buffer support should have been detected, some GPU drivers are misreporting support for the function, and it needs to be turned off manually.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:cheers:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Remaster's Plasma Rifle is definitely functioning like Dinosaur Hunter's Alien Weapon, but it's so much more powerful. It's actually awesome and useful now! Endtrails and Blind Ones fall before me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I always felt Tek Arrows were superior in Turok 1. They'll kill Endtrails in one-shot on Norma, at least.

Also, yeah, I've gotten a bit lost in some of these levels. Port of Adia and Death Marshes are pretty straight-forward, but finding all the Sisters of Despair in the River of Souls was a bit nuts, not to mention just getting through the Lair of the Blind Ones.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

The Mantid Hive is insane. Hardcore mode is no joke. Those damned soldiers are BEASTLY. Thankfully the workers and the mites fall incredibly easy to the firestorm cannon, and there's no shortage of Energy Cells in this level!

That being said, I can't wait to see how much easier tracking down those Primagen keys is going to be with the warp function using the checkpoint stations. So far this is incredible. Next up, Talon/Warblade only hard mode!

finally had some more time to play this and got back to the Mantid Hive--I think I'd blocked this level out. i mean, i remember playing it, but i don't remember it being so loving long. awesome level, but holy poo poo is it overwhelming! the flamethrower is also pretty good at wiping out the various mites and workers fast, and it also makes drones run in agony and pain keeping them off your back long enough to hit them with something else. (PFM Layer is also great at taking out large groups of mites and workers. Drop one, kite them back into it, and they all drop dead in a single blast).

I almost feel Nightdive is providing patches and bug fixes too quickly, though. My older saves are a bit buggy and I keep having to tweak settings every time a patch drops just so it'll play properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finally had time to start this on Hardcore. Hot drat, is it satisfying but holy hell are Endtrails a loving nightmare.

(I've never gotten so much use out of my bow before, though)

edit: and Oblivion portals certainly don't mess about anymore either

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread