Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I remember always wanting to play the first Turok, and now I'm glad I didn't. Most of these later levels look like an absolute loving slog to wade through, and you don't seem to have many good options for dealing with enemies outside of explosive shells or too-heavy ordnance.

Turok 2 might be much better in that regard. I could never finish it; but at least random mooks are hurt by your lesser arms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Haha, that leg :allears:

As I've likely mentioned early, I'm not particularly familiar with the first game, and I'm relatively glad I missed it. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it enough, but I played Goldeneye first. A lot of those later levels looked like an annoyingly brutal slog with the rapidly-respawning enemies and too little ammo to properly deal with threats. I certainly wouldn't have finished the game, less because of ineptitude, but more out of frustration & despair at the seemingly never-ending levels. Those stages got ridiculously huge, and that stronghold the Campaigner had going on is seriously no joke. Just watching the videos it seemed to be long enough to dwarf the entirety of the original Doom. It was like, what, five 20~30 minute long videos played by a competent player knowing what he's doing. And then the finale versus the Campaigner, immune to two of your best, more limited weapons "because". I'm probably just nitpicking, since from what I remember, Turok 2 also had some really long levels, and a degree of scarcity with ammunition/health pickups and such. I also didn't finish it, but if I'm remembering things correctly, the enemies aren't immune to anything, and all of the guns are useful, some of which have infinite uses. Can't be sure about the bosses, though, I've never fought them "fairly".

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Fatcat214 posted:

I can't wait for you to get to the Lair of the blind ones, because that level, even with a walkthrough makes me feel so :negative:
That's the one. I walked into that level with full health, full ammo, and all the lives I could stand.

I got a game over, and couldn't keep going. :(

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Dzhay posted:

I had forgotten how much better Turok 2 looks.
Funny thing about that, actually. Turok 2's graphics are so good the N64 can't really handle them well. Even without 'Hi-Rez' enabled, this game will absolutely chug hard whenever stuff is actually happening. It's a fantastic game, but I feel like if they dropped the admittedly superb graphics (it is very much the best-looking game on the platform from a purely technical standpoint) down a notch or two, the game would run far more smoothly. It might just be optimized poorly, but I'd lean towards the former. I'd be surprised if they didn't use every ounce of memory on the cartridge. The saying 'ahead of its time' applies here, but in a bad way. There was a PC port, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really tell you if that fixes those issues or not.

I'm also going to disagree with PSWII60's dislike of the melee weapon. I always used it against Raptors since it's far easier to land hits, and would frequently kill or decapitate in one, two hits. But I might be remembering that the War Blade upgrade instead, which murders the gently caress outta trash-melee enemies like Not-Leapers, Raptors, and Entrails when up-close.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Tu-rok
Too-rock.
Two-Rock.

holy poo poo i just realized it's an analogy for testicles :aaaaa:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

"What's better than four women and eight titties? FOUR WOMEN AND SIXTEEN TITTIES" *downs a glass of fine wine*
-Joshua Fireseed

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I never managed to finish Lair of the Blind Ones, I completely forgot there was a flamethrower in this game, and I don't recall the charge dart rifle being so good. I am bad at Turok 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I'm not going to ask what the price of that was, so instead, I'll mention a few things about Turok 2 multiplayer with experience based on the extensive knowledge I have on the subject three or four times I've played it with multiple people. :v:

Maps:
H 2 Whoa! and the teleporter map are the most interesting of the bunch by far; with H2 having magic walls of water, and the other map being laced with teleporters to make things a little more exciting. The rest aren't memorable and are usually halves of a mirror image.

Game modes:
Just like the real-life school-recess version of the game, Frag Tag is awful and not fun with only two players. It's actually fun with three players, and becomes a blast with four players. Non-monkey players can kill the other players too (eliminating the well-armed competition!) but receive no points. Same story with Team Blood, but it's only fun with a full house of four players.

Characters:
General notes - Outside of innate abilities like movement speed, health, and regeneration, the size of the character model dictates the size of their hitboxes. There's a setting that disables innate abilities, making everyone the same speed and health with no regeneration. Size is still a factor, though, and the Raptor does not change.

Joshua Fireseed has no notable abilities other than being "average". He'll be used as a comparative baseline.
Adon has fast regeneration, is the 2nd fastest in movement, but has the lowest health. She'll recover 1hp/3sec. Also suffers from "Oddjob" syndrome, being about a full head shorter than Joshua.
Triceratops "I even impress myself! :downs:" Man moves slightly faster than Joshua and is also slightly taller. Also comes with slow regeneration (1hp/5sec). He has lower HP to compensate, and also has a larger 'headshot' hitbox.
Flesh Eater moves only a little slower than Joshua, and has more HP. It's a much bigger target though, so the extra hp doesn't account for that much.
Purr-Linn is the biggest, slowest, and has the highest HP at 140. Other than that, it's nothing special, and it's painfully slow.
The Developer Insert is the same as Joshua.
The Entrail and Fireborn are exactly the same, just different colors. Innates might be a little different than Joshua, I don't actually remember.
Tal'Set has more HP, and is a little taller than Joshua. Otherwise the same.
The Campaigner is...I don't actually remember due to him never being picked.
Raptor is actually quite a strong pick -- possibly even "overpowered" if multiplayer were to have taken off to a competitive level. It is the fastest playable character, and while the talons don't do much damage, by leaping around and at other players, you can get easy headshots for high damage. Incidentally, this makes a Raptor extremely hard to hit with anything if they're good enough to get close and stay close.

Weapons:
Crossbow is the default weapon. It does good damage on headshots. Infinite ammo, but Tek Arrows aren't available in multiplayer.
Assault Rifle is equivalent to a Mag .60, or the AR from Turok 1. It's a hitscan weapon, so the bullets will instantly arrive on their target. Recoil makes it difficult to hit with the full burst.
Charge Dart Rifle doesn't have a charge-up ability and bounces off walls as demonstrated. It massively degrades movement performance, impairs your ability to actually see anything with the red damage notification, and does damage-over-time throughout the entire electrocution. It's also a hilarious way to kill someone, making them spazz-out to death. Extremely fast and unpredictable.
Plasma Rifle is exactly the same as single-player, but the change from a beam to a ball-like projectile means it isn't hitscan like it is in solo-play.
The Cerebral Bore is not a one-shot kill gun as shown, but it does a ton (60? 80? Somewhere around there) damage on a successful hit. It's enough to kill Adon instantly, and will severely damage everyone else.
Grenade Launcher is exactly the same as in single-player, but I think it has a higher ammo capacity.
Firestorm Cannon hasn't been shown in single-player yet, but the difference was noted in video -- it has a spin-up time that gets removed in multiplayer. It's also an extremely weak weapon that the rate of fire is supposed to compensate for. It does not do this unless it consistently makes headshots. It takes the same ammo as the Plasma Rifle.
Mini Scorpion Launcher also hasn't been shown in single-player, and behaves very differently too. The much-larger cousin is coming soon; it's likely the change was made to have the obligatory "rocket launcher" weapon.

Underwater shares the same limitations as in single-player; except only the Raptor has a melee weapon.
Instead, the Harpoon Gun functions similarly to the Crossbow.
The Torpedo Launcher behaves exactly the same; including the movement capabilities of holding it.

Aside:
You can tell they really wanted Multiplayer to take off, saving your data to take to your friends' and accumulating a history of frags, wins, loses, and tags. It improved significantly for the third game, which was further refined into Rage Wars...which failed to take off and get 'big' enough for most players to care about.

• Locked thread