Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
:zaeed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
try modelling, echi, low poly stuff is easy and fun

im working on a calendar thing right now

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
This is really cool and I too want to play about with light and computers and poo poo, where should I start?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

now see theres my problem. im poo poo on the modelling side of things. maybe i could give it a go.

echi try Sculptris, its free and is very much a non-3d-brain person's modelling tool - it's just virtual clay you can tug and squeeze

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Its what I used to sculpt Frank here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217184

in a few hours while learning the prog.

Also I was covering a cabaret tonight, but I'm sure sword swallowing and knife throwing photos wouldn't fit in with all the computer stuff.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

now see theres my problem. im poo poo on the modelling side of things. maybe i could give it a go.
all you need is a cylinder and some spheres

then make it shoot light into a prism

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

NoneMoreNegative posted:

echi try Sculptris, its free and is very much a non-3d-brain person's modelling tool - it's just virtual clay you can tug and squeeze

Also I was covering a cabaret tonight, but I'm sure sword swallowing and knife throwing photos wouldn't fit in with all the computer stuff.

just post. no one even likes computers.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BONGHITZ posted:

just post. no one even likes computers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
does it have to be computer creativity

Ligature by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

this is great, thanks for the answer!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony ive aces posted:

all you need is a cylinder and some spheres

then make it shoot light into a prism

jesus

atomicthumbs posted:

does it have to be computer creativity

Ligature by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

nice! and yeah post your non computer creative poo poo for the winnnn

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I use the sculpting part of blender, I like the dynotopo feature. I just don't have the patience for great modelling usually. I'll post some horrendous poo poo I've made another time

vodkat posted:

This is really cool and I too want to play about with light and computers and poo poo, where should I start?

blender and luxrender are what I use and they are open source and currently maintained. the initial learning curve is a bit steep but once u get the hang it's fine and I can answer the questions

PLATONIC ANAL VORE posted:

yeah I like te low poly poo poo, and have done a fair bit but I still don't tend to have the patience to make poo poo look good,

ironically I can spend hours fiddling with variables to get the render to look better :/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

echinopsis posted:

nice! and yeah post your non computer creative poo poo for the winnnn

thank u. i take a lot of photos and do a lot of video stuff, but it's all hybrid things - either digitizing and editing old VHS and betacam tapes, or taking photos and scanning and editing them.

this one got me a scholarship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7roRkORL8

in combination with some photos, anyway. here goes some ~epic photo spam~

Untitled by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Ask For Our Free Cup Of Coffee by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Awaiting the Light by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Communications by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

No More Crises by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Undulations and Bush by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

when you learn not to rely on the wonders of man by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Bay Morning by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Sea by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Water Hazard by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Leaving by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Nothing by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Hendrix by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Ghosts by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just thought this place/thread could also be a free crit thread. dont aim to hurt peoples feelings

at times I'm not sure how sure to react yo your pictures. im always intrigued by each image but not always sure why... and in part they make me feel not good enough to view them, or not good enough coz i don't get them? idk.. america has lots of photo opportunities but its amazing how america is always america... drat son. thanks

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

atomicthumbs posted:

thank u. i take a lot of photos and do a lot of video stuff, but it's all hybrid things - either digitizing and editing old VHS and betacam tapes, or taking photos and scanning and editing them.

this one got me a scholarship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7roRkORL8

in combination with some photos, anyway. here goes some ~epic photo spam~

Untitled by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Ask For Our Free Cup Of Coffee by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Awaiting the Light by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Communications by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

No More Crises by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Undulations and Bush by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

when you learn not to rely on the wonders of man by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Bay Morning by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Sea by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Water Hazard by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Leaving by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Nothing by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Hendrix by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Ghosts by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

some good photos bro

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

take a photo of dick and balls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just what the internet lacks

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

i really like this one

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dodoman posted:

i really like this one

BIG SECRET: that purple blotch over on the right was a speed limit sign that glowed horribly bright bc i used the on camera flash, but i got rid of it.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Have you considered modeling something with 3D Builder, part of Microsoft Windows 10???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what> i dont use wondiows 10

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

echinopsis posted:

i started like the 5th iteration after deciding that I needed to simplify significantly if I ever wanted to finish it at all. but then I remembered all the cool things I had done that werent in this one. and I couldnt make up my mind abuot things or get things looking the way I wanted because I am terrible at 3d modelling. i have tumblr blogged about my intentions lots but they never pan out

im still proud of what I managed to ahcieve

3D renderings + beep boop music = demo type thing

the 'scene' probably has tons of rules about rendering in realtime and stuff, but just make things that look and sound cool and upload to youtub.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this program is neat but it crashes every time I get too excited pressing things in it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

don't make game

make demo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doc Block posted:

there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

this is mega hilarious

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

definatley into this thread

tried this stuff years ago, stopped because i thought it needed to be bigger

gonna try agin with the goal of making cool webm's

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
this thread owns

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

gonna try agin with the goal of making cool webm's

don't make webm's

make h.264's

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"we bm" - the call of the open sores video community.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
last time i effortposted in a yospos hobby thread it got moved to the diy forum. nice try, not gonna fall for it again

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

last time i effortposted in a yospos hobby thread it got moved to the diy forum. nice try, not gonna fall for it again

ugh i hate when they do that

like when they move something from gbs to qcs or pyf - im not going into that loving forum ever

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
sometimes i take pictures of space stuff. i'm not very good at it but am learning bit by bit.

(click for bigger)

looking forward to getting a better camera for it and taking my scope up north this winter

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

KoRMaK posted:

ugh i hate when they do that

like when they move something from gbs to qcs or pyf - im not going into that loving forum ever

lol u go into gbs

please do so again

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

to save the rest of your from my inane renderings I've created this wee thread. a bit like the idiot projects, only more art rather than project focused

that is cool

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

PLATONIC ANAL VORE posted:

i've seen ur stuff before. you rule

this really, really owns

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
one of my musics things

https://soundcloud.com/paradoxiconduit

i never update it oh well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

this program is neat but it crashes every time I get too excited pressing things in it

blender is surprisngly capable at sculpting and it had a dynamic topology thing where you can just add mesh density on the fly when sculpting depending on your needs which is actually a handy as gently caress feature . it's not as good at millions of polys like the pro apps but fine for what you're wanna do I suspect and then also u have direct rendering pipeline rather than relying in something else

scultpris might be capable too but it feels like a toy, like baby's first sculpting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

don't make game

make demo

like a demo of the game? I already did kinda. I released it and you could do some poo poo but there is just so kuch else for people to in life rather so

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

like a demo of the game?
no you doof

edit: here's one that focuses more on 3d models

also what happened to your avatar, i've been meaning to ask

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 11, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i am wholly uncreative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

one of you nerds should make me a sw8 rendering of total internal reflectance in a parallelogram with some dimensions I can specify after I shake you down for your lunch money

• Locked thread