Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
yeah im just saying there's probably an addon on the asset store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Q: how easy is it to get into Unity without programmer skills? can you cobble stuff together click-drag Lego style with flow charts etc or do you actually need to write a code?

you can get stuff like Playmaker, and there's a section on the Asset Store for visual/flow chart coding. that being said, C# isn't super hard to get into, and you can learn a lot by tinkering with the standard assets and example projects.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Unity doesn't have a hypergraph. Maya has a hypergraph and it would be really useful in unity.

Unity requires some coding, im pretty sure you want be able to get far at all without coding.

Maya is a bunch of visual node connecting. imo

Vlad the Retailer posted:

you can get stuff like Playmaker, and there's a section on the Asset Store for visual/flow chart coding. that being said, C# isn't super hard to get into, and you can learn a lot by tinkering with the standard assets and example projects.

I've heard good things about this.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

unity is p easy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ue4 on the other hand - is easy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
go back to idiot project an see what I did with rod rocket.. not a line of code and I'm a fuckin pill janitor making that poo poo in my spare time. ue4 is the supremacy

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ok, i think i know what i want to make

i want to make a 2d water renderer. I've been watcing blender vids on how fluids work and I keep wondering how the mesh is being built and I came up with an idea I want to try.

So here it is, im coding stuff
-get a renderer and a physics engine (i may use libgdx with box2d or more likely unity)
-throw a bunch of cubes out as particles in an unseen simulation
-use the locaton of those cubes to run a marching cubes algorithm and draw that to a tex2d
-show the text 2d on the screen

And BAM! I think i have a 2d water simluator. I think I can do this in a weekend.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do it looking forward to results. show us the fails

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
janitor me some pills

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is a repost but I god drat love how this turned out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more respost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMBjgRYb4qE

and that. i like to put poo poo I made in game engine in idiot projects but I made that radiation engine and THEN created art with it. yospos art

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hey there's a toolkit for packaging Z-code games as standalone iOS apps

maybe I'll actually finish that tech bubel game I was working on so I can become e-famous

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey there's a toolkit for packaging Z-code games as standalone iOS apps

maybe I'll actually finish that tech bubel game I was working on so I can become e-famous

yes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

in 2045 ISIS burns the Great Wikipedia of Alexandria

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I fired up unity last night and start drawing pixels on a texture that was shown on a screen programatically.

Gonna work on the liquid thing I talked about. This was a first step - technical drawing poo poo. Feelin good

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I fired up unity last night and start drawing pixels on a texture that was shown on a screen programatically.

Gonna work on the liquid thing I talked about. This was a first step - technical drawing poo poo. Feelin good

you have a game in mind or just doodling into the cybersphere?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nitrocat posted:

you have a game in mind or just doodling into the cybersphere?

doodling

KoRMaK posted:

ok, i think i know what i want to make

i want to make a 2d water renderer. I've been watcing blender vids on how fluids work and I keep wondering how the mesh is being built and I came up with an idea I want to try.

So here it is, im coding stuff
-get a renderer and a physics engine (i may use libgdx with box2d or more likely unity)
-throw a bunch of cubes out as particles in an unseen simulation
-use the locaton of those cubes to run a marching cubes algorithm and draw that to a tex2d
-show the text 2d on the screen

And BAM! I think i have a 2d water simluator. I think I can do this in a weekend.

e: not quite a game, not quite not a game. interactive simulated stimuli... i dunno.

So far, I am 30 minutes in.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Emplacement by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I have been trialling some pixel art but I am not good, have a too fast idle animation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looking forward to out of shape ninja the game

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

actually that's kind of a good idea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ahmeni posted:

actually that's kind of a good idea

thanks i want 50% of the profits

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

akadajet posted:

a jump button which gets you 10-20cm off the ground and serves no purpose

you can try to climb over short walls but the character just grunts and scrabbles with his feet for a while, then falls down

throwing stars always miss

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
when you clear a level, the ninja throws a smoke bomb and when it clears you can see him crouching behind a too-small boulder, trying to disappear, trembling from crouching too long

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cool, I created a github repo for my iso liquid project. First time ive done that, got all the unity settings seutp right and the ignore file right. Pulled it down to another computer and it started working.

Right now, the thing only tracks the onscreen physics box and draws a line on the 2d gui texture in real time to track it.

Next I'm going to subdivide the texture represented by an array of booleans, then randomly flip them on and off and run marching squares on it. After that, I'll use the physics objects to flip the booleans in the array.

https://github.com/KoRMaK/IsometricLiquid

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

there isn't much to show when writing an IF game

basically my idea is taking the tech bubble ideas to their logical extreme and writing a polemic in a sort of parody of a mind forever voyaging

the frame story is your friend invented a VR helmet that puts you in the future. since he is a techbro libertarian, the future is the tech bubel future and he wants to prove to you that tech libertarianism works

you take an uber to work which gets in a high speed chase after running a toll and you have to escape

you get fired from your job because you got a one-star rating on peeple after they nearly run you over with a bicycle on the sidewalk

a drone with a camera flashes in your face constantly until you smash it as the solution to a puzzle and use its parts to solve another puzzle

you see pinkertons beating union organizers outside a clothing store

that kind of thing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cool but wehre are the bitcoins

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Use bitcoin to pay off police

What is IF?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 2, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

you trade a USB stick full of bitcoins you get out of a Bitcoin ATM for the 3D printer files to make a gun to shoot down the drone

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Luigi Thirty posted:

you trade a USB stick full of bitcoins you get out of a Bitcoin ATM for the 3D printer files to make a gun to shoot down the drone
this is good but you;re starting to spoil your own game

KoRMaK posted:

What is IF?
interactive fiction/text adventure

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

that's not actually what happens I just came up with that w/r/t buttcoins

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qntm posted:

a jump button which gets you 10-20cm off the ground and serves no purpose

you can try to climb over short walls but the character just grunts and scrabbles with his feet for a while, then falls down

throwing stars always miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKeFd4MKqE

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

that's not actually what happens I just came up with that w/r/t buttcoins

someone let that other thread know that someone finally said buttcoin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

covered a catwalk show last night, liked this from early on while I was just testing light balances

16:9 crops are cool

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I got the marching squares algo working and drawing

Next is combining it with the unity physics

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis