Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

that's loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BONGHITZ posted:

just post. no one even likes computers.

• Locked thread