Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RickVoid posted:

Oh, Turok. "We clearly have a deep and involved backstory around who you are, where this is, and why you are killing all the mans, but you don't care about that, so here's some dinosaurs to shoot with explosive shotgun shells." :allears:

Never got far in Turok 1, so I'm looking to see what I missed.

Mostly because the comics the game draw from really don't have that much going on with them either? A very abridged history that i recently learned when i looked up the Turok comics :v:

Essentially the character of Turok has been around since like 70's or 80's i believe? The only thing they took out of that was the name of the dude in the game (Tal'Set) and the setting (The Lost Lands). Even when Rebellion Comics rebooted Turok back around the time the game was released it still has very little to do with the game itself but i believe how Turok looks in game is how he looked in the comics? But in any case the game is basically only takes names from the comics and everything else Iguana Entertainment (before they split off and a good portion of them went on to make Shadowman, had no idea they also went on to found Retro though!) made up on their own.

Agreeing with the "this was my first major M rated game" sentiment going on, my dad didn't really care and my mom was the kind that was like "well as long as the blood isn't red it's fine" thing.

We would turn the blood back on when she left the room :v:

Edit:

Y-Hat posted:

Why isn't Turok a more popular LP game? Is it because of the horrible quality of N64 emulation? Either way, I requested Turok in the official request thread a couple of years ago, so I'm glad to see someone fulfill it.

Because the games are so loving huge it'd take forever to do. But apparently we have a brave one here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Huh, i got a bunch of names wrong, and wikipedia made NO mention of any the actual contents of the comics! I don't suppose the Oblivion poo poo came out of the comics at some point as well? Because while i never did play 3 the way they just kind of get dropped on you in 2 made me think they maybe there was originally a plan to have them show up in some kind of tie in so that "Primagen oh yeah also loving OBLIVION ITSELF" was going to be a bigger part of the game in some way? 2 is also so loving massive i don't doubt that the Oblivion guys had a bunch of stuff planned that got cut.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's why most of the guides i've ever rea recommend you don't go in level order since you'll run into dick moves like that, you can get the Grenade Launcher in Level 3 or 4? Whichever one was the one you're "suppose" to do after the intro level.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The first game isn't nearly as massive as my puny child brain is remembering. Maybe it helps that PSWII knows what he's doing and where he's going but so far the levels are pretty linear and despite the hugeness of some of the rooms there is usually only one way to go.

At least most of that will change in the sequel :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Finally broke down and played some Turok 2 tonight.

On the one hand, I'm way better at this game than I was 15 years ago, all objectives in the first level found and completed.

On the other, holy poo poo these controls are hot rear end. Tank controls, but my "turret" can rotate, but the rotation is super sensitive and the same stick controls up and down look and it also tries to snap back to the "middle" (which isn't) and UGH.

I think there's an option to turn the snap to aiming off but it's honestly bad either way since without it on you don't have a second stick dedicated to doing little microcorrections so you can see straight. But with it on trying to aim on to higher levels while staying mobile to avoid taking damage is impossible.

Pick your lovely poison and take it :( at least we have the PC re-releases coming out to fix these problems right?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is that the guide that gave you less and less information as it went along or was that something i heard that wasn't true?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I remember they did one issues that was basically the first half of Resident Evil 2, all the way up to the part where you talk to Chief Irons. So that wouldn't surprise me at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Good Lord that level looks like a pain to navigate, i look away from the video even for a second and i lose track of where you are in relation to everything else :psyduck: maybe it's a bit different when you're actually playing and paying full attention to the game though, the automap certainly helps too.

I also find it weird that we're about halfway through the game now right? Yet the most consistently powerful explosive we have in our arsenal is still the starting bow's alt fire! We're starting to get some of the crazier stuff with the minigun and the plasma rifle but it's not until either next level or level 7 where we get a proper rocket launcher.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 2, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I thing i could think of is that if you used a level warp cheat to go straight to the final boss you'd get the bad ending as the game checks if you have saved all the totems or not? Yeah the Cerebral Bore is made way better (aka more gory) in the game that nobody likes "Evolution"

Plus i'd argue that the Black Hole cube and Poison Arrows are better than the razor wind. What headshot gimmick are you referring to? Or is it simply that headshot damage exists?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

We get to see a few more types of dinosaurs in the next couple of levels. Plus one very important one as a boss

I guess the problem being if you never got very far in the game you'd never seen anything bigger than the raptor :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If nothing else it just means i'll be able to play these ancient games on my garbage computer just fine :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

This same studio is also doing Turok 2 right? As much as i love the N64 version i honestly can't wait to play it with much better controls AND improved draw distance on top of it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Bravo to the OP making this game look easy. Just spend the last 2 and half hours going thorough the first 3 levels and even with easier controls+reduced fog+vaguely knowing what's coming up because of the LP AND playing Normal Mode, this game is actually pretty tough.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

For what it's worth, it's like they took the best of both versions of the game and smashed them together into one! If 2's remake is going to be as good as this then i'm totally excited for it. The one thing to watch out for is that since the game overall runs much faster, the enemies also move around and shoot much faster.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Cheat codes are alive and well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Out of curiosity mostly, i looked up the ending to the 3rd Turok game and Jesus Christ the voice acting. They totally hosed up Joshua's character too, at least what character i imagined him having. The weapons looked interesting though? The napalm shotgun mostly got my attention.

I know we won't be getting around to it here for quite a while longer but i for one can't wait now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You're playing on a real N64 for this LP right? Because doing that section with a mouse and keyboard is hard enough, i can't imagine having to deal using the C-buttons and lovely look spring controller aiming.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So here's an interesting little thing i found. They call it a "documentary" but really it's one of the devs of all Turok games talking a little bit about each game.

Plus it's got a trailer for Evolution at the end of it which is just freaking hilarious to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_-PDJ51c4

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

There is definitely something screwy that goes on with the knife, sometimes it'll one shot leapers and regular enemies with one swipe while on the run. While trying to stand and fight is usually a pretty bad idea.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The only thing i'd call bullshit on in the final level being that they don't give you a backpack until right before the final bosses. An hour and half to 2 hours long for a level is a long time to go without loving up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I want to say the remake changed those deep pits into either insta-death ones or ones with lava right at the top so you could just jump out if you happen to fall in.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm not sure what Fusion Canon thing yall are reffering to so i guess i should be excited?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Huh, Campaigner also has that shield in the remake but i always assumed it was just something he could throw up at whenever just to spite you, didn't think it was an actual thing preventing you from using the "heavier" weapons to take him down faster.

Turok's dopey leg while he's running from the explosion in the ending was always my favorite thing as a kid :allears: That's not an emulation thing either as i remember that happening on the actual console as well. It's something that was fixed as well in the remake and was a little sad to see gone.

Anyway, grats on finishing the game :toot: Can't wait for 2.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

What was the obsession with big head modes around this time in gaming? Most FPS games in particular seem to have this as an option, i guess because 3D technology was new and most programmers had fun messing with values? Why was it usually called DK mode as well? Donkey Kong doesn't have a particularly huge head or anything.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It begins :getin:

My recent attempt at this game culminated in me spending an hour and a half going through the first level only to realize i missed a kid and a distress beacon and upon seeing i had to start over i just nope'd out of that immediately.

Not that i didn't enjoy the time playing, but it will certainly be a better expierence when the remake comes out in who knows when.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Fireborn are the badass looking black and red version of entrails you see in level 4.

Frankly i didn't think the enemies had names other than YOU FUCKER or GODDAMNIT WHY

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Another interesting thing is that the rocket launcher in the remastered version doesn't use 4 rockets per shot like it did in the original so that new rocket launcher vulnerablity is very :gibs:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Uh worded that wrong, you still get 4 rockets per pull of the trigger, but it only uses 1 ammo per 4 rockets!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

PSWII60 posted:

I'm fairly certain that's Adon. She's a little different in the comics. For instance, her and Joshua Fireseed are a thing in Turok comic land.

Wait really? So that whole "Adon likes Joshua" thing that kinda comes out of nowhere in 3 is from the comics? A bit strange if you ask me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Never thought Turok would be from an area so close to Texas :v:

Ah. Am. To-rock

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Good post :toot:

Since it was brought up, The River of Souls has a bit of an oddity in it. In the last level Adon brings up that the first mission objective you do would purify the River of Souls. I had always read on the internet that if you went back to level 2 after you did that objective then it would actually be purified and you were able to swim around in it to find cool stuff.

But of course that's not the reality, you never do get to see a purified river, although with a name like The River of Souls you woulden't expect it to be clean anyway would you?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

My best guess being that the Dinosoids set up the portals in some way? Or maybe the Primagen did so that his undead army would burst out of the city and take over the world? As the game goes on it seems like the dude has 6 different plans to take over the different worlds you go to so "summoning zombies by the water that literally causes death if drunk" seems like an okay idea to me.

Or maybe the developers just wanted you to fight zombies in one mission because it'd be cool.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Knowing now that the game was suppose to originally suppose to be 8 levels, having what i think i remember to be the grenade launcher just kinda floating out over there taunting you to come back when you've made the river not poisonous to go get it is really just a dick move.

More of a dick move than that little cavern full of power ups in the second level of Turok 2

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Interesting to know that Turok and Shadowman share the same universe! I wonder if Joshua ever went to Louisana and hung out with Michael LeRoi, or at least used his cab at some point.

I know in my head they did :allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

No idea but the game is pretty fantastic, it kinda suffers the same thing as Turok does where it can be easy to get lost in the sprawling levels and it cries out for a second analog stick for camera control.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm anxious to see if Chief-gives-you-power ups is impossible to hear over the music in the next video as he is when i'm playing the game on my own at home.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

River of Souls music does NOT sound good at chipmunk speed :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You must stop the Primagen finish the LP Turok!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Being the first level helps alot. Im sure a significant portion that played the game never beat it but drat if the soundtrack doesnt stick with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere? But it's worth mentioning possibly again that i like how big this level feels, not because it's a particularly massive level in terms of scale but just because you're in Purrlin territory and they are some very big boys. Some of those ladders that you climb are 2 or 3 Turoks across in terms of length! Really gives you the feeling that you don't belong there, that the only thing really separating you from the soldiers you rescue is the fact that you are Turok and therefor competent.

Also since there is insta-death water in this swampy area as well i wonder if the Death Marshes are actually geographically close to Aracie and the River of Souls. Knowing how the Lost Lands is this big weird bubble of time and space i'm willing to believe it.

• Locked thread