Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yay, we're up to Turok 2. The only of the main three games I ever actually fully beat without massively cheating.

Which is saying something, because Turok 2's levels are labyrinthine and incredibly long. Not to mention I did not have the most amount of patience as a kid, so getting through those slogs was... something for me.

Though on a slightly more personal, and possibly cute note: Back when I was a kid asking for these games for Christmas, I hand-wrote my Christmas/Birthday lists, and apparently my handwriting when writing out 'Turok' wasn't the best, mostly because my u and r blended together. So forever more my family calls the games 'Twok' because that's what it look like I wrote. Ah, memories. :allears:

Also, I do not envy you when you get to Level 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ahh... Oblivion. I love those guys. Their designs are fairly neat, they're pretty challenging, and I admit I kinda like their 'lore'. But then I have a bit of a soft-spot for things such as this.

I do like the idea that they introduce in that from now on, every stage has two Warp Portals, and you don't know which one's which your first time through, so there's now always going to be the trepidation of 'is this going to be safe?' This becomes more so when you consider the Talisman chambers are required to beat the game. Of course, you don't have to do the Oblivion portals... but there is a very good reason to... :twisted:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

The Flesh Eaters are easily one of my favorite things in this game. The creature designs are good, but that cutscene perfectly gives the impression of "Oh poo poo, what did I just walk into? I'm really not wanted here." The environment is very dark, oppressive, and alien compared to the rest of the game too, just to add a little extra punch.

The opening for the next area is another favorite spot of mine.

Agreed. Though some of the voices I think might've been done better? I'll give it this, it's a hell of a lot better than what we'd get these days where they would all sound like the bass was cranked to 11 and the VAs gargling rock salt before each take. Having that nice actual variety in the voices really made you feel you were going up against a legion.

Also, yeah. Area 2 is awesome. The first section is so much fun. The rest of the level's pretty fun too, but I find it sort of interesting how if you look at the levels, there's definitely a sort of progression. You go from the Human lands in the Lost Lands to somethings more... Tribal for area 3, degenerating further in area 4, until you finally get to something completely bat-poo poo alien in 5 and 6, to show you really aren't in Kansas anymore (or wherever Joshua is from, I don't think it's really stated where his tribe is). All leading up to the final fight with the Primogen itself. Which is a fight I hated as a kid, and I can't wait to see you smoke 11 year old me at it. :v:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Good post :toot:

Since it was brought up, The River of Souls has a bit of an oddity in it. In the last level Adon brings up that the first mission objective you do would purify the River of Souls. I had always read on the internet that if you went back to level 2 after you did that objective then it would actually be purified and you were able to swim around in it to find cool stuff.

But of course that's not the reality, you never do get to see a purified river, although with a name like The River of Souls you woulden't expect it to be clean anyway would you?

I suspect that if Acclaim/Iguana had more time/space, it would've been. In fact, they might've even put a Key somewhere that you needed the river purified in order to get to.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I will reiterate, gently caress the river of souls.:argh:

Also thanks operative lm that is some awesome stuff

Yeah... yeah... River of Souls can be a royal pain in the rear end. Still better than Area 4. TIght winding passages that all look the same and are incredibly easy to get lost and turned around in? :shepicide:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I went an hour and a half before I got to a 3rd save point, I hope I didn't walk past one. probably gonna bring in a guest/guests.

Sounds about right. And I cannot blame you for wanting to bring in guests. Finding stuff to talk about might be hard.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yeah it came off a bit awkward that they just told us to kill the sisters without going into any detail at all. At least the tri-tank is awesome while it lasts, but it'd be a shame for that to not show up again.

I think the River of Souls could've had more explanation. Like, you're set up with this story of a city that flourished around the Energy Totem, then the Dinozoid army rushes in and slaughters a weakened military. However your missions are about the undead. Wat? :psyduck:

Also, Aidon's line about the Sisters of Despair so awkward because every other time she gives you a mission objective, she actually talks about it a little, so you're waiting for the explanation, then you just get 'Locate the energy totem, and defend it at all costs.'

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah I really don't get where the undead thing came from. I looked for and sort of context and came up empty handed, for the most part. There is something that would make a crossover in the comics that wouldn't really exist in the games. and that may be what it was based on. I'll explain my thoughts on that when I get to some undead though. That or there's something personal between Adon and the sisters.

Given how the Sisters look kinda like Adon, that would actually be something interesting. Overall though, the level is neat enough, though I think by the time you're moving onto Level 3 you're sick of Human-based terrain.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Knowing now that the game was suppose to originally suppose to be 8 levels, having what i think i remember to be the grenade launcher just kinda floating out over there taunting you to come back when you've made the river not poisonous to go get it is really just a dick move.

More of a dick move than that little cavern full of power ups in the second level of Turok 2

The mandatory backtracking in the game in general is a big issue, since it conflicts with some of the core gameplay ideas.

They wanted these big, sprawling levels for the player to explore every nook and cranny. This is cool, this is good. But, the levels are so big that when it comes time to revisit them for a single item, such as a key/talisman/etc, its a giant chore to slog through the level again, get to the point where you pick up the item, then slog all the way through the rest of the level. IIRC, the game throws you a bone and keeps the puzzles solved, but it's still a lot of level to go back through for one, maybe two items needed to complete the game.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

That's the one. :woop:

Also the next level is a bit more open, but everything after that takes place indoors. Granted some of those indoor locations are large and sprawling and there are a few outdoor locations but on the whole yes this one is more closed in than the first.

The sidegrade you could get to it in Turok 3 was neat. If there's one thing I like about that game, it's the alternate weapons you got depending on which path you took.

Having a fire-shotgun will never not be satisfying.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yay! It's back!

Also, I loving love the Shredder. It is one of the most fun weapons I've found in an FPS. In the later worlds, where there's lots of tight corridors, the Shredder truly lives up to its name. So go! Dine on turtle soup!

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I am glad to see I'm not the only one in the thread doing a joke like this.

As far as the Shredder goes, I find normal shot more useful most of the time than explosive. In big, open areas, explosive is better, but in tighter corridors, I found the normal shot gets more bang for my buck, so to speak.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

Nah, wasn't gonna backtrack until I had all the talismans. Lair if the blind ones gameplay is all recorded, roughly 3 hours of footage. I'll speed up the back taking, but it just feels like it would be wrong to not give everybody the full experience. Lots of new guns to show off at least though. I think five in total?

Christ on a stick. I remember watching an LP on YouTube years ago, since there wasn't anything on the archive. Poor sap got turned around in LotBO, ended up going backwards for like, 30 minutes. He had the sanity to cut to post commentary for it, and speed it up. Only going back to normal long enough so you could hear him scream in frustration (and I think throw his headset) when he realized what happened. Then he sped up the footage of him getting back again.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

re: Health Packs.

From what I've seen, most games that do Health Packs tend to be primarily Single-Player or trace their roots back there, like Team Fortress does. This (to me) is because finding medkits is supposed to be part of the challenge, making it from enemy pack to enemy pack and rationing supplies.

The games that do regenerating health are primarily multiplayer. Here, you want to be able to get back into the action after a scrap ASAP.

TF2/Overwatch circumvent that, because unless your character is meant to go behind enemy lines (where you're operating in Single Player mode), you need to go back to your game's mad scientist Herr Doktor to get patched up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I see Palpatine was involved in some of the design of the Mantid Hive.

"What do you MEAN the ammo is in an easily accessible location? Move it to an island in the middle of molten lava, so that our troops needs to have good jumping ability or fine control over their jetpacks in order to reach it and not die in the lava."

• Locked thread