Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes, the concept of Doom was really improved by a bunch of platforming, a life/checkpoint system and constantly respawning enemies.

You mean it as sarcasm, but I honestly thought all those things did improve the experience. The life/checkpoint system is a nice improvement over the Save system of Doom, and also made it so that the game designers were allowed to through in more collectibles in there. The platforming expanded the gameplay so that it was more than just what FPS's usually were. And the respawning enemies helped teach you how to conserve ammo, and forced you to pick and choose your fights rather than trying to solve everything with brute force...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Doom was a bad game, or that there weren't complexities to the gameplay, but I really do think Turok expanded upon the formula in mostly positive ways. I remember reading that the main game designer for the game was a reputed perfectionist, and honestly, it really does show in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I have to say, I really, REALLY love the Longhunter. Not so much his humvees, but the Longhunter himself is such an amazing boss. He launches Sonic Booms at you, he does Tae Kwon Do kicks in the air, he's got a plasma rifle, he's constantly moving around and doing shoulder rolls all over the place...and that voice acting! That GRRRAAAAAUUGGGGHHHHH he makes every time you hit him :swoon:!! And then not only that, but he manages to be an extremely well designed boss. Tough, really tough. But not SO tough that you can't beat him without losing half your health when you discover diagonal strafing...

Seriously, this guy's just incredible, and so are his animations. It's really to the game designer's credit that they made a boss that would make such a strong impression on you. Like, holy cow, you just killed this fricken war machine of a man! Don't you feel like you're on top of the world?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So, I have a question for PSWII, or anyone else who's able to answer. Now, the game gives you some cheat codes if you meet certain conditions. It'll give you an infinite lives code if you get 9 lives and 99 Life Force tokens for example, and in the end credits, it gives you codes for Invincibility, All Weapons, and Unlimited Ammo if you beat the game on Hard. But, I hear that others can be unlocked by collecting enough Life Force tokens over the course of the game? But, there's not really a lot of documentation on that, so would anyone happen to know how that all works?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

BMS posted:

I've actually got both of those somewhere stashed away. If you'd like I could try and locate them and post those helpful hints for the levels you beat (after the fact of course so as not to spoil anything major), with screencaps.

Could you also post to see if it gives any info on how to unlock the cheat codes? I just finished the game while getting like, 2000 Life Force Tokens (yes, I committed suicide multiple times), and...no dice. I still just got the basic "All Weapons", "Unlimited Ammo", and "Spiritual Invincibility" trio.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 18, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

And it was here where I think the game designers might have gotten a bit carried away with what they COULD do...

Turok 2 in a nutshell everyone...No, really, it's amazing to me just how unpolished Seeds of Evil was in comparison to Dinosaur Hunter. The game spent like two and a half years in development while Dinosaur Hunter only took something like 9 months. And yet Seeds of Evil is the one that plays like an obvious Beta, while Dinosaur Hunter plays like the fully playtested and finished version. After all...

1) Turok himself moves much more sluggishly in Seeds of Evil than he does in Dinosaur Hunter, and he doesn't have Diagonal Running, meaning that he can't dodge attacks as effectively.

2) There's an obvious delay in Seeds of Evil's controls that is not there in Dinosaur Hunter.

3) There are frame rate issues in Seeds of Evil that are mostly absent from Dinosaur Hunter.

4) There are LESS levels in Seeds of Evil, and the save points are not as conveniently located.

5) Seeds of Evil is much more glitchy. You'll have crates blow up in some areas, only for the game to STILL have invisible barriers where the crates originally were.

6) No backpacks in Seeds of Evil.

7) That dumb head-shot gimmick that only served to make the combat clunkier.

8) ...and I could go on...

I'm not sure when we're getting to that game, but I played that for my very first time just a few months ago...and dang. Game really didn't live up to it's hype, did it o.0?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I discovered a while ago on my emulator that, apparently, you don't HAVE to have the stutter. There's an option in the menu that goes something like "Hi-Res On or Off" or something along those lines. The game STARTS OFF with "Hi-Res" turned on, but if you turn it off, I found that that actually solved the frame rate issues.

Course, it's still kind of bad design that they started you off on the option that lags the game, but still, they gave you the option. So I'm not nearly as bitter about that as I was in that post a while about. The rest of my complaints about the game still stand though.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Out of curiosity mostly, i looked up the ending to the 3rd Turok game and Jesus Christ the voice acting. They totally hosed up Joshua's character too, at least what character i imagined him having. The weapons looked interesting though? The napalm shotgun mostly got my attention.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I saw Eexecute do his LP of it. It's especially weird when you compare it to THIS game, which had almost no dialogue at all, yet had PHENOMENAL voice acting. This game really is amazing for just how much polish went into every little detail :) ...

Turok 3 Death Cries: uuunnngh....

Turok 1 Death Cries: GRRAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 20, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright everyone, I just got the Turok Remastered Version, and dang is it awesome! Trust me when I say that the improved draw distance isn't the ONLY new feature that the game has! Best of all, you don't even need to HAVE the bells and whistles if you don't want it! If you go into the menu, you can make the game run just like it did on the N64, with block(ier) graphics and everything!

But enough about that, I want to talk about how they handled the Campaigner boss fight, because as it turns out, they SIGNIFICANTLY changed that fight in almost every way. Two of the Campaigner's moves are different, he uses different voice clips at different times, his weapon resistances have changed, and even the cinematics have been tweaked! So, let's dive right in, starting with...

THE CINEMATICS

First of all, there's one rather cool change during the Campaigner's death throes...

Yes, you're seeing it right! Tal'Set HIMSELF is now standing right behind the Campaigner, flexing his muscles like a boss. In addition...

Nightdive has removed the GAME OVER message that used to be seen at this moment here. However, it DOES appear at the end of the credits, replacing the Cheat codes that you got in the original versions. So now, let's move on to...

THE MOVES

To start with, the Campaigner has always been a jumpy dude.

In fact, the guy was practically Tigger's long lost buddy. There wouldn't even be a reason WHY he was bouncing, he'd just randomly pound the ground. But in the REMASTERED version...

Ergh...wait, what, what's he doing?! What's he...

No, NONONONONONONONONO-

:kingsley: :kingsley: AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! :kingsley: :kingsley:

Yes, you are seeing that right. The Campaigner literally just launched my stuff 10 FEET INTO THE AIR!! Granted, I was diagonal jumping , but still, LOOK at that air time! And the fun doesn't stop there.

You see, in addition to sending you into the stratosphere, the Campaigner will actually home in on you as he's doing it. His attack literally functions as both a ground pound AND a homing missile rolled into one! The only way to consistently avoid it is to jump right as he's about to land. If you do it right, he won't hurt you, though he WILL still send you blasting off again. And speaking of heavy impacts...

Nightdive has also significantly increased the range of the Campaigner's melee attacks. It used to be that the guy had to be right up in your face to connect with any of them. The range on his attacks was SO abysmal, in fact, that you could literally trivialize the entire fight just by doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDswdN5wOI&t=45m44s

Yes, the guy would actually do nothing but flail at the air while you pounded him to death with the Auto Shotgun. Don't be fooled by the fact that the runner took damage; the only reason he took any amount of damage at all was because he was focusing more on killing him quickly than he was on not taking damage. If he had wanted to, he would've avoided every single one of those swings by just standing still, and occasionally tapping the Down-C Button.

In the REMASTERED version however...

Yeah, he's GREATLY increased his range. In fact, I'm willing to bet that they actually TRIPLED the range on his attacks! Now, you have to be much further away from him than before, which means...

That you're now vulnerable to his ranged attacks as well. Ergo, there are no safe places to be anymore. You cannot just lock him into a never ending chain of melee attacks like you could before. He'll simply just blast you away if you try that nonsense.

So that all sounds pretty insane, right? Dude's gotten a lot HARDER, hasn't he? Well, he has...buuuuut...he also has a new weakness...

WEAPON VULNERABILITIES

So, remember how the Campaigner was immune to almost all of your weapons in the original versions? Well, he's still pretty bulky...

But now you have a NEW secret weapon, the Quad Rocket Launcher!

WHOO, look at it go!

Holy cow...I just blasted away 75% of his health bar using nothing but Rockets! I got a Backpack, got my full retinue of 48 Rockets, and went to town on him! So, this then makes the Campaigner significantly easier than before, right? Well, actually, the Quad Rocket Launcher has a rather....steep downside.

For as powerful as the Rockets are, they also have a nasty tendency of hurting YOU as well. See, the Campaigner is almost ALWAYS charging right at you, which means that you could very easily end up getting splash damage. If that happens, you'll lose 20+ Health in the process. And to make matters worse...

The Rockets have a rather steep charge-up time, and the Campaigner is constantly jumping/teleporting/sprinting around the arena, so actually setting up the shot is easier said than done. If you're too close, you'll get 20+ Damage to the face. But if you're too far, you'll wind up missing. In this way, the Rockets are helpful, but they still won't save you if you lack skill.

And no, the Grenade Launcher still doesn't do anything. The Knife, the regular Bow and Arrow, and the Quad Rocket Launcher are the only weapons that have gained the ability to hurt him. Other than that, he's still just as much of a damage sponge as he was before. With that said, we find ourselves at the very final change...

THE VOICE CLIPS

Now, don't get the wrong idea. The Campaigner still has the same line delivery and the same voice as he did before...but his voice clips now play at different times than they did before. For example, remember the Campaigner's gloriously hammy victory quote? Remember how he bellows THE UNIVERRRSE.....IS MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE whenever you get a game-over? Well guess what? You don't need the game-over anymore! He'll now use that quote during the actual fight! You don't need to die anymore in order to hear him roar that line at the top of his lungs :allears:.

However, there is one other change. And unfortunately, it is, IMO, the one negative change out of all the others.

Remember how the Campaigner used to go "UUUUGGGGGHHHH!!" during his death throes? How he would roar in pain one last time, as he slumped to the ground? Well, those clips no longer play during his death animation. Now, the guy's just completely silent....for some reason. I don't know why they made that change, but IMO, I think it takes some of the oomph away from your victory. Good thing they added in Tal'Set, huh?

And that's all the changes they made to the Campaigner. As far as I'm aware, there are only two minor changes that were made to the other bosses. They got rid of the little tunnels that you could go in during the T-Rex fight, and you can now OHKO the Longhunter's trucks! Yes, just go right up behind them, strike them with the Knife as shown here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUA25UNI6I&t=7m20s

And there you go! No more Longhunter tedium! Other than that though, they were pretty much unchanged. The Campaigner was the only one that got overhauled to the extent that he did.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed that brief little write up. Have a nice day, and God bless you!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Somebody said that the Chronoscepter kills the Campaigner in two shots in the remastered Turok 1. I guess they drastically decreased the amount of damage he needs to take to die overall. The fight does look pretty tedious in the original, but I think they swung it in the other direction a little too drastically.

Great write-up!

Thanks Y-Hat! I really appreciate that!

As for the Campaigner's durability...well, I think the truth is a bit more complicated than that. I tried the Chronoscepter myself on Hardcore, and it seems like Night Dive changed the way it works. Instead of doing one big blast of damage, like it seemed to on the N64, it now does a series of continuous hits. So the more dead on accurate you are with it, the more damage you do. If you manage to be BANG on the money, you'll actually take off HALF of the Campaigner's lifebar in one hit.

The flip-side to that though is that, again, you have to be DEAD ON accurate with it. Otherwise, you'll only do about an 1/8th of the Campaigner's health. As for all the other weapons, it seems like the Campaigner is still pretty tanky against every other weapon. Explosive shotgun shells seem to do about as much to him in the Remastered version as it did in the N64. It's just that Night Dive seems to have tweaked the Chronoscepter slightly, an also turned off a few of the Campaigner's invincibility flags.

So, yeah, the dude does die pretty fast if you know what you're doing. But I think he's still a lot more satisfying to fight now than he was before, just because he has an actual chance of killing you this time. That exploit I mentioned above really did cheese the fight back in the N64 days...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of Turok 1, is it me or is 2 significantly slower paced? I'm kind of getting a slower more exploratory vibe, wheras 1 felt zippy like you were trying to find everything before the seemingly endless enemies overwhelmed you. At the very least you look like you're moving slower in 2.

That's right; and there's a good reason for that. The controls and movement speed both suffered a significant downgrade from the first game. Where Tal'Set ran really quickly, Joshua moves noticeably slower. Where Tal'Set had diagonal running, Joshua does not. And where Turok 1's controls were responsive, Turok 2's controls seemed to have a noticeable delay between the time you push something, and when Joshua actually RESPONDS to what you pressed. And...I think Turok 2's enemies were a little tougher and bulkier as well? I know you can turn the headshot option on and off, but, it still seemed to me like they were harder to put down than Turok 1's. And, this is without counting any of the frame rate issues you might run into if you leave the Graphics on Hi-Res...

I know the TC enjoyed Turok 2, so I won't talk smack about it any more...but Joshua is, indeed, a lot less mobile than Tal'Set was; that's why I'm hoping Nightdive buffs Joshua so that you DO move like you did in Turok 1.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 12, 2016

• Locked thread