Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My parents never let me play bloody, gory games as a kid, but for some reason they made an exception for Turok. Some of the best FPS weapons ever come from there. Thanks for LPing this.

Will you be showing off Rage Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zushio posted:

Ha ha, most likely if you ever went looking for an LP of the Turok games. He was at least decent at the games and covered the original trilogy. Everyone else was either terrible quality or cam whoring.
Why isn't Turok a more popular LP game? Is it because of the horrible quality of N64 emulation? Either way, I requested Turok in the official request thread a couple of years ago, so I'm glad to see someone fulfill it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I always wondered why the box art for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter had someone different than the Turok that you play as (Tal Set). The mini comic that comes with the instruction booklet has both Tal Set and the guy on the box. Ultimately the Turok that isn't Tal Set defeats the Campaigner by stumping him with baseball trivia or that old "Who's on first" bit. Something baseball related, in any case. I'm not sure exactly how that works but it was an interesting read.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zain posted:

Part of me wonders what happened to Turok. Like why did it lose its charm?
Acclaim went out of business a while back, and whoever got the rights to Turok obviously didn't care about making the more recent games worth playing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way PSWII60, I think you should do the longer videos like the one in the latest update, since the levels are big.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

Ok then, longer vids will start after this upcoming one. There was a lot less level left than I realized. Level 3 is absolutely huge, and I can't wait.
Is that the level with the first boss battle or is that level 4?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Big head mode also makes the enemies have lower voices. I'd always giggle like an idiot when I heard the boss of this level say "HEY!" with his big head.

There's a code in Turok 2 that changes all of a certain pickup into a face of somebody who won a Nintendo Power contest. I miss cheat codes and Nintendo Power.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Next time you die, can you show the entire revival animation?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Nintendo Power, I swear, at one point did a whole series of issues dedicated to Turok and Turok 2 basically providing a walkthrough for the whole game.
I don't remember one of these for Turok 2, but I know that they had an issue where they provided maps of all the levels of Turok 1, which included all the important pickups. That was back in the days when they had mini-strategy guides and maps for certain games- usually up to a certain point, like halfway through. There were exceptions, though, like for Turok 1 and Super Metroid (although they only did the latter when that got an official re-release).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

open the door/get on the floor/everybody shoot the dinosaur

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least you've got a kickass boss fight at the end of that level. I believe that's where you get one of the keys.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah, '90s FPS maps where everything looks the same... gotta love 'em. At least the automap saves you from having too much frustration.

And hey, you got the Particle Accelerator! Now you can finally kill those drat monkeys. Unfortunately there's no reward for doing that, but it's something you can do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oooo, Treetop Village. That doesn't sound filled with jumping puzzles at all!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dinosaurs looking closer to birds is both extremely disappointing and kinda cool. The real velociraptor looks more video game-like than the video game version (which is really just the Jurassic Park version).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Naturally, the weapons the aliens use in this game are called "Alien Weapon." It's no Particle Accelerator or Cerebral Bore, that's for sure. I think someone earlier in the thread called it an all-or-nothing weapon, which seems right- in this video you either did no damage to enemies or you killed them.

Edit Those lightning flashes aren't distracting at all.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 16, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This being Turok, they're not content with giving you just a plain ol' Rocket Launcher... you get one that shoots four rockets instead. Good hunting, indeed.

How can the Campaigner do whatever it is he wants to do with an army of soldiers that miss spectacularly from long range? The Ancient Warriors can snipe you from almost off the screen. He has no excuse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

It just wouldn't be a Turok game without big outlandish and ridiculous weapons. It's why they stuck with me. More FPS games need stuff like that.
Boy do they ever. In today's average FPS, weapons are boring and you can only carry two of them at a time. We need more Turok, and not the latest version of it either.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I never played Seeds of Evil. I did, however, play plenty of Rage Wars. Cerebral Bore only shows up as a weapon you can pick up, as opposed to one that you come equipped with. But it's worth it to hear that drill sound effect as it kills an enemy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You could play as a raptor and a swarm of mites in Rage Wars.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, as you clearly showed off, you can never have enough weapons, health, and armor in this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I went to the Turok Wiki and found nothing. I'm guessing it was one of those things that sounded cool and they just rolled with it.
Seeing as this game was made in the '90s, I bet you this is the correct answer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The graphics aren't that much better, but who cares... there's very little fog, and that's what really counts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bawbzilla posted:

Really though. There's some pretty rad environments made in this game, which is sad when you find something huge and impressive but have to just imagine what it looks like in its entirety because you can only see ten feet in front of you.
There are a lot of early N64 games that could stand to use a graphical upgrade in that way. Cruisin' USA, I'm looking at you....

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

So I always thought the LP curse was dumb, then my lap top decided to start eating its own hinges and is now having an argument with its power supply and the two are no longer on speaking terms. One of them might be dead, I'll figure it out soon. Wanted to keep everybody in the loop. Back on track as soon as I can fix it.
I was gonna guess you had another wedding to attend to. How many videos are you gonna dedicate to the last level? And will you show off the multitude of cheat codes?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My mind wandered to this and the LISA LP yesterday. Good to see this one back on track.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd say that this looks pretty fair for a last level, since it's not leaving you out to dry with ammo. But you also said it took you 2 hours.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the robot's death cries. Then again, anything sounds lame compared to the primal screams of the human enemies when they die.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's still quite liberal with the ammo, but he's lucky he didn't die. The gloves are off.

Do they fix the Spiritual Invincibility glitch in the remastered version?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You said this level takes up 5 videos, right? I'd say that the last video was the hardest of the level, but I wouldn't know. I always cheated to the bosses.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As cool of a fight as Thunder is, he isn't quite as cool as a T-Rex in an F-14.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there any reason why you kept one Fusion Cannon charge during the T-Rex fight? If you're gonna show off what I think you're gonna show off, you can get another Fusion Cannon charge in that long corridor that leads to the Campaigner, since it contains one of every weapon in the game plus a backpack.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm not sure what Fusion Canon thing yall are reffering to so i guess i should be excited?
I could just say what it is since there isn't a "no spoilers" policy in this thread, but I'm sure PSWII60 will show it off, plus surprises are good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Big Head Mode looks better in arcade sports games like NBA Jam and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey than it does in FPS games. I miss cheat codes and those kinds of sports games. :(

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope you know that spoiler tags can cover images so that we don't have to see such a horrifying thing.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Turok 2 as I am with its predecessor, but I do know of a couple of weapons and one of the cheats that was the basis of a Nintendo Power contest.

Joshua Fireseed's "I AM TUROK" doesn't sound as good as Tal Set's, but he certainly does say it with more enthusiasm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does sniping have a point if enemies can pick you off from just as far of a distance without much effort? On the plus side, head shots look very satisfying to pull off, even in N64 quality graphics.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Somebody said that the Chronoscepter kills the Campaigner in two shots in the remastered Turok 1. I guess they drastically decreased the amount of damage he needs to take to die overall. The fight does look pretty tedious in the original, but I think they swung it in the other direction a little too drastically.

Great write-up!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:stare: Those are some grisly deaths, especially for the N64.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Those sniping sections look like a pain in the rear end unless you get a headshot off the bat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm still upset that Acclaim went bankrupt. Sure, a lot of mid-sized video game companies bit the dust (or were bought out) in the past decade, when a few big developers have solidified their hold on the rest of the big-name video game industry, but Acclaim's hurts more than most. Ditto Midway... now NBA Jam and NHL Hitz are owned by EA, and they'd rather make sports simulators than sports games where you can do fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

They can't make good simulators either (at least hockey ones, which would be the ones I care about). RIP 2K Sports :saddowns:

edit: okay 2K Sports isn't dead and they're still doing their NBA games and WWE stuff, but no more NHL 2K
Sports simulator games have fallen dramatically in quality since EA got the exclusive rights to make NFL and NHL games. It's almost like competition drives creativity.

I read that "Breaking Madden" series on SB Nation where they created a team that consisted completely of quarterbacks. Because you can't turn off their stupid rules and have fun with Madden, the amount of hoops they had to jump through in order to achieve this was mind-boggling.

• Locked thread