Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's great and all echi

but is it as cool as the Apple logo if it were made of cocaine?

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
there are other methods, but :effort:

like, there's swept volume collision checking. that's still done in discreet steps, but instead it extrudes each particle along its direction of travel by however much it would move in that step, then checks to see if it would collide with any other extruded particles, which has the advantage of letting you know if particles will collide in that step before moving them so you can only move them to the point of collision or whatever instead of having them overlap.

but that's a lot of extra math and poo poo for what's just a toy app. the morgan freeman simulation had approximately 250 thousand particles and took 43 minutes to simulate.

edit 2: "fun" morgan freeman simulation deets:
Simulation time: 2584.749540 seconds
Render time (frame only): 1.479263 seconds
Render time: 11.084245 seconds
Save to file time: 9.600084 seconds
Total frames: 240
Average time per frame: 10.815991 seconds
Shortest: 6.651670 seconds
Longest: 55.615163 seconds
Total time: 43 minutes, 15 seconds

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 9, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

gonna try agin with the goal of making cool webm's

don't make webm's

make h.264's

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

you gott kern that poo poo bro, too much space between the j and e [and probably the e and t]

w e s tj  e t

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

:rice:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

e: lmao just found this old one of mine on my parents imac:

holy poo poo 14 years ago

I'd be stoked as gently caress if I woke up tomorrow and could draw that well

edit: 1 month before 9/11 :aaaaa:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

:gizz:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
almost certainly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
built an animation stand to do stop-motion animation for... stuff.

gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

poo poo

and anyway it's "Look on my works" so whatever

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

v nice

(that's a lot of air resistance)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

thanks dudes. funily enough the realy spotty effect from a low samples per pixel which turned out more charming than the smoother version after i lefdt it all night

the noise or w/e looks like little particles of dust floating through the glow

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yeah i know! and I can't think of an easy way to recreate it properly without manually placing dozens of little meshes

Does Blender/whatever not have a particle system?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Niiiiiiiice!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
that's the kind of thing you do at the compositing stage, so you can tweak it without having to wait hours for the result

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
No, it's fine and a cool idea.

this thread is for constructive criticism, circle jerking, and general positivity.

anyone who doesn't like it can take their negativity and gently caress the hell off.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ur so gonna burn in hell echi

edit: i chuckled

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
More experiments with my new AppleTV dev kit and Metal: particles

edit:

Ocrassus posted:

so I'm not very good at photos but I was quite impressed with this one that I took of the Tokyo skytree.

shot on iPhone 6S

Nice!

MY TABLES!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
65535 particles :supaburn:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
FPS on that GIF is set to 60, maybe you're computer is a POS?

edit: you're context sucks

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
here, watch it @ 1080p 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMrc4d5AKlc

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IF you have the new Apple TV

AND IF you have it connected to a Mac running OS X El Capitan via USB

THEN you can record video off of it using QuickTime Player

(File->New Movie Recording, change camera and microphone to AppleTV)

edit: this also works for iPhones and iPads connected with a lightning cable and OS X Mavericks or Yosemite

and the video quality is way better than what you get with Reflector etc.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 9, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

doc block watching this is making me sick

:tipshat:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Textured point sprites are fun

In full 1080p 60fps glory: