Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, that's great and all echi

but is it as cool as the Apple logo if it were made of cocaine?

is the bounciness a separate factor that you defined for the individual particles or is it just a natural consequence of the entire system?

I don't know poo poo about physics please reprimand me if what I asked was dumb

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

this is great, thanks for the answer!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

echi try Sculptris, its free and is very much a non-3d-brain person's modelling tool - it's just virtual clay you can tug and squeeze

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Its what I used to sculpt Frank here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217184

in a few hours while learning the prog.

Also I was covering a cabaret tonight, but I'm sure sword swallowing and knife throwing photos wouldn't fit in with all the computer stuff.

this program is neat but it crashes every time I get too excited pressing things in it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

TRON JEREMY posted:

i'll be posting in/around/all over this thread. for an example of the smaller idiot projects i do, peep the sig

I like how the little halo appears like poof

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

TRON JEREMY posted:

todays draw

(photoshop, wacom intuos pro)

I didn't know photoshop could emulate watercolors this way, I thought this was more of a corel painter specialty? but in this case maybe it's more of a tablet pressure thing?

also I could swear those lines came from a real pen, drat technology is amazing

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Valeyard posted:

is this meant to be fred flintstone transformed into a bike

holy poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

this isn’t a render or anything at all I’ve created on this computer but simply a picture of some birds on a birdfeeder. this is literally outside my kitchen window, about 1 meter out in fact, I had to stand back with a long lens to get any kind of focal contrast going

whoa you live in a jungle

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's also kinda funny how even your rl pictures have the Grainy Echinopsis Aesthetics™

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

wayfinder posted:

i drew a thing

nice self portrait

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Tatsujin posted:

gonna write a github page on how I went from retarded hosting company sysadmin to slightly less retarded devops learning type person, talk about tools, IaaS poo poo/concepts, and basically how not to gently caress it up like me.

Git for

that's cool and I'm looking forwards to it but computer janitor sysadmin stuff ain't exactly considered a "creative endeavor" itt

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
but I don't really care because computers are beautiful and true art in any form

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Barnyard Protein posted:

horse poo poo next to echi's stuff, but i've been working on implementing graphics primitives in a functional fashion. the most presentable thing i've gotten so far is this zoom-in of an anti-aliased sine wave. it generates a list of vectors, creates a 2d-histogram of how many vectors lay inside a pixel, then colors pixels with more hits a darker color. finally it writes that info directly out as a bmp :smugmrgw:

is that racket

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
also I want to make a new personal website just to hire echinopsis to make a logo for it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
she looks like some sort of space aristocrat

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

FPS on that GIF is set to 60, maybe you're computer is a POS?

chome is bad at displaying gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
doc block watching this is making me sick

• Locked thread